• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Realistic TRG-42 Expecations?

71firebird400

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hi,

I'm in the market for another 338LM and am considering either a TRG-42 or a custom built on a Surgeon XL action. I know that more than likely the custom will be more accurate, but I'm wondering what the honest expectations of a TRG are? Ideally I'd like 1/2 MOA at long range. I'm not in the business of claiming a rifle is '1/2 MOA' cause it shot a .499" 3-shot group @ 100 yards this one time in perfect conditions, so those of you with this particular rifle please give let me know what they are honestly capable of.

For the record, if the TRG is in fact capable of 1/2 MOA then I would prefer it. But if it is more like a 'sub-MOA' rifle then I will probably go with the Surgeon. This isn't designed to be a X vs Y thread, I just want to know what the real world performance of the TRG is.

Thanks!

Re: Realistic TRG-42 Expecations?

The TRG will shoot as good or not better then any custom build out there. I have done a several 1 hole 5 shot groups out of my TRG22, the short time I've had it while testing loads.

The TRG is the real deal, my TRG22 is a very very accurate rifle, it is the first rifle that I have owned that I have been able to shoot a true 5 shot "bughole".
I would recommend that you get one, and if it doesn't meet your expectations, sell it and get most of your money back, I think they are on sell at Europtic.
I have never regretted my purchase, I am even spending the money to get mine changed to 7 mm 08, for the money I could have gotten a custom, but I like the feel of the stock and I love the two stage trigger.
SScott

Mine TRG42 is well fullfilling your expectations.

I am very satisfied and would most likely buy a TRG again.
I really like the TRG folder, as the adjustability of the stock is tremendous.
Its quick adjustable and can easaly be adjusted betwen different positions within seconds.
I actually like the folder that much that I put one folder chassis on my Tikka T3 in 6,5 so now I have two TRGs, one in 6,5 and one in .338

Another recomendation is to use a scopemount that goes on the orignal rail on the gun, instad of attaching a picatinny rail on it.
To me this is one of the more important features, why attaching loose rails when you don't have to....
So if picatinny was the big issue, i would consider the Surgeon instead as it has the picatinny machined in one piece.

Håkan
img4c761a53d8315.jpg

img4c761bba52f7f.jpg

img4c761a9b2491d.jpg

IMHO TRG will outshoot a custom no problems. They use the best of components and are well screwed together. A custom is only an improvement over a stock remmy or something, guns like TRG's or AI's are already very accurate.

d9e68eff.jpg

Yes, it definitely will.

This was round 11-15 through mine, and the first 5 reloads i shot through it.

When i have time i will put up the rest of my groups and a range report in another post.

Also interested in 'realistic expectations' as I have a TRG 42 300WM coming.

Do they like FGM? I've got two boxes of FGM 190gr that I'll use initially, then work up a load with 208 A-max and H1000.

i have been very happy with my TRG42 in 338lm.
i have not had a chance yet to shoot past 600yds,
at 600yd its holding 3"-4" 5 shot groups on average with my hand loads.
so far the best has been 1.68" with the 250g lapuas it aslo likes the 300g mk.
the rifle is better than my shooting abilities.for the price you cant beat it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oud272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also interested in 'realistic expectations' as I have a TRG 42 300WM coming.

Do they like FGM? I've got two boxes of FGM 190gr that I'll use initially, then work up a load with 208 A-max and H1000. </div></div>

I have a TRG 42 .300 Win Mag and it shoots clovers @ 100 with HSM 190gr and BH 190gr. I have only taken it out to 700 yards on steal. I hope to have a chance to go to CKA range and try it @1400 yards. I am very please with both my TRG 22 and 42.

I've only shot a 22, but if it's big brother shoots as good, I think you will be a happy camper.

Think of a TRG as an out of the box custom. This is not an off the rack rifle, by any stretch.

The only time I have shot my 42 338 @ 100 was first day sighting in. I load test @ 600 and it will shoot 1/2" MOA 5 shot groups at that range pretty much on demand. It will also carry 1/2" to 1000 if I do my part. Load development was easy.

Here is a older TRG-42 w/ the 1-12" twist. I have about 300 rounds down it and this is the load that is shoots the best. Granted, this is a 3 shot group @ 200 yards..... but there are 3 groups less than .4, and one group measured .339 outside to outside. I dont know if you are going to get much better than that.

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

To say they shoot great is an understatement. I have a TRG-42 and to do my final load development I shot it at a 3x600 Mid range match. Shot a 200-16X with it trying two different loads. The trigger is just as nice as my CG Jackson 2 stage triggers I have on my prone competition rifles.

I have a TRG 22 and 42, they are shooters. I also have two Surgeon Scalpels, they are shooters. Between my 22 and my .308 Scalpel, the Surgeon is slightly more accurate. Slightly.

I have been pestering Steven @ Surgeon for quite a while now about building me a Remedy 338, and with any luck maybe soon I can compare the Surgeon 338 to the TRG 42.

Sorry if that was a little X vs Y, and I'm surely not downing the TRG. I'll be keeping both my TRGs and the Surgeons if that means anything to you. I also have no reservations in saying I believe you will be more than satisfied with the accuracy you get from the 42. Mine is a newer 10 twist and shoot's 300gr Scenars or MK's very well.

C

While I have limited experience (I did not shoot it, just observed a couple of other guys shoot them for load development), I was very impressed. On a crappy, cold, and windy day (12 mph min, gusting to 20+ perpendicular to the range), I watched two separate rifles lay down groups of around 8" at 975 meters. The first 3 shots on one of the groups could be covered by the palm of a hand.

Very impressive.