• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reasonable Tri pod.

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Ok so I've been looking around for a shooting tripod and some of these prices are pretty high for what I'm expecting... I've seen some for $110 to $600. Now I know this isn't new technology or anything special and you can buy camera tripods for $20-$100.

Why are these so expensive.. Am I missing something as to why these cost so much?

Also if there aren't any "reasonable" priced tripods would I be able to take a camera tripod and just put a rifle holder or even a v shaped or flat piece to stabilize the rifle the on the top? Or any kits that make that possible?

m24_iraq_snipers_2004_375.jpg
predator-university-review-1055.jpg

Re: Reasonable Tri pod.

Thank you.

But why are these so expensive?

Cheap tripods are a no go in any wind or at their extension ranges...that is just how it is. So I assume the $ pays for better manufacturing, gearing, tubing and components. Higher priced models do better in uneven terrain and less than ideal conditions. Try a nice spotter at high power on a crap bipod and then try it on even a mid priced unit and there is a very noticeable difference unless you are in a level floored vacuum. The link I provided is what I would consider a nice multi-use unit at a decent price.

Most of those expensive camera tripods are expensive because of the independent legs that lock at different settings independent of each other. As well the cost comes in when you figure how many leg sections there are, as well as the mounting system and screw size.

There is also weight considerations so the legs don't buckle, and the material used to build the tripod. Grade of aluminum, Carbon Fiber, Composites like Lava Rock... that all goes into cost.

The cheap ones, like the one in the first picture, is plastic and doesn't have independent legs, the second one, does.

With tripods, more often than not you get what you pay for. And the worse the condition the more that cost pays for itself.

Yea I kinda just over looked the cost of materials. I figured most were just plastic anyways so that's why I couldn't understand why it would cost so much.

I'm just looking for a good shooting plat form other than prone if I done have a stable solid support to rest on. And shooting off my legs or kneeling with hand support I wont hit anything after 300yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just went with this in medium: http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/

platypus here on the Hide can tell you all you need to know about application.</div></div>

+1 Good guys!

Another big + for precision rifle solutions!! Tubes and components are made from aluminum and will hold up to the weight of a heavy rifle, easy to adjust, and the cradles are simple and stable and he has them in different sizes. Give them (Dan and his wife Sharon) a call, great team and awesome customer service.

I use my Swarovski Tripod when I'm not long distance spotting. These are somewhat expensive but can't be beat for quality and versatility. Lot's of quick change options.

fyi the swarovoski is a mannfrotto labeled for swarovoski,

My Precision Rifle Solutions medium tripod is the perfect combination of price, weight, and stability for my use at matches and in the field.

Dan and Sharon have always treated me better than I deserve.

I recommend you give them a call.

Chops

Chops,

Thank you for the kind words and we do appreciate your business and support.

The tripods we offer are manufactured by SLIK and as stated by Chops and others they are an excellent balance of price, versatility, durability, and ease of packing. The cost of tripods varies greatly with features and material of construction. Carbon fiber while providing a great weight to strength ratio the price can be out of line with what you are trying to accomplish with your tripod. The SLIK model I started with over twenty years ago is still serviceable and used on a regular basis. Things to look for when shopping for a tripod:
- materials of construction - aluminum tube construction with high density plastic and steel components, small threaded parts should have a steel insert to screw into to greatly reduce wear and tear on threaded parts, check to see how tight the parts lock up when locked into place,
- versatility - what do you want it to be able to do, adjust down to a workable height for shooting prone or off a bench or raised surface, high enough to accommodate the highest position you will be shooting sitting, kneeling or standing. Will the legs adjust independently to allow for uneven surfaces or slopes, does the head allow for panning a target area, does the head allow for a rapid change of support or optics, will it work well to support other jobs like camera work, laser range finders, or observation with a spotting scope and binos
- pack ability - can the tripod be easily strapped to your gear or stowed in a ruck, if you can't pack it you won't use it, does it easily transition from stowed to in position,
Cost - yes, tripods are more expensive than three wood dowels and some 550 cord but they also bring more to the table in the way of stability and versatility.
Tripods do not answer all the questions but they do add a significant tool to your tool box when it comes to your shooting, whether you are shooting over that tall grass for antelope or gophers, or moving between positions during a competition, or set up in a land far away hunting terrorist, or providing ballistic intervention in a law enforcement environment, shooting off a tripod makes you that much more effective and efficient when you can adjust to the environment.

If you have any questions please feel free to email us [email protected] or give us a call 281-541-1549, or PM us here. Our website has additional information and pictures as well Precision Rifle Solutions

Here is a review of the tripod and cradle written by Tony Burkes back in 2007 when we were still getting things off the ground. The tripods have evolved to include a quick detach ball head and better latches and finishes. The larger cradle pictured is my original cradle I used for almost 11 years in the Marine Corps I made a cover for it when I let Tony use it as I did not think a cradle covered in 90mph tape and a OD sock.

Tony Burkes review of the SSP and tripod system submitted 10-17-07 on Sniper’s Hide

A buddy made me a tripod/cradle combination to try out at Thunder Ranch.

Right off the bat, I liked the ball mount head on top. It tightens and loosens with less than a 90 degree turn of the ball lever. It has a standard threaded stud that accepts the cradle Danel gave me. It also holds my Cannon Powershot G7 camera, and a Leupold 15-45 spotting scope that a couple of the guys had with them.

The center shaft is a two piece affair. You can remove the bottom 7 1/2" if you'll be lowering the tripod more than the entire shaft will allow. You can also reverse the shaft, having the head under the center point, rather than on top as usual.

The legs are made of three sections. With the legs retracted they are 11 1/2" long. Fully extended they measure 34 3/4" long. The leg tips have rubber feet that grip rocks, concrete, hard surfaces. The rubber feet can be screwed in to reveal metal spikes for softer surfaces. The legs adjust with the clamp type locks that open and close with a flip of a finger.

The legs can be opened to three different widths, tall, midway, and flat on the ground.

The cradle easily supports my McMillan A5 stock fore end

With the center shaft raised all the way up and legs fully extended, in the highest position, the surface of the cradle is 42 1/2" above the ground.

With the 7 1/2" center shaft removed and the legs folded up and fully extended the cradle surface is 6 1/4" above the ground. As a comparison, the bottom of the fore end of my A5 with my Harris bipod 6 to 9 installed is 6".

The tripod alone weighs 1.6 pounds, with the cradle the package weighs 2.5 pounds

With the cradle installed and folded down next to the legs the package is 14 3/4" long

I give this tripod two big thumbs up. It's light, easily adjustable, very versatile, and sturdy. I've been trying to pare my equipment down in such a way that a piece of gear can be used for more than one thing. This tripod is a very handy piece of kit.

I think he may be putting together packages of the cradle/tripod to sell in addition to the little shorty ones that were being sold on the Hide group buy section. I think this tripod just kicks the little ones ass all over the place.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are several thousand words of the tripod in action.

2afz7ux.jpg

2cx9212.jpg

jkj34n.jpg

rsamnm.jpg

34h78l5.jpg

296bv9.jpg

ao6vcy.jpg

mmbtqg.jpg

2vukmlw.jpg

20tp7vm.jpg

url]

url]

url]

CK_32,

If cost is an issue, buy a secondhand tripod from a car-boot sale or similar. Tripods are usually 10 a penny in such places and if you know what your looking for, its possible to get a decent quality one for next to nothing.

Regards,

Peter

+1 for the PRS, I have the medium with the larger saddle for my A5 stock and it's worth its weight in gold. You can rest your spotter up there, LRF or rifle. It hasn't left my pack since the day it arrived in the mail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfLZ6R9F6s0

One more plug for Danel and his PRS tripods. I have been running one of his tripods for some time now and have beaten the crap out of it. It is still as strong and stable as the day I got it although it doesn't look as "pretty" since the paint is coming off in parts from use and getting banged around in my pack. I have run mine with the SSP-2 shooting rest (with rifles up to 18lbs), with my spotter (an 80mm Pentax), and as an LRF tripod...all with great success.

I highly recommend the PRS tripods both for the quality of the product and the quality of the man who is standing behind the product!!

I have low and medium PRS tripod and interchange them with shooting rest and binocs. Good quality, light and very useful.