• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear Bag Recommendations?

HuskyKMA

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2018
Total newbie here. Just got a Bergara B-14 HMR. I need recommendations on a rear bag that I can use for prone and bench shooting. Nothing positional yet.

My favorite bag for prone shooting is the Triad large wedge. I almost never shoot from a bench, but when I do, it works there too. For anything else, game changer.

Sand in sock= Sand sock

Seriously though nothing fancy but some sand, rice, small beads, etc in a sock really will work, and quite well actually.

Give this a try to play around with determining your height/size needed before actually ordering one, and who knows you may just stick with the sand sock!

Lots of options out there, so your best bet is to check out and demo what other guys on the range are using. What works best for me, may not work best for you. The best way I found to get around the "which bag" question, was to order up some cordura, webbing, hardware, and fill, and begin making bags myself that mimic the dimensions of the plethora of existing bags on the market. Ended up making 8+ bags for the cost of a pump pillow or game changer...and finally settled on the 3 bags that work best for my needs.

Since that doesn't really answer your question though, im running my homemade TabGear Str8 laced for a rear bag, along with a diy pump pillow and gamechanger.

good luck!

Str8 laced bag. I believe tab gear sells them now, but it is a simple, light and versatile bag. Weibad and tab gear both have a few great bags

Reactions: CharlieNC
My dedicated rear bag is the TAB gear small rear bag. I don't leave home without it.

I use an old sock I was issued in the Army (so bonus points for tactical-ness) filled with airsoft BB's. I had some black beans in there, but didn't want to deal with soggy fill when shooting in the rain.

You can definitely buy cooler rear bags. But if you are just starting out, I would make a sand sock until you know what you need and like.

never found anything to beat my str8 laced. but of everyone i know i'm the only one i think who uses a light fill bag like it.

I use a fortune cookie. Last match i used nothing else except a fortune cookie

Thank you everyone for all of the advice. I'm considering them all as options, tough to decide! I can see how you guys all end up trying multiple different bags.

Str8 laced bag. I believe tab gear sells them now, but it is a simple, light and versatile bag. Weibad and tab gear both have a few great bags
never found anything to beat my str8 laced. but of everyone i know i'm the only one i think who uses a light fill bag like it.

What are the dimensions on the Str8 Laced bags?

If you dont have a game changer or fortune cookie, get one of them. They work great as a rear bag and you can shoot just about any positional stage with them. Always go with the heavy fill if there is an option.

My grandma made me a beanbag out of beads and denim. It functions really well as a rear bag,it's small, and a conversation starter.

Total newbie here. Just got a Bergara B-14 HMR. I need recommendations on a rear bag that I can use for prone and bench shooting. Nothing positional yet.
I'd watch some matches and see the different ways you could use the bag if you want to progress in the game. Dont look for the coolest look for the one with the most uses. I think you need one type of bag and could use another. My choices would be a game changer and a puff pillow of some kind.

I use the game changer as a rear bag when I have to. It works, but have to raise up my bipod. If I could only have 2 bags, it'd be the OG gc, and small tab

I shoot off a bench most of the time and i bought the Triad large wedge when i was starting out and that is all i have used. Works very well.

Thanks again everyone. I think I'm leaning towards getting a Tab Gear large or small rear bag to start out with. That Game Changer looks pretty neat though, I'm adding that to the wish list as well.

Reactions: Campguy308
Nothing beats a heavy set of rabbit ears off the bench.
223ABA6E-27E7-4114-A151-D4ED14E13F42.jpeg
After that I like my homemade, denim sand bags, and they’re more versatile like for shooting off a truck:
image.jpg

Obviously both are too heavy to pack around for tactical steel and positional shooting, but they’re the right tool for the right job if you’re shooting off a bench; this is what you want for maximum stability.

Triad Wedge- been using the standard size for 10 years (I shoot very low prone). Tried others but always come right back to it.

Does anyone know exactly what types of filling are used in various shooting bags? i.e. size, shape, material.
I have a Triad small Wedge and the standard Red Tac rear bag from Triad, but think I would be better off with a flat type for field use. Something like the Armageddon X-Wing looks perfect but noone will ship it overseas without insane profit margins on the shipping(shipping is 2x the price of the bag, not gonna happen). The only similarly shaped bag I can find locally is the Helikon-Tex Accuracy Shooting Pillow but it has no filling. At various hobby shops the only bead filling I can find are slightly oval plastic beads of around 5x5 mm. This sounds a bit large, but maybe it's not so bad? Don't wanna cut open my Triad bags to find out :p