• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear Bag comparison

Re: Rear Bag comparison

Just placed an order for a Wedgie. This place is draining my wallet ;0

I need some advice...trying to decide between a wedgie or a big wedgie. I just got a LaRue OBR with a magpul CTR stock, that has the LaRue POD (prone optimization device) on the bottom and harris bipod on front. Thought about trying a monopod, but I think a bag will better suit my needs.
I was initially thinking big wedgie for the bigger range of height, but then I compared the weights of the big and regular...1.4lbs vs. 4.5 lbs. 3 lbs is 3 lbs when your already humping a huge pack and a heavy ass rifle.
I just hate to order the smaller one, then realize I needed the big one. Anyone have a similar setup ???

I have the little wedgie. Use your pack or whatever else you have in your pack to get the extra height if you need it. 4.5 lbs is A LOT to carry for a rear bag.

I replaced the fill in my wedgie with poly fill pellets and I didn't fill it as full. Feels much nicer to me and it's almost half the weight.

I have a lil wedgie and like it very much. Although, I just picked up a tab rear bag and love it. I especially like the straps to run your hand through. I'm not sure but I think the pellets may be a little smaller then thd lil wedgie I have.

Anyone recommend a bag that will work okay with a SOPMOD, perhaps avoid those issues of hitting the lock and collapsing the stock inadvertendly.

I use the little wedgie with a SOPMOD, hasn't moved the latch yet. It's just barely tall enough for me prone with an Atlas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPD320</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need some advice...trying to decide between a wedgie or a big wedgie. I just got a LaRue OBR with a magpul CTR stock, that has the LaRue POD (prone optimization device) on the bottom and harris bipod on front. Thought about trying a monopod, but I think a bag will better suit my needs.
I was initially thinking big wedgie for the bigger range of height, but then I compared the weights of the big and regular...1.4lbs vs. 4.5 lbs. 3 lbs is 3 lbs when your already humping a huge pack and a heavy ass rifle.
I just hate to order the smaller one, then realize I needed the big one. Anyone have a similar setup ??? </div></div>

After taking the OBR to the range this week, I had a problem getting the rear of the rifle stable with the improvised sock I was using. Just ordered a Big Wedgie...hope it helps !!!

I picked up a little wedgie from Steve at Triad. I asked him the same question and he recommended the smaller wedge unless it was for bench shooting only. It's plenty big enough for shooting prone. FWIW.

Some interesting bag designs here and shooters preferences. I tried a lot of different ones and one day a couple friends showed up with a leather oval bag. I hinted really strong about liking to have one and offering to pay but finally figured out I'd have to make my own if I wanted one. After inspecting one and figuring out how to sew it together I found an old leather jacket, cut out some pieces and made one of my own. The leather wasn't thick enough to maintain it's shape well so I was on the search for something better suited. The brown ones were made from an old set of welding bibs and the black from a piece of suede I picked up at a flea market.

I made a lot of different shapes, sizes and density and finally settled on the original oval design they had as my favorite. You can rotate it for different heights and it will maintain that density without having to keep squeezing it. It's approximately 3"H x 5 1/2"W X 5 1'2"L and is filled with small plastic pellets. I have 4 different densities of the same bag but I prefer the hardest and son likes it a big softer. It's become mine and my sons favorite and everyone that has tried it really likes the oval shape. Just thought I'd put some pictures up in case anyone would like to make one and try it out. I really like the roughness of the suede, it is a bit sticky and helps hold the gun in position better then the slippery green bags.

Some of the various shapes I've made and tried.
shootingbagscan1.jpg

Oval bag in low position:
ovalbaglow.jpg

Same bag in a medium position:
ovalbagmed.jpg

Same bag in higher position:
ovalbaghigh.jpg

It could still be put on it's end to gain even more height. Very easy to get various heights quickly.

I hope this isn't infringing on a post that was trying to sell bags, these are just ones I made and have no intention of making and selling. They take way longer to make than any return I'd get, was just fun to experiment and come up with something I made and fits our needs.

Topstrap

I shot with a TAB Gear for a couple of years now and have been happy with it. I do like the look of the wedge though . . .

how much for a oval in black?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some interesting bag designs here and shooters preferences. I tried a lot of different ones and one day a couple friends showed up with a leather oval bag. I hinted really strong about liking to have one and offering to pay but finally figured out I'd have to make my own if I wanted one. After inspecting one and figuring out how to sew it together I found an old leather jacket, cut out some pieces and made one of my own. The leather wasn't thick enough to maintain it's shape well so I was on the search for something better suited. The brown ones were made from an old set of welding bibs and the black from a piece of suede I picked up at a flea market.

I made a lot of different shapes, sizes and density and finally settled on the original oval design they had as my favorite. You can rotate it for different heights and it will maintain that density without having to keep squeezing it. It's approximately 3"H x 5 1/2"W X 5 1'2"L and is filled with small plastic pellets. I have 4 different densities of the same bag but I prefer the hardest and son likes it a big softer. It's become mine and my sons favorite and everyone that has tried it really likes the oval shape. Just thought I'd put some pictures up in case anyone would like to make one and try it out. I really like the roughness of the suede, it is a bit sticky and helps hold the gun in position better then the slippery green bags.

Some of the various shapes I've made and tried.
shootingbagscan1.jpg

Oval bag in low position:
ovalbaglow.jpg

Same bag in a medium position:
ovalbagmed.jpg

Same bag in higher position:
ovalbaghigh.jpg

It could still be put on it's end to gain even more height. Very easy to get various heights quickly.

I hope this isn't infringing on a post that was trying to sell bags, these are just ones I made and have no intention of making and selling. They take way longer to make than any return I'd get, was just fun to experiment and come up with something I made and fits our needs.

Topstrap </div></div>

If I'm using a 9-13 bipod (bigger guy and laying in the prone the belly gives me automatic height increase) should I get the Lil wedgie or large wedgie?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mister Ouchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the little wedgie. Use your pack or whatever else you have in your pack to get the extra height if you need it. 4.5 lbs is A LOT to carry for a rear bag.

I replaced the fill in my wedgie with poly fill pellets and I didn't fill it as full. Feels much nicer to me and it's almost half the weight. </div></div>

Where did you get your poly fill pellets at?

I have been buying the bags by the pound at michaels craft store. I wait until I have a coupon for 40% off and go. I am not making volumes of bags, just one of each design and testing them to find what works for me.

I guess I'll actually go into Michael's next time my wife makes me take her there.. lol thank you Matt

I found a couple of bags at Wally World a while back.

moasystems has a line of bags used by US Snipers and LEO's that comes in numerous color combo's and sizes. They also custom stitch logos or names into straps. I'll post a pic next or you can see them at moashooter.com

I actually prefer my home rolled versions. I use a good quality thick sock (not black or white of course), air soft pellets for fill and some camo duck tape. Cheap and easily customized. It's also fast drying and doesn't hold moisture. The only store bought rear bag I have is the wedge one.

Finally made my first Triad Tactical order... ever. I'm pretty stoked to get my Wedgie!

tn_1200_a1c21fbd774a318a6e116ed7bfb1aa26.JPG.png

These bags made by MOA Systems are adjustable to varying heights. From 2' -4.5"
Makes it a 2 in 1 bag.
They come in all camo combinations.
They have wedgies and mats as well.
Found on MOA Shooter/Shooting bags. moashooter.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dam3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
tn_1200_a1c21fbd774a318a6e116ed7bfb1aa26.JPG.png

These bags made by MOA Systems are adjustable to varying heights. From 2' -4.5"
Makes it a 2 in 1 bag.
They come in all camo combinations.
They have wedgies and mats as well.
Found on MOA Shooter/Shooting bags. moashooter.com </div></div>

that's a pretty awesome design!

Thanks Topstrap for showing your rear bags. I have been using sand bags,filled with rice not sand. They work but the oval design is a very good idea.

Had to replace a standard rear bag and thought I would order a wedgie to see how it works for me so I just sent an order through. Thanks to Triad for the pics and write up.

Anyone recommend a bag that will work okay with a SOPMOD, perhaps avoid those issues of hitting the lock and collapsing the stock inadvertendly.

I run a TAB bag with mine and either push the bag further back into my shoulder while gripping the stock with my thumb and index/middle finger while compressing the bag as needed, or by running a sling that at maximum length allows me to push the bag into the sling and use the whole setup kind of like a monopod. The second strategy allows you to get the most out of the height of the bag, as the TAB isn't completely full, and the sling allows you to compress it more while still maintaining good contact with the stock. When I used that tactic I ran two QD swivels at the back of the sling, one set to the length to use the bag, one further along to use for carry. I now have a SAPR on my SOPMOD and don't really need the extra height.

After making and owning several bags I find the easiest system is to use the large TRIAD wedge with a traditional sloped stock without a butthook. When the bottom of the stock is flat it doesn't really ride the bag very well, and I would have trouble keeping on target through recoil, as the stock would slide down the bag then push the bag forward when the rifle returned to equilibrium. If your stock is flat or has a butthook I would suggest using a bag that you control elevation changes by squeezing it, but I find that this is less stable, especially so when you start getting up high to engage low-angle targets. Triangle stock + wedge bag gives you the most stability across all heights and small and large elevation changes.

I have the Badger Bone, It's okay. I hate the fill they used for it, it was like shredded up plastic chips. Made for a hard to manipulate bag. I emptied it and filled it with plastic BBs, much easier to manuever and what not.

Bean bags are very personal items. Some find that the chips used in the Bone help to keep it locked into a certain elevation without much pressure from your hand.

I needed to get these added to the list:

Triad Tactical, Inc. :: Bean Bags/Shooting Rests :: FTW Rear Bag

Very similar in size and shape to the TAB bag, but with the addition of the sidewall around the edge, and only one hand strap.
ftwbag.jpg

Square in shape with 1 ¼ “ inch side walls, as well as a new bead fill are just two of the features that set this bag far and ahead of other rear bags. We can’t begin to describe the incredible stability this bag provides. It’s about as close to shooting off the bench as you’re going to get.
Weight 1.2-1.3 lbs
Size 7"x5.25"x1.4
"
Length wise strap (for securing to the “bag hand”)
Corner Loop for attaching a carabineer or paracord
1000 Denier Cordura (trademarked)

• Length wise strap (for securing to the “bag hand”)
  • Corner Loop for attaching a carabineer or paracord
  • 1000 Denier Cordura (trademarked)

Last edited:
Steve, Do you find the "squared" bag to have identical or close to the same height as the "pillow" type? (in all positions)

Mark