• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Realistic expectations with the 338

csloop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2012
alabama
As the title states I am wondering what are some real expectations for the 338LM. I am just now able to start looking for a node for my newly built 338 and am wondering what kind of velocity I can expect with standard mag length, around 3.65 oal. I am just wondering if I should even fool with the 300gr projectiles. I started thinking I would shoot only the 300gr Bergers, but velocity may not be to my liking. Is it possible to think if I went with the 250gr Bergers I could achieve 3000fps. Barrel is a 29" broughton. Thanks guys for your input

TRG42 seated at Sako mag length.

250SMK with 96.4gr H1000 I am around 2975fps. I went all the way up to a little over 98gr with no pressure signs but settled at this due to accuracy and plenty velocity for my use.

Started on the berger 250 Elite Hunters but haven't got to work up to same velocity yet as I started at Bergers load data. Which using their max put me at 2750~2800 fps. I'm planning to see if I can get better velocity out of it next trip.

On a side note I am finding the Bergers are copper fouling quite a bit more then the SMK's. I thought it was rust at first was relieved when I figured out it wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man I currently have retumbo and the 300s. I have just been looking at some trajectory numbers and the 250s running 3000 fps seems to outdo the 300s running at 2700 on everything but energy.

I get 2985fps with 250s out of a 26" barrel, so you'd likely get 3000fps out of yours. The 300s are definitely on the heavy side and favor a longer barrel, in my opinion, as well as a faster twist while the 250s are about the most forgiveable mass bullet for that cartridge. If your intent is to shoot to a mile, the 250s will do the trick, however if you want to shoot farther then take a look at the 285s or the 300s. Again, with that long barrel, I think you should be able to push the 300s faster than 2700, especially if you move to a powder like N570 or RL33.

Close to 3k with 250s, and about 2800 with the 300s

Only have experience with 300g in my 30" barrel. I was able to get around 2850 with Retumbo while my H1000 load runs at 2800.

3000 fps out of a 26"-27" barrel with the 250s is considered an upper moderate load, where you won't be tearing up your throat in record time.

2950-3000 fps is easily doable.

Try and maintain that range unless you want to go with a longer tube, don't care about your throat, or you're trying for a mile, or better.

Chris

Thanks guys my goal is a mile at this time. I would rather stick with the 300s though I just don't think I can get the velocity since I am not able to seat them out as long as some folks due to trying to keep it magazine fed. If I can get 2800fps out of the 300s ill probable stick with them. Right now I am looking for accuracy, though I want speed as well for range. Didn't get to shoot this weekend due to taking the wife to the beach. Hopefully will continue load work up in a few days

Thanks guys my goal is a mile at this time. I would rather stick with the 300s though I just don't think I can get the velocity since I am not able to seat them out as long as some folks due to trying to keep it magazine fed. If I can get 2800fps out of the 300s ill probable stick with them. Right now I am looking for accuracy, though I want speed as well for range. Didn't get to shoot this weekend due to taking the wife to the beach. Hopefully will continue load work up in a few days

The Finnish Army snipers were getting good results from TRG-42s using 250s out to 2000m and getting roughly 4000 rounds out of their barrels before they needed to replace them.

Give them a go, as they sail pretty well. Also, try the Hornady 285s and see what you see.

Chris

Thanks guys my goal is a mile at this time. I would rather stick with the 300s though I just don't think I can get the velocity since I am not able to seat them out as long as some folks due to trying to keep it magazine fed. If I can get 2800fps out of the 300s ill probable stick with them. Right now I am looking for accuracy, though I want speed as well for range.

If you want long range you'll need a far better understanding of ballistics. Speed is only one of several factors.

Last edited:
Binder I understand that there are several other factors to consider when shooting long range. I just had a goal of at least 2800 fps with the 300s, hence the 29" barrel. Though I didn't realize the standard aics mags were only around 3.65 oal in turn hindering the amount of powder with increased pressure I would get. I am not claiming to know everything about long range shooting though I have been shooting for a couple years. This is just my first time with the 338 and I know of load data out there, but most people are seating them longer. Thank you for the info i am always up for learning more

I was thinking about a .338 LM CIP length action to be able to load longer. I was looking at running 309 gr GSC Bullets!!!!!
http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/index.php?page=.338Ti
1.45" OD receiver, 9 1/2" OAL
.750" OD bolt with M-16 style extractor
3.75" ejection port, sized to allow the ejection of a .338 Lapua Mag CIP length loaded cartridge with a 300gr projectile
4.00" load port Bottom
The shooter does not need to lift his head to work the bolt.
Longer threaded section to receive longer barrel tenons and support beefy .338 barrels.
Sized to a long action footprint. Receiver will drop into CIP chassis stocks and is compatible with Badger CIP bottom metal.
Scope rail is pinned and screwed. Available with a 20, 25, or 30 MOA rail.
More than 1lb lighter than other steel .338 receivers!

Last edited:
Binder I understand that there are several other factors to consider when shooting long range. I just had a goal of at least 2800 fps with the 300s, hence the 29" barrel. Though I didn't realize the standard aics mags were only around 3.65 oal in turn hindering the amount of powder with increased pressure I would get. I am not claiming to know everything about long range shooting though I have been shooting for a couple years. This is just my first time with the 338 and I know of load data out there, but most people are seating them longer. Thank you for the info i am always up for learning more

10-4. I think you'll find that a 300gr pill is better at long range than a faster 250gr pill. As to the mag length issue, a lot of people simple single load and skip the mag all together. I lucked out and found a hyper consistent COAL that just so happened to fit my mag but many other people simple single load. It's pretty easy when you get the hang of it.