• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision REAP-IR 35mm series 1 v.s. series 2

STI 45

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
I am looking for a handheld long range spotter that easily fits in a coat pocket. I currently use a Patrol and a iRAY 25 is coming. Would a REAP-IR 35mm series 1 or series 2 be the right choice. I'm leaning towards the series 1 because of the ease of adding external battery packs. I already have one for the Patrol. Or should I just buy the new series 2 for the future resale value.

Future resale value unless you get a smokin deal on a gen 1
So what is the starting price data point for a smoking deal on a Gen 1 begin.

I realize anything under that would be a "SuperSmoking" deal, but wanted to see where you thought the starting price currently is.

I just sold a brand new ReapIR v2 for just under 6k. Apparently you can buy a new one from the store for that price. I’d say 4k for a v1 especially out of warranty. But that’s my opinion, and subjective.
Thanks Elite, it is nice to know what others are thinking in the current used market.

Reactions: Eliteuas
I spent ALOT of time searching for the best price on a brand new Reap 35mm Version 2. Checked with every known seller/store I could find. Best price was $6399. Curious where did you find a brand new one ( not a demo) for under $6K?

Well technically I paid ^$6399 shipped. Optics Planet was running 10% back in store credit for memorial day. So I got $640 to spend in the future.\
And when you say traded - what was the actual price of the your Reap V2?

REAP-IR 35mm series 1 v.s. series 2

REAPv1 has inline battery compartment vs REAPv2 has vertical battery compartment. A few "heavy" users of the REAPv1 had recoil shutoff issues and apparently trijicon decided to fix the problem and the REAPv2 was the fix. I've had patrols and snipes and mk2s and mk3s and never had a recoil shut off even on one of those thermals (I have had a number of recoil shut off events on other thermals). But +2 for the reap v2 on this point, that was the whole reason they did the v2.

The plus of the verticle battery compartment is somewhat offset by its being more difficult to use with after market battery packs/extenders, so this is a +1 for the v1.

The v1 has a skeet mount on one side and a pic rail on the other. The v2 has a pic rail on both sides ...

The plus of the skeet mount is that this allows the v1 to be helmet mounted ... and at least for me ... it works fine ... I expected it not to work fine .. .but it does ... even at 2.5x .. with the 14 being 1x ... so this is a +1 for the v1 in my book.

Both the v1 and v2 can use the other pic rail to mount range finders like RAPTAR or Radius ... or a laser pointer like a steiner otal ... or a day sight like an RMR. So they are even on this score.

The v2 can use the other other pic rail to wpns mount ... the v1 can use the skeet mount with a skeet wpns mount to wpns mount. That's how I do it .. I use the skeet wpns mount for the v1 and the patrol ... so I call that even on this score.

The v2 19mm can be upgraded to the 35mm or the 60mm. And the v2 35mm can be upgaded to the 60mm ... the v1 cannot be upgraded. This is +1 for the v2.

The v1 reap I had had clipon mode ... but I'm not sure any of the currently available v1 or v2 have this ... so if you wanted clipon mode, you might have to get a used v1 and ask if it has clipon mode. I'd give a +0.5 to the older v1s on this score.

Well that's all I can think of in terms of differences. So if I'm counting correctly, the v2 wins by + 0.5 ... but that really depends on whether you want to head mount your thermal or whether you want to use an extended battery pack ... if you want either or both of those ... the v1 comes out ahead.

You might also be able to pick up a v1 at a lower price, since some people think they are worth less !! :D

==

For me, I "hate" zeroing any of the joystick housing units ... the patrol, the reap, the snipe ... its probably just me ... but I'll need one click ... and I'm touch the joy stick ... and nothing ... and touch the joy stick and nothing ... and touch the joy stick ... and click 3 clicks instead of the one I wanted ... and it doesn't happen once in a blue moon, it happens 1 or 2 times out of 3 ... its a pain in the butt for me ...

The turrets on the mk2/mk3 are positive clicks ... and they work great in -10F temps with gloved hands .. if I want a trijicon dedicated thermal scope, give me a mk2/mk3 ...

Though actually I'm a clipon bigot ... so give me a utc-xii :D

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I am looking for a handheld long range spotter that easily fits in a coat pocket. I currently use a Patrol and a iRAY 25 is coming. Would a REAP-IR 35mm series 1 or series 2 be the right choice. I'm leaning towards the series 1 because of the ease of adding external battery packs. I already have one for the Patrol. Or should I just buy the new series 2 for the future resale value.
I had a Patrol and currently use a Reap 35 V1 as my spotter. And I have the IRX rechargeable battery kit with plenty of extras. Typically get 2.5 hours of run time per set on 30 hz. I do like the extra magnification of the Reap over the Patrol for general scanning. I removed the scope base at have it attached via rings on each side of the eyepiece to a paracord neck strap. That being said using this scope as a scanner is certainly not the highest and best use. It kind of fell into place when I sold my Patrol and acquired a Hunter 60.

Don’t forget there is one other advantage to the version 2 - the easy zero function. I have played with the settings but have not tried it yet with live fire, but it is a definite advantage over the V1.
And from shopping for Reaps, I did not see any price advantage of a getting a V1.
Both versions have exact same MSRP, which does not make sense to me anyway.