• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rear support bag?

BMerino

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Utah
I've been using a mono-pod but haven't gotten a 100% compfortable with it and think I like the rear support bag better after giving both ample effort. Wondering if anyone is making their own and what ideas folks have had for them. Things like what they're making them out of, carrying options, attached to the weapon or not, things like that. Hope this generates some discussion.

Re: Rear support bag?

Use advanced search: Type: +rear +bag
Best results if you do a search based only on the post title
Spread it out about 3 months
You'll get 4 pages of discussion on this topic

On a personal note: I have used Redtac gear, Triad tactical, 8541 tactical and TAB gear for one piece of kit or another. All variations you mentioned are made by 1 or more of these companies.

unless you have the equipment on hand to do a good job, it is best to just bite the bullet and buy a bag from someone that makes a good product.

I am not plugging for anybody in particular here but this link has just about all of the ones that you might need/want.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Bean-Bags-Shooting-Rests/

I made one of the socks full o' beans. The commercial made ones are superior.

If you want to make your own, go to your local craft store and ask for "poly pellets". They are what they make beanie babies out of. They are impervious to water and have a little better feel than beans.

Pour some into a sock and knot it, double it back over itself and knot it again. Depending on the quality of the sock, that will last you for awhile.

But then again, once you have purchased the pellets you are over half way to a purpose built bag made out of lasting materials.

Badger ordnance makes a purpose built rear bag called a "badger bone." I've never used one, but they look very practical. Plus they are cheap.......$20.00 I think. I personally use one from Triad....love it!!!

I bought this one recently. Great option so you can move it back and forth to adjust elevation.

TT-BB-T-KH3.jpg

Agree with LonewolfUSMC. I've tried a couple of store-bought supports and have stuck with beads/poly pellets in a knotted sock. Fill until it's about the size of a softball. Weighs nothing, fits anywhere, shapes great, costs almost nothing. Dries fast, but if it gets muddy or moldy (it will), toss it and make a new one. You can dummy cord it to your rifle or BDU w. some 550. sirhr

early last year I made one in a triangle shape similar to the TRIAD one
srv656s posted, But I sewed it out of ECWS Military goretex from a set of old pants (ebay, $10) So it's camo, waterproof/moldproof and should last a decade. I far prefer it to any rear legs, including my latest stock that has one built in.

I'm not all HSLD like many folks here, but an standard-issue jarhead sock full of airsoft pellets works well enough for me.

Along the lines of what Sirhrmechanic said, some 550 cord under the knot and with a loop big enough to fit over one shoulder means the bag lays across your chest and is always close to hand.

I got one of Stu's lightweight jobbers and it is really nice!!

Here is what I use... about 6" by 4" by 3" deep. soft flexable leather bag filled with freeze dried rice.(put the rice in a pastic bag so it doesnt get wet before you put it in the leather pouch) It is light and can be put at several different hights by turning the bag and it is solid.

3064_1149326538330_1382581942_30405432_1546490_n.jpg

The commerically available units work well and I see nothing wrong with them. However I, like lonewolf, prefer to make my own. An old sock, filling media (I like popcorn kernels myself) and your set. I also stitch my socks shut with 10 lbs leader material.

I think the pellets at a craft store are around $12 for 2 pounds, but at Ebay you can get 10 pounds for about $21 after shipping. So if you get some frinds to go in with you it costs a lot less.

I found this out because I recently bought one of those Caldwell front rest bags that they ship empty and I didn't want to fill it with rice or something else heavy so I searched around and ordered from this lady.

+1 for the DIY guy. Just finished 2 rear bags this week. Like the clear plastic pellets, kind of heavy but a lot better than sand.

Triad has good choices, prices & service- and you will receive a very sturdy rear bag super fast-at least I did.

I stole a trick from Rob01. Instead of knotting the sock, fill an inner athletic type sock (tighter weave) with the poly pellets. Cut and sew to whatever length you want. Put this inside a OD sock, fold over and sew then (here is the trick) shoe goo the entire hem. Won't come out and makes sure even if you don't do a great job sewing it will not come apart. You even get 2 for the deal, give one to a buddy.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redman half pint </div></div>

My personal fave. As soon as I have a couple extra nickels to rub together I'm getting an ultralight one.

I'd like to play with a TAB bag too.

I had made many of rear bags and thought i had it mastered. Many years back I broke down and got Stu's redtac gear bag and I have loved it.

I have used the hell out of my bag and it gets more use then most people put on a rear bag and mine looks just as good as when I first got it!!

I have Stu put a little less fill in mine then what he normally uses because I like it a bit smaller.

Now that I have the new ultra light I cant wait to use it this weekend and it will be on its way to TX for the SH cup!!

Buy once and you will never regret it!!

I asked a recent class 20 of special operations snipers who spend 50 percent of their time deployed in the sandbox how many of them carry a sand sock on operations.

The count was zero.

People who shoot exclusively in competitions or other venues may find them useful.

My recommendation is that people train for the environment in which they will employ their firearms.

Well I remember carring mine to the field like many others!!

Guess it depends on how you train and how you decide to fight and what mission essential gear you need to make it happen.

The new ultra light bag is so light even the weakest guy out there could handle carring it along and it will work as a pillow as well.

To each is own in the end it comes down to mission accomplishment!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To each is own in the end it comes down to mission accomplishment!</div></div>

Absolutely.

My point is that if you have not trained for an environment you may find yourself in, you may not be effective in that environment.

For example, pilots regularly simulate instrument failures, so that they will know how to handle them.

If you always shoot with a sand sock, you may not be as effective shooting without one.

Competition shooters may always be able to use a sand sock - depending upon the competitive format they shoot in. There is no reason for an F-class shooter to train for shooting without rests.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Triad is showing out of stock on the tapered bag, any color. Is there another source for their stuff, or do you have to buy direct? </div></div>

Tim, you have to buy direct. I wish I had a truckload of them right now.

Made my own. had the sock, had the plastic bags, got the beanie baby guts for free too. cost of rear bag? Zero Dollars. and it works great. cant beat it with a stick. im sure there are nicer ones and maybe they do more or are better, but heck, free is free and it works good for me.

Paulus

I bought the Red Tac Gear rear bag and found it to small to be used with a 6-9 Harris so I sold it and am still looking for a rear bag. Looks like I am going to go the DIY route but I really want a custom made one.

Anyone know if the TAB bag can provide 4" of height?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

STFU...The OP wants a rear bag, not some BS about SO snipers.

</div></div>

Coming across like a first rate ass is beyond rude. Calling "BS" on a guy you know noting about is beyond ignorant. Lindy happens to be a seasoned instructor and was simply making a valid point about rear bags. Unless this is some sort of inside joke I strongly suggest you apologize.

I have three old Army socks that I filled with dried beans of some kind...been working for over 15 years.

Although that Triad bag looks pretty sweet.

Check out dog-gone-good bags specifically the Holland bags. Outstanding quality

+1 for Holland Bags

I made one of mine out of an old canvas jacket, some quilting thread and rice. (what I had around the house)

I hasve bags fro Redman, Triad, and a DIY Panty6 made for me. They all work well, but Pany 6's is made from an inner lining 'green boot sock' with a OD green t-shirt outside. The inside media is silicone soaked rice. Now here's the funny thing: Using all three with three different rifles they all work well, but making adjustments with PAnty 6's is the easiest.
The only easier kit is my Monopod(Thanks Kasey!) The transition to the monopod was second nature since I was a -60 gunner for a long time. It acts exactly like the T&E off a tripod and for me makes for some decent accuracy if I take time on shots

Just picked up two Redman bags, one for myself and one for a gift, from Adam at Bauer Arms. Anyone looking for one of Stu's bags may want to check with him, Adam is good to go. Looking forward to trying it out in the field.