• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Reamer bottomed out

usmchog1965

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2014
Saratoga, WY
So while reaming out the chamber on my M1 Garand, it got to the point where the bolt was totally seated and the reamer wasn’t making contact with the chamber anymore. Problem was, the go gauge was far from allowing the bolt to seat. I had to take the bolt back and just push the reamer forward with my finger while rotating, and then going back and checking it with the go gauge. Anyone else ever had this issue?

Are you trying to finish a short chambered M1 barrel?

Is the barrel 30-06 and your reamer a 308WIN?

Where did you get the reamer?

If either your reamer or go gauge are PTG, then you might be fucked.

PTG has sent out nogo gauges marked as go gauges and there has been all manner of fuckery with thier reamers.

I would stop and triple check all dimensions on all tools.

If either your reamer or go gauge are PTG, then you might be fucked.

PTG has sent out nogo gauges marked as go gauges and there has been all manner of fuckery with thier reamers.

I would stop and triple check all dimensions on all tools.
Well so far at this point it seems like if there is an issue with the wrong parts, they were undersized. That said, I’ll give PTG a phone call and see what the actual dimensions of the go gauge should be and check mine with the micrometer.

I believe so. I just got off the phone with the CMP Armory and they said they won’t even use PTG reamers because of inconsistencies and problems. They confirmed as long as The bolt will just close on the GO gauge and not close on the NOGO gauge then I’m fine.

Reactions: smoothy8500
They confirmed as long as The bolt will just close on the GO gauge and not close on the NOGO gauge then I’m fine.
As long as the GO and NOGO aren't PT&G gauges.

The datum line diameter on a 30-06 GO gauge is 0.375" and that line is 2.049" from the base/bolt face.

The datum line on the NOGO gauge is 2.055" from the base/bolt face.

Last edited by a moderator: