• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Rear bag in the field

Re: Rear bag in the field

Yes. I use a simple sand bag, the same one I shoot with in a match. I often hunt from the prone position, so it is needed. If I'm in a box blind, I'm taking a 44 mag lever gun or 270, and don't need it.

If I am sitting on the ground I do. From a treestand I use my shooting sticks.

i use my waist harness instead of hauling in anything extra. as for shooting sticks, i use a walking stick i find on the way in.. lol

95% of my field shooting is prone....it goes where I go. Homemade, leather and freeze dried rice...got somthing to eat if I get real hungry............grin!

Chain
Here is what I use for prone....home made by another hide member...he used to sell them not sure if he is anymore. But they are easy to make, light (filled with freezed dried rice /uncle bens) and most of all works really well. About 1.5 in thick....put on end (standing up/not flat) under your stock.

P1040967.jpg

I installed a quick adj. rear monopod. Will try it out this year. Last year I supported it with left hand turned up. Didn't work very well. Only shot I got was on a yearling at 420 leaving the field. Caught him at back rib and into vital area. 7wsm dropped him though.

I always have pair of spare thick socks in the pack, so those would work if I had to have one.

Don't normally carry one as most of shots while hunting are taken either standing or sitting off shooting sticks...

I carry an old sock a mate left at my house, that I filled with rice and sewed up. It works ok. I have got a chick making me a slightly flasher thing filled with poly beads.

I find the extra stability on 500+ yard shots to be worth the weight.

I'm using Darrell Holland's now, but i'll pobably take some of the filling out so it's a bit more flexible--

IMG_0701.jpg

I saw a picture of a guy over here who had taped a bit of foam pipe insulation over the bottom bit of his sling. It was obviously too long so I guess he just bent it until the elevation was right.

Neat idea, you can't forget it, its right there when you need it, its very light and cheap. Haven't tried it but it looks like its worth a try out

Andy