• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing reaming a 6.5x47 to 6.5 creedmoor

beretta_man11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
MS
When I was reloading and shooting a lot, I had a sweet 6.5x47 built because I was reloading. Now that I'm not reloading but want to shoot factory ammo, I want to switch out to a Creedmoor.
My question is this-

Can the barrel be rechambered to a 6.5 Creed without having to cut the barrel lenght?

Re: reaming a 6.5x47 to 6.5 creedmoor

Just looking at the two cartridge's specifications, yes, I would think you could. But there isn't a whole lot of room for error. Since the CM is a slightly longer case, with a larger shoulder diameter and less body taper, you could conceivably cut a CM chamber from a 6.5x47 chamber. Might even be able to do it by hand actually, now that I think about it (this is assuming that you know how to cut a chamber by hand). The only area that I'm unsure of is the neck diameter (which I want to say has the same brass thickness, but am not totally sure). My QL s/w is at home, so I can't access the full cartridge spec right now...

Again, this is just looking at the specs, I've never tried it myself...

It can be done. but you will loose a little length, no more than .500 of an inch at max I would think. This would be leaving room to head space properly and a little for that just in case you need it. Some might disagree, just my $0.02. Hope this helps.

P.S. you don't want to chamber by hand unless you have done it before. You could chatter up the chamber, let alone go over max allowable head space, then you would have to cut the tennon off and start from scratch.

cutting by hand is not in my foreseeable future. I do appreciate the idea though.
Now I just need to find a local smith here in western NY.

thanks again guys!

You will have to do the metric conversion, but here is what you are asking about...

vg3hbr.png

6.5creedmoor.jpg