• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Reasonable ($1500 or under) with 18-25x

Derek Myers

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2005
Pacific Northwest
If I wanted scope that was $1500 or so and I actually wanted to be able to use the high power setting and use it for shooting..not just target ident. What would you go with? I have found that most scope I have used get either real hazy at max mag, or the eye relief is so bad I am looking through a black straw not a 30mm tube. I have in general stayed with a LEO 4.5-14 because IMHO everything I have used/tried had bad high mag or it had great high mag like an IOR I once used but that thing was like the guys 3rd one and on the first one IOR told him "too bad" pretty much. They did get better though and he still shoots the 3rd IOR today. At 18x the IOR was great to view but the clicks were mushy and it wouldn't keep running. Now to be fair......I can't-won't go S&B and Premeir or US Otpics line of $3k scopes......all based on $$$$ only.

Also what do you guys think of the super mag scopes..40x and above? Do they really work? Are they only applicable in benchrest shooting on 60lb rail guns? I see in other forums people taking $400 scopes and having "power boosting" done to make them 40-60X! Is this anymore than putting a dang microscope in or behind the scope? How much haze and shake do those babies have? And how "breakable" are they?

derek

Re: Reasonable ($1500 or under) with 18-25x

Nightforce or Vortex both have offerings in that price range that would work. Either a used 5-22 NXS or one of the new Vortex PST 6-24 for $900, both I'm sure will be clear at max power. If you can swing a little more then the 5-20 Vortex Razor will give you FFP if you want it.

Re: Reasonable ($1500 or under) with 18-25x

Jason is the Vortex you have coming a Razor or one of their $899 variety which I hear are also very nice........and such a price point killer they are waiting list material.

Jason based on where you live have you ever been a Leupold guy? Ever been to the custom shop or the factory etc?

Or the last 3-4 years I have been trying to be the 6 million dollar man........"we can rebuild him" etc etc....excpet I never got faster or stronger.......just older, weaker and slower. But a few years back Leupold was kind of the standard bearer.......the Mk4 line was the one that other were compared to......either to be better than or worse than. Now I find out I am too old to be cool..........I may need to leave Leupold. Actually since I haven't shot for so long I left them or they left me along time ago......no more free shirts/hats.

Seriously though I will see if other companies and products have surpassed Leupold without surpassed my wallet at the same time. A part of me wants more mag and more features and of course I would love better glass at the higher mags if the customer service and warranty went along with it. You buy a Leupold one time and if you don't sell it you have a working scope for life....they will honor the warranty with a smile forever. As bad as I want a "newer" scope....now I am seeing the old stand by Mark 4 4.5-14 x 40mm.....on sale for $799 and I am old enough I have the adjustments of the "mil dots" and 1/4 MOA clicks in my head.......so for me I would have to learn the sensable mil/mil thing. For competition shooting at steel or known targets even at 1000 yards on a standard target you know where the x ring is even I can't see it with a Leo at 14x........it would be nice to dial up to 25x and "see" the target let alone see your hits...maybe not at 1000 be see hits at lesser longe range targets. And Personally I hate binocs and spotting scopes more.......I used to carry a 30x miny monocular for long range target ident when doing field work....but for just shooting or hunting I don't like the extra gear.........so I'm thinking higher mag that actually works.

Thanks guys-Derek