• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear monopod technique

ltrshooter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2011
Georgia
I would appreciate advice from anyone using a rear monopod as to optimal technique. I have learned that every force on the rifle that disturbs the natural point of aim will impact accuracy. I have also learned that every force on the rifle needs to be reproducuble and similar with every shot. i am trying to work on monopod technique and wondering questions like should you let go of the pod before breaking the shot or if you hold on how do you keep from introducing extraneous forces during the recoil pulse. Any advice would be appreciated.

I watched the above video before using my monopod in the field. I used the same techniques and have had better results than when using a rear bag

Monpod is useful in some situations and video is well done. Would like to have seen his target grouping at the end! I still find that in many situations the rear bag is better!

The video Bunsen posted is great. I watched it a while ago and have been getting great results using that method. I prefer a bag, but if you don't have one, it's a great method and produces tight groups.

ltrshooter, I have some experience shooting with a monopod and will say it being attached to the rifle is the big sell for me, can't forget it or leave it behind and cuts the load-out weight as well

I use the monopod to "steer" the rifle onto the target, I don't let go of it before breaking the shot (Think of driving into a sharp curve then releasing the steering wheel, nobody does that right?). With a bolt gun I'm adjusting to re-acquire or to a second target while working the bolt, a gasser its just point and shoot.

For static targets, I adjust the monopod "leg" until the desired sight picture is achieved, with the horizontal cross hair just above target, then I slide my off hand down on the leg to the supporting surface (whatever I'm shooting off of) making the heel of my hand the interface between the supporting surface and the leg of the monopod. Then I can raise or lower ever so slightly my sight picture with just a bit more or less hand tension.

For dynamic or multiple targets, I use the leg like a lever, swinging it front to back to raise lower and pan the sight picture, the off-hand heel is still the interface between supporting surface and monopod.

That's my experience, yours may be different.

One of these days I'll make a video of how I use my mono-pod on my bolt and gasser, I'm just not as photogenic as Lonewolf. ;) My methodology is very similar to Kaseys. My support hand and mono-pod combine to be my rear-bag. I have the QK (quick release) models and my support thumb rest on that button to facilitate rapid height adjustments when engaging multiple targets. I rarely ever lock the mono-pod out perpendicular to the stock the mono-pod is always at an angle less than 90, which is also why I tend to go with a longer mono-pod than recommended. In my experience the mono-pod is typically more versatile than most rear bags and is always attached to the rifle when you need it, not back at the last stage. :)

I had a monopod in the past and just did not like it as much as a rear bag and sold it. A few months later I saw Lonewolf's video and have been tinkering with the idea again. Kasey and bunsen I would love to see a video of your use, even a cheap cell phone video would help.

Sully

I tend to use more or a snappier wrist motion when I toss them in the trash, they just seem to sail through the air a little better.

"I tend to use more or a snappier wrist motion when I toss them in the trash, they just seem to sail through the air a little better."

Will you share your experience of using the monopod that resulted in your refined technique of throwing "them" away.

For me having the monopod mounted is a plus, even if I use a bag. The folded monopod rests on the bag, raises the rear of the stock up a few inches, and lets me use a smaller bag.

"I tend to use more or a snappier wrist motion when I toss them in the trash, they just seem to sail through the air a little better."

Will you share your experience of using the monopod that resulted in your refined technique of throwing "them" away.

Anything constructive?

Kasey, I don't think you'll hear anything constructive. I like your monopod. And I like rear bags. Being as forgetful as I am, the monopod is the perfect solution for me.

I like my monopod. I works with bags too! Its the best solution for both preferences.