• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Reamer Malfuction

cuutter

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2008
Hesperia,Kalifornia
Hello Guys,
I've never had this happen before in the many barrels I have chambered. I would appreciate any input you can give me. Brand new reamer, 2/3rds. the way through the chamber, oiled everything up, seated the reamer and just started to move it in (0.010"-0.015") and it like caught and broke the handle off of my Bald Eagle Reamer Holder. I removed the reamer and it didn't look like it was damaged. Bore scoped the chamber and couldn't see anything really out of place. Sanded the chamber, fixed the handle on the reamer holder and inserted it again and that's when the reamer caught again and broke. I ream at 90 rpm and feed it pretty slow, lots of oil.
Any input would be much appreciated. I have enough room to cut the tennon off and start again, but don't know if that's the fix.
Thanks for the help.
Wayne

Attachments

• Reamer.jpg
    Reamer.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 20
I wonder if the reamer material was bad and the flute that broke cracked the first time it grabbed. I would send it back to who ever the manufacturer was to let them have a look at it after a phone call to explain what happened.

Maybe you hit a hard spot in the barrel? Like the alloy isn't quite correct. Or the steel wasn't mixed very well when the steel was made? Just speculating here. Or the reamer is the problem.

Is it a PTG reamer? I seem to recall they had a batch with faulty heat treating not too long ago, BUT, when contacted, they took care of their customers.

Not dinging PTG, just advising that if it is, you may want to give them a ring....

What is the date on the reamer?

I had a 220 swift reamer do the same thing about a year ago but the reamer was made in '07 and this was only the second chamber that it cut. I called PTG up and they took care of me, they never did give me reason but I never asked though either.

Your are reaming too slow! Call Dave for the correct SFM. I ream at about 220 depending on the caliber

Uh...how can you run a reamer too slow? I mean, I have reamed chambers by hand; can't get much slower than that...

I had a reamer from PTG do that on the first chamber, fresh out of the wrapper from them. I called, sent pics over to PTG. Dave instructed me to pack it up and ship back, they replaced it free of charge.

This. I'm not sure what material that is, but with carbide and other similarly brittle tooling, cutting slow will make them 'grab' the material, which will make them break faster than anything else.

-matt

Most reamers are HSS though, right? I know you can special order carbide ones, but I'm guessing this isn't the case.