• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Reamer rentals

MWDG3

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2006
Owasso, OK
Need a quality 338 winmag reamer for one job. Any experiences/recommendations renting reamers?

Thanks!

Re: Reamer rentals

I'd buy a new one from PTG, cut your chamber, and sell it. You'll likely end up with less out of pocket and be using a brand new reamer to cut your chamber.

Never tried to sell a used reamer. I know Elk Ridge only charges $36, and they say PTG keeps them sharp.

Had smooth transaction with 4D Chamber Rentals on my latest build. Gunsmith said the reamer was sharp. It's around $30 for the rental with a $100 deposit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadlift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on 4d. Great company! </div></div>

+1 used them several times

+1 on 4D. They are in the same building as McGowan Barrels. They also rent headspace gauges if you need those as well.

i have used elk ridge rentals a few times. And i did speak witht the lady from PTG, they do get touched up avery so many uses. I had a few chambers that i knew i was prob only going to do once. Payment and shipping was super easy. Just be sure to verify pilot size, they dident have the one i needed and they had PTG send it to me and return it to them.

I have used Elk Ridge and 4D both are good company's.Buying a reamer plus gauges is allot of coin for one chamber plus most reamers cut better after they have been used a few times why I can't say.