• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Realistic timeframe?

Jeff K in IL

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2023
Millbrook
I have a Savage 110 that’s getting a custom AG Composites stock, and that stock is a flat-top which has not been inletted to allow for a gunsmith to do the proper inlet. How long should I reasonably expect for this process with modern machines for CNC, and CAD/Design a programs which create the framework for the machining?

The question has been raised since 2020. If you aren't actively looking or paying for someone to develop the program yourself, you may wait a while.

I am aware of folks that do it, but I’m simply wondering what a realistic timeframe for the work should be.

Contact Chad at LRI. He does them. If you have another builder ask them.

Nothing anyone post here means a thing. If you are checking up on your builder due to lack of trust you have the wrong builder and you should go another direction.

Reactions: Aftermath
Agree with above

LRI if they can do it will generally be a decent turn around time. Otherwise if you’re talking to a shop just ask. Some are booked out a year on jobs and that’ll be your expected wait time. You won’t get to cut the line

Do research and be careful of unknown smiths that can get you in quick. There’s probably a reason they’re not backed up

Fred Moreo was the go to in 2012 or so when I last messed with savages. Timeline wasn’t great and neither was communication but the quality was always there. Not sure if he even does this anymore. Could be dead for all I know by now but here’s the site

The last time i saw LRI quotes to inlet a flat top it made me wonder why anyone would spend that kind of $ vs just using the money towards an action that has stocks already inletting for it.

This could be especially true when it comes to inletting a for a savage

Yeah, the upcharge was about the price of an entire savage rifle IIRC so to pay that and still have a savage just seems like a lousy choice. Maybe others do it for far cheaper though?

The OP is going about it the hard way. If I had noticed it was for a savage I would not even responded. Complete waste of resources. Shoot them as the disposables they are or get a decent rifle.

“I have a dead horse I want to build a custom saddle for. How do I roll it over to measure both sides?”😂😂

The last time i saw LRI quotes to inlet a flat top it made me wonder why anyone would spend that kind of $ vs just using the money towards an action that has stocks already inletting for it.
A flat-stop stock is 1/2 the cost of a stock already inlet. So, costs level out.

The OP is going about it the hard way. If I had noticed it was for a savage I would not even responded. Complete waste of resources. Shoot them as the disposables they are or get a decent rifle.

“I have a dead horse I want to build a custom saddle for. How do I roll it over to measure both sides?”😂😂
Not everyone his disposable income to go buy an action that costs $800-$1200. This was my first build to tinker with.

Savage 110 Tactical Cost: $700
Sold Savage Tactical Barrel: $250
Net Cost: $450 with a DBM Pre-Installed

Flat-Top Stock: $350
Inletting Services: $375
Proof Research Barrel: $800

Savage Bolt Upgrade: $150
Sold Savage Bolt Lever/Bolt: $50
Net Cost: $100

I will be sitting around $2,075 for a Carbon Fiber Barrel, Carbon Fiber Stock setup, finished. Comparably, whenI build on an Rem 700 Clone, I will be sitting at or around $2,600.

Understand doing a budget rifle but a savage is going to be a near total loss of investment.
Many would think if you use a savage don’t invest in it. Shoot it then upgrade to better rifle if needed or wanted. Of course it’s your call alone.
When you drop 2k into savage and post about it expect a bit of teasing.
Good luck with your project.

Not everyone his disposable income to go buy an action that costs $800-$1200. This was my first build to tinker with.

I will be sitting around $2,075 for a Carbon Fiber Barrel, Carbon Fiber Stock setup, finished. Comparably, whenI build on an Rem 700 Clone, I will be sitting at or around $2,600.
You have $2,600 in a savage?! Bro.....

That's some funny shit!

Reactions: RTH1800
Make sure you post a pic of it. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen a $2100 savage 🤪

When you want to sell I’ll start the bidding at $800

$2100 savage that still won’t extract

Cheaper up front does not meaner cheaper in the long run.

I did almost exactly as you. Started with a Savage. Went with all the upgrades, custom
Barrel, trigger springs, chassis. Guess what got offered about half what I had into it and sold that POS as fast as I could.

Go through a high volume shooting class with it and tell me your satisfied with it.

$2100 savage that still won’t extract

Cheaper up front does not meaner cheaper in the long run.

I did almost exactly as you. Started with a Savage. Went with all the upgrades, custom
Barrel, trigger springs, chassis. Guess what got offered about half what I had into it and sold that POS as fast as I could.

Go through a high volume shooting class with it and tell me your satisfied with it.
I own the first long range rifle I ever assembled from a savage 10 FCP hs precision. Criterion 260 barrel, NSS lug/nut, swapped trigger springs, Mcree chassis, aftermarket bolt knob etc. The usual 2010 upgrades. About 2 years ago I picked up a folding xlr evolution for $300 here. Bet I haven’t shot that rifle in 6-8 years.

It one of the most accurate rifles I own so I refuse to sell it. I stood looking at it one day contemplating selling it. Literally $300 chassis, $300 action, $120 NF base, barrels a wash. Even though it’s accurate I always look at barrels As disposable items as I have no idea what the previous owner did to them. So I assume if it shoots good I’m lucky

Figure if I sold it I’d be lucky to get $1000 total for it. Honestly not sure I’d pay that if I saw it listed in the px.

In 2010 the savage platform was awesome. In today’s world tikka or aftermarket just makes more sense on the low end. They also hold value better

I own the first long range rifle I ever assembled from a savage 10 FCP hs precision. Criterion 260 barrel, NSS lug/nut, swapped trigger springs, Mcree chassis, aftermarket bolt knob etc. The usual 2010 upgrades. About 2 years ago I picked up a folding xlr evolution for $300 here. Bet I haven’t shot that rifle in 6-8 years.

It one of the most accurate rifles I own so I refuse to sell it. I stood looking at it one day contemplating selling it. Literally $300 chassis, $300 action, $120 NF base, barrels a wash. Even though it’s accurate I always look at barrels As disposable items as I have no idea what the previous owner did to them. So I assume if it shoots good I’m lucky

Figure if I sold it I’d be lucky to get $1000 total for it. Honestly not sure I’d pay that if I saw it listed in the px.

In 2010 the savage platform was awesome. In today’s world tikka or aftermarket just makes more sense on the low end. They also hold value better
Almost the same build I did. It was very accurate. That’s about it lol.

Almost the same build I did. It was very accurate. That’s about it lol.
I’ve had the ejection issues in several savages. At one point that’s all I shot is savage.

The 9/16” detent ball under the extractor fixed it on every one of them if I recall correctly. Just a bit of info for anyone reading this with the same issue

Think I got 100 of them for like $.60

I am aware of folks that do it, but I’m simply wondering what a realistic timeframe for the work should be.
There's no way to tell you that because (absent waiting for materials) you don't know how much work is in front of yours. Lead time is mostly waiting until your order comes up on deck.

JFC for 500 more you could have had a decent rifle.

It’s one thing to by a Savage if you are literally broke.

Like B-R-O-K-E

If you are just cheap but still in it for the long haul, well, you probably will lose money in the long run unless you hold onto that gun forever.

If you buy/sell a lot to upgrade or buy a shit ton of cheap rifles vs. a few great ones ==> lose your shirt when you sell and probably have less fun shooting.

Top top end stuff tends to depreciate less.

What I would do is take $2100 and cruise the px here. Just to give an idea on what $2100 can get you on the used market.

I understand the OP already is moving forward with this project

But the px will give you an idea how far $2100 will go on a decent setup here. Even if you’re just buying a part like the action to start

$2100 is a decent hunk of change to stick into a savage regardless of the finished product

It’s one thing to by a Savage if you are literally broke.

Like B-R-O-K-E

If you are just cheap but still in it for the long haul, well, you probably will lose money in the long run unless you hold onto that gun forever.

If you buy/sell a lot to upgrade or buy a shit ton of cheap rifles vs. a few great ones ==> lose your shirt when you sell and probably have less fun shooting.

Top top end stuff tends to depreciate less.

I'm too fucking poor to buy cheap shit

OP if you don’t believe us take a look at the firearms section in the px. Should give you an idea of how much a savage gets depreciated around here

Recently bumped posts would likely show what we’re referring to

If you can get inletting services for $375 that's cool. I thought LRI quoted a fair bit more than that in the past.

For $1800 a guy can have a seekins ph2..

I dont think your inletting cost includes pillar bedding. Add $150-200 for that at a minimum. .

As far as LRI goes, the inlet is $350, and inlet and pillar bed is $750. Thats 2021 prices I think.

Reactions: wind gypsy