• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Reap IR NUC

mrjoed2

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
Just got a Trijicon Reap. Just curious what the average time is for a NUC. Seems to take about 2 minutes for me, wondering if that is normal.

Thanks

Do you mean the avg time to complete a NUC ? That would be around 2 seconds.

Or do you mean the avg time before u need to NUC again !? If so, that totally depends. For me, if I am doing 360s and looking up hill .. i need to nuc 1-3 times per 360 ... due to "looking up hill" which throws off the heat map.

I actually just turned it on and did a NUC, Took about 1 minute, kept checking, said "calibating close cover" message. That seems longer that it should to complete.

Last edited:
Yes, that sounds way too long. Give Trijicon a call.

Maybe shut it down, remove the batteries and restart. I had something similar happen one time when I was erasing internal screen shots and that cleared it up. My V1 is the same Wig noted at 2-3 seconds for the actual process. Then for the first 10-15 minutes of use I have to NUC quite often. Once it warms up good not so often. Haven’t really paid attention to the NUCs after warm up as usually I am always tinkering with it....this time of year in SE Alabama we are dealing with humidity and varying temp fluctuations in the environment after dark so regular tweaking settings is a must.

Thanks for the info. I'm a newbee, my first Thermal- I think this was a false alarm. Just got this thing Friday afternoon. What I was doing was toggling to the NUC as unit said calibration needed ,Toggle forward or back as this starts the NUC. It would say "calibrating close cover" then disappear. I was then pushing it again thnking it was in progress, & keep doing that to check. But what I was doing was starting the NUC process over & over again. Now I know hit it once & leave it alone, when the calibrate message disappears it's done!

Thanks for the info. I'm a newbee, my first Thermal- I think this was a false alarm. Just got this thing Friday afternoon. What I was doing was toggling to the NUC as unit said calibration needed ,Toggle forward or back as this starts the NUC. It would say "calibrating close cover" then disappear. I was then pushing it again thnking it was in progress, & keep doing that to check. But what I was doing was starting the NUC process over & over again. Now I know hit it once & leave it alone, when the calibrate message disappears it's done!
You will get the hang of it, the more you use it the more natural it becomes.....and I recall when I first got mine......it was and still is a major purchase for me so I was almost afraid to do anything lest I goof it up. Now a year and a half later after a lot of use I do not even think about it getting bump or banged. They are built for much more use and abuse than I could ever do to it in the normal course of hunting. I do put it on the quick menu (2 second button push) and only rotate to the main menu when I need to tweak the settings. Also set the screen display time at the lowest setting time wise you are comfortable with so you are not having that info show up on the screen longer than it needs to.

Got ya. Yes I have already lowered screen timeout to 3 seconds. Everything is working fine. That NUC issue is the only thing that confused me. Very curiosu to try the Easy zero to see how that works. And this is certainly the most expensive scope I've bought. I don't think we can mess things up too much, all the settings are easily reset. Question - have you used the memory feature to move it from one gun to another & had it maintain zero? I would like to use it on 2 rifles.

There's no reason every high-end thermal shouldn't have internal auto-NUC capability. Every PAS and PSQ have had it for the last few generations, and even the new ChinaSkeets have it. You can disable / override it if you need to run silent, but otherwise it's a brilliant feature.

C'mon Trijicon! Give us internal NUC or we're going to riot in the streets!

Got ya. Yes I have already lowered screen timeout to 3 seconds. Everything is working fine. That NUC issue is the only thing that confused me. Very curiosu to try the Easy zero to see how that works. And this is certainly the most expensive scope I've bought. I don't think we can mess things up too much, all the settings are easily reset. Question - have you used the memory feature to move it from one gun to another & had it maintain zero? I would like to use it on 2 rifles.
I have not swapped it from rifle to rifle so cannot confirm that. I did use it early on for the same rifle suppressed and unsuppressed which made things convenient if I had the suppressor on another firearm. I have taken it on and off the rail plenty times and it held zero when placed back in the same spot. Right now I am using mine as a scanner. It will probably go back on a rifle some day soon. It’s like having a Corvette just to drive up to the corner store.
Also since you have the V2 go ahead and order a bulkload of the Titanium Innovations CR123s from Battery Source at a buck each. Several folks here on SH recommended them and that tip is still much appreciated from this group.

I have not swapped it from rifle to rifle so cannot confirm that. I did use it early on for the same rifle suppressed and unsuppressed which made things convenient if I had the suppressor on another firearm. I have taken it on and off the rail plenty times and it held zero when placed back in the same spot. Right now I am using mine as a scanner. It will probably go back on a rifle some day soon. It’s like having a Corvette just to drive up to the corner store.
Also since you have the V2 go ahead and order a bulkload of the Titanium Innovations CR123s from Battery Source at a buck each. Several folks here on SH recommended them and that tip is still much appreciated from this group.

Appreciate the battery tip. I have a good stock of Surefire & Energizer, but I will buy a box of 50 next round.