• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reasons people compete, and what grows the sport.

FWIW, it did come in REALLY handy on Sunday as something happened on Saturday that caused the day to get shut down after lunch. We ended up shooting 12 or 13 stages on Sunday I think. Sunday was Hammer Down all day long for all of us to try to finish on time, and there wasn't time to mess around. I shot better on Day 2 than Day 1, probably because I didn't have time to mess around thinking about how I'd just shot. ;)

The only real challenge to that format was that there was no rotation in the squad. I was always last. The guy in my squad that shot first kind of had the same sentiment, he couldn't stay and hang out with the rest of the squad, he had to move to the next stage and get the lay of the land so he could be ready to go when they called his name.

Reactions: BurtG
That sounds like a terrible way to run a match.

But as @renege is quick to point out, I’m a typer-sniper know nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: Dot3 and BurtG
As I improve my shooting, I am less and less interactive and trusting of others advice or “help”. I didn’t copy others at school either. Didn’t trust them to be correct. I do the best when I shoot as if I’m the only one there. When I get really unconsciously competent, I will bs to have some fun and mess with heads.

If there were money to be made I’m sure more people would be interested. I was looking at the prs22 finale and there were 188 shooters, $225 entry fee = $42,300.
First place open only paid out $2000?Second place $1500
Third place $1000
After flying or driving to Texas , hotel stays, $225 entry fee, even if you place first I’m going to guess you came close to breaking even. Correct me if I’m wrong here guys because this is all speculation. Shouldn’t the payouts be more for such a big event ? Also, shouldn’t the top 10 get something , at least their entry fee back?
If there is that little money to be made for such a big event to me it’s no wonder why more people don’t get involved.

Reactions: Emerson0311
If there were money to be made I’m sure more people would be interested. I was looking at the prs22 finale and there were 188 shooters, $225 entry fee = $42,300.
Third place $1000
After flying or driving to Texas , hotel stays, $225 entry fee, even if you place first I’m going to guess you came close to breaking even. Correct me if I’m wrong here guys because this is all speculation. Shouldn’t the payouts be more for such a big event ? Also, shouldn’t the top 10 get something , at least their entry fee back?
If there is that little money to be made for such a big event to me it’s no wonder why more people don’t get involved.
I think maintaining ranges , paying help etc cost more than people think.

This a hobby / sport. Not a occupation.

Doubt even sponsored shooters are making money at this game

I don’t know any shooter where that even figures into their desire to shoot matches.

Closer matches would be a big draw for me. Half the reason I got a vudoo

All’s I know about holding matches is when I held matches. I never had a big turnout but I always had a big expense. For a small local match, i spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500.00. I took in about $220 (22 shooters at $10 per shooter which was the going rate for IHMSA matches) paid my target setters a hundred apiece. (2 target setters = $200 and setting IHMSA silhouettes all day in the hot sun, i got a bargain). All this was after we totally rebuilt the range after 20 years of neglect.

After the first match, just about every person who had ever been a member of that club, demanded their share of the profits (despite never having even offered to haul off the overfill trash cans which I doubt had been emptied in 20 years, yes you can imagine how that was).

Don’t know what folks are doing with that much money, but I do know that organizations have to pay for the range, insurance, help of sorts and if they provide food that has to be paid for as well. Reminds me of horse training…..Want to make a small fortune, start out with a large fortune

As I improve my shooting, I am less and less interactive and trusting of others advice or “help”. I didn’t copy others at school either. Didn’t trust them to be correct. I do the best when I shoot as if I’m the only one there. When I get really unconsciously competent, I will bs to have some fun and mess with heads.

That is not a good way to look at attending a match. The people that you are less interactive and trusting of are the people you say you want to be when you get better. Sound like a good plan? Nope. Should be wanting to help people as they still have to shoot the stage. I give people a wind call or help etc if needed. They still have to hit the target. You should really rethink your whole approach.

That is not a good way to look at attending a match. The people that you are less interactive and trusting of are the people you say you want to be when you get better. Sound like a good plan? Nope. Should be wanting to help people as they still have to shoot the stage. I give people a wind call or help etc if needed. They still have to hit the target. You should really rethink your whole approach.
I help anyone who I can and who wants help. Most are not ready to accept help in a public setting until I am good enough to be expected to podium. Honesty and openness seems to make many assume I’m insecure. I do not look for help because most people are full of shit, usually because they don’t know any better.

Reactions: Newbie2020
As a follow up thought, I’ve found many competitive shooters are no where near as good as they pretend, especially the ones with big $$$$ rifles and optics. With decent gear, a couple online “coaches” that occasionally throw their knowledge my way, and obsessive challenging and tracked practice, a guy can be right there. Mental management in matches is the last big hurdle.

Reactions: obx22
Sorry I kind of misread your post reading you weren't trusting of others and were looking to mess with people's heads with info in the future. It's definitely a good idea to know who you can and can't trust for info but don't want to intentionally mess with anyone. That was my sticking point. Sorry.

Sorry I kind of misread your post reading you weren't trusting of others and were looking to mess with people's heads with info in the future. It's definitely a good idea to know who you can and can't trust for info but don't want to intentionally mess with anyone. That was my sticking point. Sorry.
Not a problem. These stilted text convos are poor for nuance. I’ve competed at a high level in other things and really enjoyed helping folks avoid the dead ends I had to walk through. The gamesmanship is for peers when we all know it’s a wash either way the day of.

Third place $1000
188 shooters. If you shoot for "money", you assume the other 187 are there to supply your prize money. You can compete in the AG series if you like a "money" format.

Reactions: Oldloser and BurtG
Third place $1000
Now pay for the facility, targets, props, food, help, insurance, the list goes on.

Best you sit this one out.

I realize this runs contrary the spirit of PRS but we always used spotters in IHMSA. Even the best used spotters. I hated when I was asked to spot, because there are so many better than I am at the task. My good friend, Philip Braud, one of the finest handgun marksmen of all times, spotted for me at a regional and helped me tie him for the lead in our class. Alas, i had to leave a day early as I had to write education plans, so he got the overall win by default, but I doubt I could have matched him.

My point. Maybe if we really want this sport to continue to grow, we might try thinking things differently. The sink or swim approach works great for some to learn to swim, but maybe not quite so well for others. On the lighter side, after my mother spent some time unsuccessfully trying to teach me to swim, my father got somewhat pissed and threw me in the deep end. Been a good swimmer ever since. However, my cousin, who was my age, saw me run off the deep end of our grandparents boat dock and he followed suit. Fortunately they managed to save him. This parable‘s point. Sometimes, a newcomer, struggles too much, and decides that his/her time is better and more fun spent elsewhere. (Spent as in $$ is the key word)

Oh, he really was a great dad and after all these 58 years since we lost him, I still miss him.

Yeah that doesn't sound like a fun set up at all. I wonder why they did it that way? Probably moves faster but sure doesn't do anything to prove those that say the PRS is becoming an assembly line as that was exactly what that match was from the sounds of it.

I was at that match too and have shot it a couple different years. It's a unique format but it's quite efficient. There aren't "squads" per se, just a list of what stage you start on then you shoot the match sequentially. When you're done shooting at one stage you pack up and go to the next stage, usually there are 5-6 shooters ahead and you can watch and get up to speed on the course of fire. No long waits for briefing, waiting for the first shooter to get ready, etc. It leaves enough time to eat a sit down catered lunch plus still get done at a reasonable hour. Very helpful for those who have to drive 6-8 hours home, and it beats some matches where we end up shooting until 6pm due to delays.

Just got to change your perspective that you're shooting with the couple people in front of and behind you on the shooting order, and they are your "squad" rather than the official starting list.

I was at that match too and have shot it a couple different years. It's a unique format but it's quite efficient. There aren't "squads" per se, just a list of what stage you start on then you shoot the match sequentially. When you're done shooting at one stage you pack up and go to the next stage, usually there are 5-6 shooters ahead and you can watch and get up to speed on the course of fire. No long waits for briefing, waiting for the first shooter to get ready, etc. It leaves enough time to eat a sit down catered lunch plus still get done at a reasonable hour. Very helpful for those who have to drive 6-8 hours home, and it beats some matches where we end up shooting until 6pm due to delays.

Just got to change your perspective that you're shooting with the couple people in front of and behind you on the shooting order, and they are your "squad" rather than the official starting list.

Great it runs smooth but it sucks if you go to shoot with your friends and have a good weekend and end up being pushed through a match with people you don't know so it runs faster. Guess the shooter has to make the call but I wouldn't shoot that match just for that reason.

Reactions: Dot3 and Sheldon N
If you have a low stress job, no family, or other major responsibilities then you should probably have a hobby like competitive shooting to balance out your life. But if you have a high stress job, family, and lots of responsibilities, then you definitely should.

Great it runs smooth but it sucks if you go to shoot with your friends and have a good weekend and end up being pushed through a match with people you don't know so it runs faster. Guess the shooter has to make the call but I wouldn't shoot that match just for that reason.
We got lucky they had that format. Fire on day one shut range down around noon. Had to shoot 12-14 stages day 2 and waiting for a whole squad we wouldn't have gotten out of there by 7pm. Some of us had a 7-10 hour drive home that night too.

I felt the same way at first but after seeing it first hand, its really nice. You can still stay with your buddies but you just dont wait for whole squad to move together. Saves alot of time and runs smoother IMO. Guys moved in groups of 2-3, so you still get to shoot with buddies.

Reactions: superde and BurtG
If your buddies happen to be next to you in those 2-3 guys. If not then it’s on the conveyor belt for the assembly line and go shoot. Probably worked out for a match that got shut down halfway through day one due to something but I still don’t feel I would like that way of running a match. I like hanging with my squad and shooting the shit.

If your buddies happen to be next to you in those 2-3 guys. If not then it’s on the conveyor belt for the assembly line and go shoot. Probably worked out for a match that got shut down halfway through day one due to something but I still don’t feel I would like that way of running a match. I like hanging with my squad and shooting the shit.
You pick the order. They will have a string that you hang your name card on. So you get to pick your shooting order. After shooting it, I wish every match ran like that, Its REALLY speeds things up and less time sitting around.

It's already been mentioned, but the two main things that bug me the most, and what makes it hard for me to participate (let alone try to get other people into the sport) have to do with time.

The first is: it is ridiculous how difficult it can be just to even find matches... just the "when and where" of it is enough to deter a huge swath of peeps from joining the sport. I mean, I even sort of know where to look... but finding PRS-type matches gives me a headache, if you go to PRS's site right now, it's a shit show.... there's no "schedule" or "upcoming matches" tab that is curated enough for a new guy (and some not so new guys) to use where they can easily locate matches and register... There's a list, but it's full of bad links, and half the ones that work only tell one that registration is closed, not open yet, if that.

The other thing for me is: like most, I have more money than time, but I'd rather not waste too much of either... so that said, the 2-day format kind of sucks. I wish there were more 1-day matches that were worth a damn. A 2-day match is a big ask on most guys' lives, financially and time-wise. Depending on what one does for a living, I don't think I'm talking BS when I say that just asking for the commitment of that amount of time probably keeps over half of those who would otherwise be there, from being there.

The Regional Series is an alternative to the 2-day format. 1 day matches.

Reactions: Newbie2020
The Regional Series is an alternative to the 2-day format. 1 day matches.

Yeah, I'm actually going to try and shoot more of those this year if I can...

That said, I think my main point is: a 2-day match is a big ask seeing as it is really more of a ~4-day time commitment. Makes it hard for anyone other than the industry-related and/or just plain lucky MF'ers to swing.

If the match is more than ~3-4hrs drive: one has to think about adding at least 1 travel day (the Friday before the match), then grabbing a hotel (and a 2-day match means at least 2 nights instead of 1, so double the cost for that versus a 1-day), then, even if the prize-table/trophy-time shenanigans go off without a hitch and finish on-time (which is rare as far as I've seen), and one can head home the same day, there's fatigue from the match weekend combined with the drive home to contend with (which means many need to take the following Monday off depending on how demanding their job is).

Not to mention, the 2-day format (really ~4-day) is also a double-sided blade, in that not only does it cost a pretty penny to participate, but for a lot of guys, it also means missing out on a couple of days' pay.

I just don't think the 2-day format is viable long-term for anything other than bigger/championship matches or shit like that. A format that requires that much of a time commitment is doomed as far as trying to grow the sport IMHO.

*EDIT: another thing (that I don't think has been mentioned) is: most of the 2-days sell out too quick for anyone new to the sport to even attend lol! I'm pretty deep down the rabbit hole, not new, have the funds (not always the time), and I still miss the registration date or am too late on half of the matches I could possibly make it to. If the sport is going to grow then the circle has to get bigger than one that only allows the same 100-200ish dudes in a region to fill all the available spots...

Last edited:
I shot a 2 day match where I was last up in my squad on the first stage. The match format was that you shoot your stage, then walk to the next stage and kind of get in line and it's one big conga line throughout the weekend. I knew almost everyone in my squad and was looking forward to hanging out with my buddies all weekend. After the first stage, I was basically shooting by myself as my squadmates headed off to the next stage, and the squad behind me was filing in behind me waiting for their turn to shoot. I didn't know anyone in that squad, so I just kept to myself. I ended up having Jake and Morgan taking turns on deck right behind me all weekend long. No pressure, right? It did end up being my best "% of top" finish ever, but it wasn't as much fun as if I were with my buddies all weekend moving as a squad from stage to stage.
Parma I'm guessing. This is normal with those matches.

When do you think it will die? There’s been talk of the sport being doomed for years on this site.

One can also complain that a 1 day match isn’t worth the drive if it’s too far. Shoot if you can and shoot if you don’t want to. American freedom and all.
It won't and it hasn't. If anything, more people show up to 2 days than I have ever seen in the past. 2 days fill up quick where in the past you could sign up the day of or before.

Take Leupold Steel Classic in Texas next month... 200 shooters and nearly full 1+ month in advance. This was the same for WAR, Impact PRC, Hornady PRC, etc.

Yeah, I'm actually going to try and shoot more of those this year if I can...

That said, I think my main point is: a 2-day match is a big ask seeing as it is really more of a ~4-day time commitment. Makes it hard for anyone other than the industry-related and/or just plain lucky MF'ers to swing.

If the match is more than ~3-4hrs drive: one has to think about adding at least 1 travel day (the Friday before the match), then grabbing a hotel (and a 2-day match means at least 2 nights instead of 1, so double the cost for that versus a 1-day), then, even if the prize-table/trophy-time shenanigans go off without a hitch and finish on-time (which is rare as far as I've seen), and one can head home the same day, there's fatigue from the match weekend combined with the drive home to contend with (which means many need to take the following Monday off depending on how demanding their job is).

Not to mention, the 2-day format (really ~4-day) is also a double-sided blade, in that not only does it cost a pretty penny to participate, but for a lot of guys, it also means missing out on a couple of days' pay.

I just don't think the 2-day format is viable long-term for anything other than bigger/championship matches or shit like that. A format that requires that much of a time commitment is doomed as far as trying to grow the sport IMHO.

*EDIT: another thing (that I don't think has been mentioned) is: most of the 2-days sell out too quick for anyone new to the sport to even attend lol! I'm pretty deep down the rabbit hole, not new, have the funds (not always the time), and I still miss the registration date or am too late on half of the matches I could possibly make it to. If the sport is going to grow then the circle has to get bigger than one that only allows the same 100-200ish dudes in a region to fill all the available spots...
Lol. Everyone has the same opportunity to shoot. Match schedules are already out for 2023 and you can see where and when registration opens. Anyone can go and make up calendar reminders to register. The 200 people who sign up clearly make it a priority to get registered, no reason you can't do the same. There is no secret handshake to sign up for a match.

Lol. Everyone has the same opportunity to shoot. Match schedules are already out for 2023 and you can see where and when registration opens. Anyone can go and make up calendar reminders to register. The 200 people who sign up clearly make it a priority to get registered, no reason you can't do the same. There is no secret handshake to sign up for a match.

Agreed.

But, that is also a pain in the ass for most other than the most dedicated and does nothing to grow the sport or make it more accessible.

Honestly, even the usual match times are kind of dumb IMO (if one's goal is to get more shooters involved). Most matches are 0700-1500hrs, great for the local guys and those working the match, but change that to something like 0900-1700hrs and then more people (like those who live a little further away) could make it. Seems very Bubba-ish to me: "That's the way we've always done it..." lol.

Reactions: ZY100 and BurtG
IDK, I guess it depends on one's point of view. From my point of view, shooting every match the way things are would have a lot more to do with me being more selfish than more dedicated.

There will always be a faction that thinks things are just fine, things are working great, and anyone who says different is just a a whiny baby.

It just serves to remind me that I sure am lucky (and thankful) my local club has super-chill 1-day matches that are fun and challenging without any of the other nonsense.

Agreed.

But, that is also a pain in the ass for most other than the most dedicated and does nothing to grow the sport or make it more accessible.

Dude you are really reaching. 2 day matches aren't filling up that fast. There might be one or two across the country but the rest take a few weeks if not months and if the shooter is too lazy to get a schedule together then that's on them.

Dude you are really reaching. 2 day matches aren't filling up that fast. There might be one or two across the country but the rest take a few weeks if not months and if the shooter is too lazy to get a schedule together then that's on them.

Well, I'm either lucky or unlucky (depending on how you look at it) due to where I live (Nashville), as while there are lots of matches, most every match within driving distance to me fills up and is sold out within hours lol.

Well, I'm either lucky or unlucky (depending on how you look at it) due to where I live (Nashville), as while there are lots of matches, most every match within driving distance to me fills up and is sold out within hours lol.
Well then if you want to shoot you better plan on registering on time. Got time to come here and complain so must have time to set a reminder and go register. LOL

Just looked and two 2 day matches that opened about 3 weeks ago and another that opened 3 days ago in NC and VA both have 70+ spots open.

Arguing about 2 day matches for new shooters or people just starting is hilarious. They would get their shit pushed in, this is why there are 1 day matches. You can shoot ALOT of 1 day matches for the total cost of a 2 day.

It's a non factor. Frontline fury has been open for a few weeks and is not even 25% filled for a February shoot. I'll shoot it but no reason to give them a free no interest loan for 3 months.

Well then if you want to shoot you better plan on registering on time. Got time to come here and complain so must have time to set a reminder and go register. LOL

Just looked and two 2 day matches that opened about 3 weeks ago and another that opened 3 days ago in NC and VA both have 70+ spots open.

I'm not complaining so much as commenting on what I think would grow the sport.

I'll work on being better about setting reminders I guess.

I'm not complaining so much as commenting on what I think would grow the sport.

I'll work on being better about setting reminders I guess.
How does that effect growth of sport? It's not new guys shooting 2 day matches and ANYONE who wants to shoot it has the same access.

You know what grows the sport? Shooting every match you can. Which means better numbers for MDs who will then host more matches if there is the demand. Also bring new people in and mentor them and get them going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldloser
I kind of chuckle at all of the dudes talking about the sport not growing.

In 2016 there was about a dozen PRS Pro series 2 Day matches. They usually filled relatively quickly. The Regional Series, NRL and BW didn't exist. There were a relatively small number of independent one day matches out there.

Lets fast forward to 2022. 43 Pro Series two day matches, most will fill. The really good matches will fill in less than 24hrs and MDs will be forced to add slots. Countless regional series matches over the course of year some of which rival a Pro Series matches attendance numbers. The GAP Grind went from a small modestly attended match to the largest PR match out there. Some will argue that it's an assembly line and that may be the case but I've yet to hear of anyone say they didn't have fun.

Does the series have issues? Sure. Every game in it's infancy will. Is it tactical or practical (whatever either of those means), not really but that's why it appeals to people. The 14 year old kid and 60 year old retiree with bad knees, doesn't want to have to run 200yds between shooting positions, nor do most locations have the ability to accommodate that.

Thanks for the reminder. Gonna sign up for vprc. Not sure about frontline yet.

If you have a low stress job, no family, or other major responsibilities then you should probably have a hobby like competitive shooting to balance out your life. But if you have a high stress job, family, and lots of responsibilities, then you definitely should.

Its only me and only my fault with a an up and down result. No one to manage, no kids to motivate, no wife to help, no 30 minute meetings back to back from 7am to 7pm, processes to tweak, no judgement calls of others' actions to make, no leaders' calls, no Board of Directors to deal with - no thousand one one Lilliputians hanging all over me.

Just me, the rifle, the wind, the target, and fundamentals. Its cathartic.

Hell, the Monday morning exec call is all about my shooting sometimes. Really gets everyone in a good mood.

200ish shooters booking in advance shows the model is working. If you end the match at 1700, guys will have issues getting home with the long drive at night. Do you want more travel? Your previous post kinda conflict. If anything, shoot more matches or try to run your own. Internet talk is cheap.

This is one of the changes I see. Lots of MDs are pushing as much as they can into Saturday and then having the awards at noon on Sunday to de-stress the travel.

Reactions: todd and BurtG
It's already been mentioned, but the two main things that bug me the most, and what makes it hard for me to participate (let alone try to get other people into the sport) have to do with time.

The first is: it is ridiculous how difficult it can be just to even find matches... just the "when and where" of it is enough to deter a huge swath of peeps from joining the sport. I mean, I even sort of know where to look... but finding PRS-type matches gives me a headache, if you go to PRS's site right now, it's a shit show.... there's no "schedule" or "upcoming matches" tab that is curated enough for a new guy (and some not so new guys) to use where they can easily locate matches and register... There's a list, but it's full of bad links, and half the ones that work only tell one that registration is closed, not open yet, if that.

The other thing for me is: like most, I have more money than time, but I'd rather not waste too much of either... so that said, the 2-day format kind of sucks. I wish there were more 1-day matches that were worth a damn. A 2-day match is a big ask on most guys' lives, financially and time-wise. Depending on what one does for a living, I don't think I'm talking BS when I say that just asking for the commitment of that amount of time probably keeps over half of those who would otherwise be there, from being there.

This is one of the improvements we should get behind. A complete list of 1 day PRS or NRL matches that is easily searchable., Practiscore is hard to use. And NRL and PRS not far behind.

I should be able to:

1. Bring up a map on google or Apple Maps and then see all the sanctioned or "outlaw" and range-only matches in a distance and/or date range
2. Ditto good instructors and their class dates.

You do realize these are competing leagues. Why the fuck would they get together and spend money on each other. NRL doesnt have 1 day matches unless you count the semi retarded handful of hunter matches.

PRS website is very easy to use. NRL website is garbage.

"You should be able to"? Why don't you get off your lazy ass and develop a website and track all these things then maintain them. Shouldnt cost more than a few hundred bucks a year to host and maybe 10-15 hours a week to maintain. Someone else is supposed to do this because you are to lazy and or dumb to look at a couple different websites?

The arrogant, selfish mentality it takes to think like this........

Your region probably already has a public google calendar that shows all the matches (PNW does), but you would have to get off your lazy ass and go shoot and meet people to know about it.

Reactions: 308pirate
^ Must be butt buddys with 308pirate

2F0D2E78-CFC0-414C-8D1B-A8F24DF1FBF1.jpeg

Customers asking for improvements ? F u. Do it your self.

Ask who for improvements? There is no central shooting body that covers all precision shooting competitions and trainings.

How fucking dumb do you have to be to not understand this?

Demanding "someone" create something that is not needed if you have an IQ above 70 is absurd. The Irony here is you are in another thread bitching about the government when you have the same lazy entitlement mentality that someone else should provide a free service to you because you are too lazy to do it yourself. L O L

Last edited:
If you cant figure out where and when matches are I don't want you on the firing line with me anyway. Don't need another idiot NDing or shooting someone to ruin the sport for everyone.

Despite what the private said, I have found in many years of competitive shooting, its not the willingness to do the work to do change, its the refusal to allow change. Its the “its the way we always have done it, and we’re not going to change now!” Mentality

Another sad truth, sometimes, change or not, the game gets old and people move away to other challenges, other interests.