• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns really short barrel .308

dagwood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
Myrtle Beach,SC
Well it looks like jumped ship on this one. I'm still will be shooting a .308 just a little different than most shoot here. I picked up a Thompson Encore
in .308 with 15" barrel and a 2-8x32 scope. I will keep shooting farther distance just not as far as I have been. Only thing this will need is a brake,
just need to find someone who can thread a 15" Encore barrel.

i ran a 16" 308 rifle for deer awhile back and worked up a load to optimize on the short tube using light for caliber noslers to go fast and explode. i can look them up for ya if theres an interest.

308 Pistol? Good for you. Thats awesome.

The only thing to consider is relocating or removing the front sight, as threading it will need the front site removed. Still any competent 'smith should be able to handle it.

dagwood,

I've sent several barrels to ADCO Firearms for threading. Prepay on their website for the services you want and ship it off. A little pricey, but I've always had my barrels back within 2 weeks with no complaints.

Keep us posted on your project. I'm actually trying to decide between a 300 Blk or .308 Win for my next purchase.

I'd be interested in marduk's recipe also.

ok guys, as usual do your own safety testing disclaimer yada yada...infinatum

here's what i did for deer when i had a ruger m77 compact 16" barrel:

125 grain nosler ballistic tip over 44.5 grains H322 in Sellier and Bellot brass using a winchester magnum primer.

i believe the OAL was 2.852" and i know i experimented with daughter's nail polish for a light sealant at the case mouths and primer cups that was minimally applied after the rounds were complete.

this load chrono' d 2900 fps out of the above rifle so oughtta be pretty similar out of a 15" handgun i'd say.

my philosophy for the developement of this loading was three fold.
1) milk velocity and flat range out of a rifle that carried like a 10/22
2) reduce recoil in a .308 that weighed like a 10/22
3) get as close to full burn efficiency out of the powder charge as possible with such a short barrel.

i think it did all three pretty well. hope yall have similar success.

Last edited:
The Encore is supposed to be delivered today. Just waiting for the call from the gun shop to go get it.
I'll let you know after I shoot it. Should be a beast at 300 yards.

I got one of those in 2000, shot two deer in two years with it and everybody I hunt with want to buy it. Deer was dead before they got their rifles out the case, I carry mine in a chest holster action open and a round in my hand. Great pistol, the 15 inch barrel kicks way less than a 12 inch 454 Casull. Do not shoot surplus military ammo in it though, the action gets really hard to open after a few rounds, commercial and reloads work all day long.
Congrats, I am sure you'll love yours too.
Cheers

WB300 is right about ADCO. They have done lots of cutting and threading for me and its all been top notch.

Semper Fidelis