• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reasonable expectations

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
Quick background: I've been in LE for 15 years, SWAT sniper team for 12 and the team leader for six. I'm familiar with shooting long range and consider myself competent out to 1K yards with my .308 bolt gun (competent meaning I know my abilities and limitations as well as those of my equipment, not that I can get a 1st round head shot at any distance in any conditions). I've been shooting the M16/M4/AR15 platform for 25 years but never really used it as or considered it for a precision platform.

I'm now working on a project and attempting to keep my expectations realistic with the AR15 platform. My hunting partner and I have a 1000 acre deer lease and we've got entirely too many coyotes on it. We pulled trail camera cards a month ago and had coyotes on all seven cameras on every area of the farm. We archery hunt/film as a team and I cleared it with our DNR that it would be lawful to carry a rifle to the stand and deal with any coyotes that pop up (could have had two last year had we had a rifle). I decided to put together an upper which would fit the bill and just got it together last week.

IMG_0984_zps24fa68a9.jpg

I went with a Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrel in 14.5" to keep the OAL short for convenience. I see 300 yards as a rare maximum distance while we're in the stands or moving around the farm and figured a 1-4X Vortex would work well for the typically very short/fast opportunities when a coyote pops up. I'm using it on my work SBR lower with a CMC 3.5lb trigger.

I took it to the range yesterday for ammo testing and found it to be a bit more challenging to shoot accurately at 100yds with a 4X scope than with the USO 3.2-17X I'm used to. My target choice could have probably been better as I was using .5" orange dots which disappeared behind the reticle. I shot a couple of groups with Black Hills 77gr OTM, Fed GM 69gr BTHP and some 55gr RUAG a friend of mine has had great luck with. I had the orange dots on paper which I then removed from the cardboard backer to measure the groups beneath.

IMG_0993_zps0014e294.jpg

Black Hills I got .774" & .798"
Federal I got 1.017" & 1.101"
RUAG I got 2.047 & 1.148"

At this point I'm confident the Black Hills will work for me on a coyote out to 300 and the Federal likely would also. I'm trying to figure out if I should get my hands on some other varieties of ammo to test but my biggest curiosity is if the 4X at 100 yards is preventing me from squeezing the best accuracy out of the upper and if the limitations of the setup are putting me into the realm where it's me more than the ammo at this point.

I guess in an extremely long winded way what I'm asking is, for those of you who have both higher magnification systems as well as low mags like my 1-4x, do you see a decrease in your ability to shoot accurately with the lower magnifications? I intend to do a better job of target selection next time out but wanted to see what others have experienced as well. I have a tendency to chase perfection until my frustration kills the enjoyment and I don't want to do that here. I simply have little experience here and if I know what is reasonable I can keep my expectations in check.

Last edited:
I have a similar set up. I use a Leupold 1.5x5 and I match my load to the rifle. For shooting groups I find it difficult to shoot to the rifles potential unless you match the target to the reticle/magnification of the scope. For practical accuracy I find that magnification range very effective out to 400 yards. I can consistently hit a 10" plate at 400 yards from a kneeling supported (barricade) position.

i tried the 1-4 route on my coyote rifle the vitals on a coyote are less than 10 inches. coyotes are also pretty tough. i shoot them with v max or hollow points. match bullets tend poke through not doing as much damage and not yielding as clean of kills. i have defiantly noticed i do not shoot as good of groups with a 1-4 without the proper target. i like the 2.5-10 range for coyotes. they often present small targets and it is nice to be able to see them. i have just never found myself in need of less than 2.5 and i call them. i did find myself wishing for more than 4 with my 1-4 on my coyote rifle.

The short answer is yes. The purists will be along shortly to say no. High mag, thin stadia help with pretty groups to post on the net. They do not help with functional hits as long as one can effectively fractionalized the the ret for holds.

So yes, those groups could be a smidge tighter but functionally the quality of the hit is not going to change.

Some people will get wrapped up on magnification and suggest more is better and sometimes it is. But what I believe is more important is the quality of the glass and the reticle, can you see it and use it (not too thick/thin) A good test would be I think is a 6" steel plate or target and find your limit with that set up in field supported positions. You should be good out to 300 yards.

You are shooting MOC (minute of coyote), you look gtg.

Pick the ammo, zero for it, don't over think this.

My guess is that you will prob. shoot more coyotes closer than farther.

You'll put a hole in them just fine.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I think I'll be happy with it like it is and aside from perhaps testing a few rounds designed more specifically for knocking coyotes over, call it good.

Your scope is fine since you already own it. There is a lot of money tied up in the reticle design/travel but I don't think you will use it for this purpose. Get some scope caps. It rains.

Get a 10 rd. Or a 20 at most. You need the maneuverability. They are lighter. No upside to a 30 rd.

Ditch the heavy bullets. For various reasons. Get faster bullets that expand. There are plenty of options in 40-55 grain range. Your 1-8 twist will work fine. V-Max or Ballistic tips. That rifle should shoot 1 moa. At least. With those bullets.

If you zero at 250 yards, you are point and shoot with no more than 3 inches to account for from muzzle to 300. A coyote vital area is about 6". To 250 yards, it is indeed point and shoot.

You need a tall bipod.

Most of my shooting will be from a tree stand so no bipod on this one. If I decide to go out at night with the PVS-22 I've got a bipod I'll pop on there