• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Really long wait time!!

huntinherrington

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2012
Start,LA
December will be 2 years since i purchased my SWR Spectre and i still havent been approved!!! How do i check the status?

Re: Really long wait time!!

Sounds like your paperwork got lost. Contact your dealer and get the serial number for your can and call the NFA branch. They can give you the status of it.

That's the longest wait I've heard of.

Did the ATF ever cash your check?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntinherrington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">December will be 2 years since i purchased my SWR Spectre and i still havent been approved!!! How do i check the status?</div></div> check the status with the above phone number have the serial number and the name it is under - yours...but, there is something really wrong with that scenario.

I used a trust and they charged me 200 for the stamp and transfer fees at one time. I paid them with debit card.

The $200 should go to the NFA, Not your dealer. Did you ever see your completed form 4? Did you mail in the form 4, or did your dealer? Did you actually see the can you were purchasing?

Like they said above, start by calling the NFA and get a status. When I have called about mine, all they needed was the serial number, my name (your trust name), and the dealers name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntinherrington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used a trust and they charged me 200 for the stamp and transfer fees at one time. I paid them with debit card. </div></div>

who is "they"!!! and what "transfer fee"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntinherrington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used a trust and they charged me 200 for the stamp and transfer fees at one time. I paid them with debit card. </div></div>

who is "they"!!! and what "transfer fee"?</div></div>

I would say "they" would be the dealer. A dealer will have a transfer fee if you didn't buy the can from them. And some dealers do give you the option to pay them and "they'll" send off your forms in with a check.

Tell them you want the serial number of the item so you can call in to check the status of the transfer. This seems to be a growing trend with SOT holders now a days..... what a shame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell them you want the serial number of the item so you can call in to check the status of the transfer. This seems to be a growing trend with SOT holders now a days..... what a shame. </div></div>

What the growing trend of SOT's these days?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell them you want the serial number of the item so you can call in to check the status of the transfer. This seems to be a growing trend with SOT holders now a days..... what a shame. </div></div>

What the growing trend of SOT's these days? </div></div>

Collecting money and not mailing the paperwork.

Haven't been able to call the last few days. I just got off the phone with my dealer. They didn't give me the serial number. Told me that they would check on it and call me back. If it hasn't been submitted then i will be looking somewhere else to spend thousands of dollars each year.

I have the serial number on my copy of the trust but i have been in the gulf of mexico since last thursday. I will get the SN and call when i get in next thursday at the latest.

Wow, that is bad business. My Dealer is a pretty small shop, but when stuff comes in, he lets me know. I then come in he fills out the form 4, gives them to me and lets me send them in. I would be letting everyone I know to not deal with a shop that did that.

So does anyone know the average wait time for form 4's in Louisiana? I would like have it approved before another 2 years rolls around so i can send it off for an upgade as soon as i get it. It's F@#%ed up that i have to send it off for a $200 upgraded when i could just buy the Spectre 2 now but i already paid for everything almost 2 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddd oo7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell them you want the serial number of the item so you can call in to check the status of the transfer. This seems to be a growing trend with SOT holders now a days..... what a shame. </div></div>

What the growing trend of SOT's these days? </div></div>

Collecting money and not mailing the paperwork. </div></div>

Lazy, already have your money so their accountability seems to plummet, generally are just poor business people.

The list seems to always be growing as well. I've generally had good run ins with SOT retailers but as of late I have run into a few that flat out just are incapable of doing a good job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there would be murders... </div></div>

There should be refunds, plus interest, plus free stuff. Then at least one murder. Never leave an nfa transfer alone. Babysit it, make sure it goes pending(call nfa yourself, not ask the dealer) and after 4 months start calling the nfa branch every two weeks. Dealers can and will sit on your paperwork and can. Don't leave it to them to keep you informed.

After 4 months call every 2 weeks? There is no point. Transfers are still taking 5-6 months from the time it leaves your hands to the time it gets back to your dealer. Practice patience. Send it and forget it.

Sounds to me like that's what this guy did - send it and forget it, and this is where it got him. Buddy of mine had the same experience, dropped off his check for the dealer to throw in the packet and mail out. He didn't want to agonize over the wait, so he made a point to just try not to think about it - I'm telling him to ride herd on it the whole time and make sure everything is moving along. Finally, after 5 months (this was several years ago) I made him give me his serial number and I called NFA....no record of that can after it's transfer to the dealer, nothing pending, just nothing. Call the dealer, "Oops, I never mailed the packet...I'll mail it today." So...5 months longer than it should have taken, he gets his suppressor without even a word of apology. In retrospect, he should have made them give him a complete refund and taken his business elsewhere - there is NO excuse for that kind of carelessness with NFA-related paperwork. (Another lesson to learn there is MAIL YOUR OWN PAPERWORK!) Those guys have shut down since, actually got caught letting LE buddies take their NFA items home before the forms cleared. Anyway, fire and forget is not the way to do NFA. I'm not saying be impatient or unrealistic, but take the responsibility for checking on it. Call NFA after a couple weeks and make sure it's there and pending.

Down here in Texas, some folks have gotten 4 month turnarounds recently, so start checking periodically after a reasonable amount of time has gone by for it to be approved. Dealers are busy. Your papers can sit on their shelf for weeks if you don't find out that you've been approved and call them. A cousin in Lubbock had that happen to him - dealer just never called him. I always call my dealer to let him know when one gets approved so he will be looking for the paperwork in the mail. Don't wait for somebody to do this shit for you, or it won't get done! Fire and forget is a recipe for disaster with NFA.

Have your serial, name of your dealer and name of your trust, etc.

Call NFA: "Hi, need to run a serial number past you."

"OK, give me the number."

"Serial number is ___________, dealer doing the transfer is __________ and my name/trust is ____________."

"OK, that went pending on __________/was approved on _________."

"Thanks very much for your time!"

"You're welcome, have a nice day."

"You, too, bye!"

Boom, you took less than a minute of their time, were polite and concise, and you know the status of you item. It's not hard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds to me like that's what this guy did - send it and forget it, and this is where it got him. Buddy of mine had the same experience, dropped off his check for the dealer to throw in the packet and mail out. He didn't want to agonize over the wait, so he made a point to just try not to think about it - I'm telling him to ride herd on it the whole time and make sure everything is moving along. Finally, after 5 months (this was several years ago) I made him give me his serial number and I called NFA....no record of that can after it's transfer to the dealer, nothing pending, just nothing. Call the dealer, "Oops, I never mailed the packet...I'll mail it today." So...5 months longer than it should have taken, he gets his suppressor without even a word of apology. In retrospect, he should have made them give him a complete refund and taken his business elsewhere - there is NO excuse for that kind of carelessness with NFA-related paperwork. (Another lesson to learn there is MAIL YOUR OWN PAPERWORK!) Those guys have shut down since, actually got caught letting LE buddies take their NFA items home before the forms cleared. Anyway, fire and forget is not the way to do NFA. I'm not saying be impatient or unrealistic, but take the responsibility for checking on it. Call NFA after a couple weeks and make sure it's there and pending.

Down here in Texas, some folks have gotten 4 month turnarounds recently, so start checking periodically after a reasonable amount of time has gone by for it to be approved. Dealers are busy. Your papers can sit on their shelf for weeks if you don't find out that you've been approved and call them. A cousin in Lubbock had that happen to him - dealer just never called him. I always call my dealer to let him know when one gets approved so he will be looking for the paperwork in the mail. Don't wait for somebody to do this shit for you, or it won't get done! Fire and forget is a recipe for disaster with NFA.

Have your serial, name of your dealer and name of your trust, etc.

Call NFA: "Hi, need to run a serial number past you."

"OK, give me the number."

"Serial number is ___________, dealer doing the transfer is __________ and my name/trust is ____________."

"OK, that went pending on __________/was approved on _________."

"Thanks very much for your time!"

"You're welcome, have a nice day."

"You, too, bye!"

Boom, you took less than a minute of their time, were polite and concise, and you know the status of you item. It's not hard. </div></div>

Well maybe I am just lucky because I have only ever had one issue with a transfer and that was because my dealer forgot to sign and date one line on the form 4. So it was taken care of but I send them out myself from my mailbox as I have to have the forms to updated my trust and I know they are gone that day. I forget about them till about the 5.5-6 month mark then I might call. I have generally forgot about 3/4 of them and then I get a call out of nowhere saying "come meet me at my office to pick up your suppressors". I like the surprise factor, makes it fun.

I have done a lot of transfer..... it never gets old.

I have my dealer send off my paper work. The most important part is to trust your dealer. I know Mark at Accurate Ordnance wants me to have my can as bad as I do. Dealers don't wan stuff sitting in their safe any longer than they need to be there. I would have asked for a refund if they waited two years to send off paper work. That is unacceptable.Two years is a long time in the suppressor world today. New cans are out every year.

mike

Dealer didn't give a crap he had his money. probably was using it the last 2 years. Not shitting, I would call ATF/police/lawyer for fraud. Oh I would be so pissed.

I know of a guy that passed away while waiting 3 years for something custom (gun but not sure what kind). I was at the gun store when they called to tell him it had finally showed up. His widow answered and said he had passed away and year ago. Gun store employee didn't know what to say. He had to call back later and ask her what to do with it, as it had been paid for up front.

I bought it from Major Malfunction and it took around 8 months for it to show up to my dealer here in Louisiana. So its been at my dealer for right around 1 year. I've heard of it taking around 1 year for them to get approved so i assumed they were just swamped with approvals. I have gotten married, bought a house, and had a wonderful time in the last year. I work offshore so it is a month gone by everytime i come home. Between the mariage, hunting, fishing, four wheeler riding, and all the other things i enjoy doing on my days off, i havent really been thinking about the suppressor 24/7. Then when i would think about it i just assumed there was alot of applications before me. It is a husband & wife owned store and their daughter takes care of the NFA items. They are good people that made a mistake. Am i aggrigated? YES but stuff happens and life goes on. Did i learn something? yes. I will check after a couple weeks of waiting to conform the paperwork has been sent off next time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndamendfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dealer didn't give a crap he had his money. probably was using it the last 2 years. Not shitting, I would call ATF/police/lawyer for fraud. Oh I would be so pissed.

I know of a guy that passed away while waiting 3 years for something custom (gun but not sure what kind). I was at the gun store when they called to tell him it had finally showed up. His widow answered and said he had passed away and year ago. Gun store employee didn't know what to say. He had to call back later and ask her what to do with it, as it had been paid for up front. </div></div>

ATF doesn't care. I had a dealer lose my paperwork. I called the ATF and the best they could do was make a call to the dealer to ask about it. The lady at the ATF (Janis) was very sweet and helpful. Others I talked to, not so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntinherrington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does anyone know the average wait time for form 4's in Louisiana? I would like have it approved before another 2 years rolls around so i can send it off for an upgade as soon as i get it. It's F@#%ed up that i have to send it off for a $200 upgraded when i could just buy the Spectre 2 now but i already paid for everything almost 2 years ago. </div></div>
Did they already do the La state registration for it? If they did that part of it two years ago, you may want to make sure the ATF will still accept it. If not, add another 3-5 weeks before your Form 4 gets sent.

What is the name of the shop? What have they done to try and make things right with you?

I have 2 groups of suppressors that were pending. 2 went out a day before a different two. So they go pending a day apart.... My two that were pending on 5-8-12 were approved and I have them already, the two that are pending 5-9-12 are still not approved. The examiner tells me their might be a couple day gap because of how they are sorted but not to worry. The operator told me November!!! I thought to myself "damn, you need to stop giving out your best estimations because you are more and more wrong each time we talk!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50APIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntinherrington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does anyone know the average wait time for form 4's in Louisiana? I would like have it approved before another 2 years rolls around so i can send it off for an upgade as soon as i get it. It's F@#%ed up that i have to send it off for a $200 upgraded when i could just buy the Spectre 2 now but i already paid for everything almost 2 years ago. </div></div>
Did they already do the La state registration for it? If they did that part of it two years ago, you may want to make sure the ATF will still accept it. If not, add another 3-5 weeks before your Form 4 gets sent.

What is the name of the shop? What have they done to try and make things right with you? </div></div>

Exactly, make sure they did the Louisiana forms, you should have gotten a copy of those from the state. That would suck if you have to wait for those to go through again.

Always mail the forms yourself, then you know for sure when they go out.

Good luck.