• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Really sticky AR-10 bolt retraction

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
When retracting the bolt, something is sticking and grabbing a lot, making this an annoying 2-handed operation (at least with my arthritis). The charging handle is the standard Armalite alloy one, and the recoil spring and buffer also are Armalite. I've spent some time polishing off any rough edges on the areas showing wear on the handle.

The rifle has almost 400 rounds through it.

Before I try to reinvent the wheel, is there a fix for this?

Thank you,
Richard

Is it sticky with just the carrier installed or does the bolt have to be installed too? Is it sticky right at the point the bolt is rotating and sliding in the carrier as it locks and unlocks with the lugs in the barrel extension?

My old AR10 would have the bolt get a little sticky in the carrier every 100-120 rounds or so. It wouldn't cause cycling issues but would require a lot of effort on the charging handle to initially open & unlock the bolt and the bolt wouldn't close all the way unless you dropped it with the bolt release and let it slam home.

A few drops of oil down the holes in the side of the carrier and onto the gas rings would make it run good as new again. Might be something to check on yours.

Last edited:
Is it sticky with just the carrier installed or does the bolt have to be installed too? It is sticky right at the point the bolt is rotating and sliding in the carrier as it locks and unlocks with the lugs in the barrel extension?

My old AR10 would have the bolt get a little sticky in the carrier every 100-120 rounds or so. It wouldn't cause cycling issues but would require a lot of effort on the charging handle to initially open & unlock the bolt and the bolt wouldn't close all the way unless you dropped it with the bolt release and let it slam home.

A few drops of oil down the holes in the side of the carrier and onto the gas rings would make it run good as new again. Might be something to check on yours.
+1 - cured my sticky bolt

Assume sticky bolt is not while extracting brass, yes, grease it up. If with reloaded brass then it may be brass not resized correctly.

I had that issue right about the time I relaized I was punching holes in the primers on some reloads. The bits of primer were getting into the BCG. Have you dissassembled and cleaned BCG?

A gas ring can foul function. Deep tool marks on the carrier where contact is with the cam pin. Flawed bolt tail? Firing pin fouled? Binding hammer function?

I'm betting not enough lube. The inside of that carrier along with the bolt should be soaked in oil/lube. It doesn't take long for the bcg to dirty itself up on a large platform AR. It should still run dirty, but needs to be wet to overcome the gunk.

Many thanks for the excellent suggestions. I'll keep testing them.

BTW, I do run the AR-10 quite wet, bolt and BCG, but the suppressor blows so much residue back that I'm thinking that's what causes the stickiness after about 30 or so shots.

Cheers,
Richard