• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reasonable Velocity's for a 69gr SMK

4Rail_Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2006
Stephenville, Texas
Fixing to start loading for .223 20" Bushmaster H-Bar.

What are some reasonable velocity figures to shoot for with a 69Gr Sierra Matchking
Can i get 3000 FPS in 80 degree weather?
Don't want to be blowing out primers in 100 degree weather though.
Trying BLC-2, Ramshot TAC, and W748
Win Brass, Win Primer

Any Thoughts?

Re: Reasonable Velocity's for a 69gr SMK

2850fps is reasonable. 2950fps is on the edge. 3000fps is probably pushing it a bit in my opinion. BTW, I'm driving 69gr pills from a 223 Wylde chamber and 20" barrel at 2800fps as my standard competition load without any issues.

Are you kidding? We have people here that drive 77gr SMK at greater than 3200FPS to get to 1000yard supersonically.

In all seriousness, 2850FPS with a 20inch barrel is about right for a 69gr SMK, maybe a little more, but not much.

I've not used BLC-2 or TAC, but found 748 to be pretty temp sensitive. Like 150 fps difference between 40 degF and 85 degF. Haven't used it since.

YMMV, but be careful.

-Slice

Wanting to work up a load with ball powder so i can run full progressive On my XL650.

Just don't know what to expect with the 69gr...been shooting the 52grain through my 16" barrel.

Changing guns and loads...Should be interesting

I have been shooting 25.3gr of BL-C(2) for several years and like the load. I do not shoot competition, but have plinked and shot steel using this load to 600 yds in summer (100+ degree) and winter (just below freezing).

Its shot out of a 20" bbl, and uses winchester brass and Fed 205M primers.

Hodgdon's website gives the range and approximate velocities (2800 to 3000). I've not chrono'd my load.

I did choose the load giving me the tightest group (25.3). My groups did begin opening up toward the top end for me (26.5), but were still under an inch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you kidding? We have people here that drive 77gr SMK at greater than 3200FPS to get to 1000yard supersonically. </div></div>

To do that in a 20" AR barrel with a 77gr SMK, they are running at over 100K PSI. They are also running a very compressed load. Sounds like a Darwin Award in the making to me.....

Realistically they are using a much longer barrel in a non AR platform and perhaps a 223 Rem Ackley Imp and even then still pushing it. Check your facts before recommending that to anybody.....

4Rail_Gunner, PM me with your specs and I can help you workup a couple of loads in QL. Just poking around the powder tables for that load, BL-C2 will be one of your better powders for max velocity.

Hazardus,

I think that was a tongue-in-check reference to a recent thread on shooting a .223 @ 1000yds... one person claimed to be shooting a 77gr load that was still supersonic at 1k, despite arguments to the contrary. I don't think Sig was in any way recommending such a load, but sometimes sarcasm can be lost in the translation in plain text...

Monte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hazardus,

I think that was a tongue-in-check reference to a recent thread on shooting a .223 @ 1000yds... one person claimed to be shooting a 77gr load that was still supersonic at 1k, despite arguments to the contrary. I don't think Sig was in any way recommending such a load, but sometimes sarcasm can be lost in the translation in plain text...

Monte </div></div>

That is absolutely correct, my first line was positively dripping with sarcasm, which is why I said "In all seriouness at the start of the next sentence.

Sorry Sig685, I guess I missed that thread and didn't interpret your sarcasm. At first read I thought you were just making light of it and recommending it! Ha!

I'm particularly glad I edited and softened my message as the first version was like WTF as your second line wasn't present when I posted the reply!
laugh.gif

I run 25.5 Varget (or substitute RL-15 at same wt.)
A little crunching during bullet seating.
LC brass
Rem 7.5 primer
69 SMK moly
2775 out of 16" at about 60 deg. F
should be just over 2900 in a 20" but havn't chronographed the 20" yet.
Very generous primer radius and zero brass flow.
Shot with 5.56, Wilde, SAMMI .223 chambers
Varget is very temperature stable and is giving top velocities with low peak pressures.

Temperatures caused me problems here in Ohio with ball powder. I tried BLC-2, 748, and H335 and had velocities vary up to 150 fps. I'm now sticking to Varget. I'm getting 2,900 out of a 20" barrel with 69gr SMKs. I'd like to load them progressively as well, but prefer to have a load I can count on. The fmj stuff gets loaded with ball powder.