• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear bag recommendations

Adkhunter3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2020
    Earth
    Looking for a rear bag for prone shooting. All I have now is a pump pillow, which I like for hunting and positional stuff but not loving it for the prone/ long strings of shooting. Heard Frank mention the 3D ELR bag on his last podcast. What are some other options to look into? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Greyswandir
    Looking for a rear bag for prone shooting. All I have now is a pump pillow, which I like for hunting and positional stuff but not loving it for the prone/ long strings of shooting. Heard Frank mention the 3D ELR bag on his last podcast. What are some other options to look into? Thanks in advance.
    Waxed canvas armageddon gear pint sized game changer. Your choice if you want the sticky stuff or not, either are good

My Squaw makes them for me. A triangular shaped bag that will go from low to high with a long neck for shots in between and to gain some height but be steady.
    I came up with the idea and she sewed and filled it with rice. Been using it for about 8 years. Time for a new one, the same shape but with different filling.

My friends do not like the bag but I slip it in on them once in a while when they need just a little bit more and they all are able to use it..

In short, design YOUR own bag, build what you want, and go to a local seamstress and have her build what YOU want. Draw it out on paper and give her a kiss when you leave or a tip.

Of all of the bags I have bought over the years, this is the one I use, and it was MY idea.

I actually got tired of bags that were never quite right. I went to Amazon, and made my own from these two parts:
    Bag
    Fill
    This let me fill the bag to exactly the consistency I wanted to give the right support and squeezability. Super happy with the result. I have 5 other bags that I don't use ... since this is the one that's perfect for me. Wanna buy one of them?

Reactions: Alienta
    3D ELR from PU with light fill is awesome. Every time I let someone borrow it at the range they always ask for a link to order their own.

Bags are like shoes, if you’re a woman you probably have a closet full of them.
    Thats not the analogy I was going for...
    Bags are like shoes, you are going to have to try a few pairs before you find a good fit for you. Maybe see if you can demo some at a match or a gun shop. Otherwise you are gonna end up like most of us with close to a half dozen rear bags sitting in the closet.

Been using my gamechanger as of late working great, plus u can use for obstacles. Bought a precision underground from a friend that works great also

I actually got tired of bags that were never quite right. I went to Amazon, and made my own from these two parts:
    Bag
    Fill
    This let me fill the bag to exactly the consistency I wanted to give the right support and squeezability. Super happy with the result. I have 5 other bags that I don't use ... since this is the one that's perfect for me. Wanna buy one of them?
    That depends on what they are and your price

the armageddon gear game changer makes the perfect rear bag as well as positional when needed.

the armageddon gear game changer makes the perfect rear bag as well as positional when needed.
    I would disagree for the same reasons Frank mentions in his latest podcast. I struggle to get the web of my support hand to marry up to the bottom of the stock with a big ass bag like a GC. A purpose built rear bag is no big deal, and you can get well-made ones for less than $30

Reactions: deersniper
    I would disagree for the same reasons Frank mentions in his latest podcast. I struggle to get the web of my support hand to marry up to the bottom of the stock with a big ass bag like a GC. A purpose built rear bag is no big deal, and you can get well-made ones for less than $30
    I dont like having a bag full of bags. Ive become proficient with the gc for all my needs. To each there own.

Been playing with the shmedium for rear bag. Concerned it wont flex enough in awkward positions. Like when transitioning from low to high targets in elevation
    I did have to remove a bunch of the sand to get it to flex how I liked... have been toying with the idea of switching up the fill.

for the rear i've had a 3D ELR bag (for a semi-auto platform) the longest and the most time with it.
    starting out as a block with different (L+H+W) dimensions makes it flexible for setting up a stable base of various heights.
    if i pack the stock into the dense filling of the elr and bottom it out, i don't have to mess with it over a 10-shot string.
    i would recommend the product and company (Precision Underground), for whatever that's worth. ;) it's not like i'm frank or something.

although i love the elr for the range, it is relatively heavy and maybe not so ideal for field use where long strings of fire are not needed (hopefully).
    for something more pack friendly, more flexible for using as a front bag, and with the handle that make it easy for me use it more like a "squeeze" bag in the rear to get off a quick shot or two, i like the pint sized game changer (sticky). it is light, has a cool sticky surface that i can throw on a fence or rail and not worry about it slipping off. it also helps keep the bag from sliding when you're using it as a rear bag on pretty much any kind of surface you're likely to run into. don't be fooled by the ears on the pint sized sticky. the light loose filling adds to the flexibility, as it is also an X bag or a high wedge when you're using it for a rear bag.

after having tried both of these bags now, if i had to choose one i would say both. :ROFLMAO:
    while the game changer is awesome, the elr is still more stable laterally due to the denser filling.

honestly, from one of the hated "poors" on the forums, i think it is worth having both, but would choose the ELR if i only used it at the range for prone and bench shooting and wanted to shoot long strings of fire on target at a rapid clip. as a newb and a poor, i think it might be a little more forgiving if your setup isn't perfect, but again this is jmo and i am a nobody.
    if i could only have one bag and i needed to be operator af and run around with all my shit like a young whippersnapper, taking out targets and moving quickly to find more, (or i shot that sort of competition) i would take the sticky pint sized game changer or one of it's larger brothers all day.
    i also recommend this product and company, and they sent me an unsolicited refund on shipping, so their customer service seems top notch.

if you have to shoot off a smooth surface at the range and your bag (whatever you have if it isn't a sticky) slips and slides, my "poors pro tip" is to steal a silicone baking mat from your wife. you can see what i am talking about in the picture below. i found this to work on even the slickest surfaces, like the butcher board top of my workbench. the one in my range gear is a cut down version of that mat so it is only as big as it needs to be.
    if you don't want to look like a dork, or your wife doesn't bake, you can use any rubber mat, or if you don't want to bother with the stupid mat idea, spray good thick coat of plastidip or flexseal on a few of the sides of whatever bag you have (another poors tip that costs less than 10 bucks). if it gets jacked up scrub it down and spray it again. it somebody points out how fucked up it looks, tell them you're operator af and they should stfu.

y9CQot0.jpg

Last edited:
    I just got my Tabgear Small w/Heavy fill. Not very heavy. Not very small. To me it's a good size. I don't think I'd want anything too much larger for a rear bag.

Was originally worried it'd be too heavy and too small. Don't think so. It'll do for $30 shipped.

Not sure what kind of shooting you are doing but for long range, I prefer the Protektor rear bags. The further I'm shooting, the more I appreciate the rigidness.

If you are targeting multiple targets and constantly moving from target to target, I can see an advantage to the softer "squeeze" style bags. If you shoot ELR, rigid bags that don't deform are your friend.

This is my preferred bag. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MGDDS2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the Red Tac and STR8Laced bags.It is a good idea to have different bags for different shooting problems.

I love my game changer pint sized for a rear bag. Looking at the precision underground ELR and 3d ELR, i might give them a try also. Anyone know if there is a discount for us with PU?

What rear bag is @lowlight using now, and recommending? I've been a long time user of the AG Gamechanger for everything, but listening to him talk about it being a compromise makes me want to know what I'm missing. Thanks