• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebarel Tikka 223 into something fun?

Old Man with Gun

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Feb 4, 2019
    I have a Tikka T3x 223 Varmint and the barrel is about shot out. Have it in a CTR stock with AICS DBM.

Want to keep the 223 bolt face and get a pre-fit barrel for it. Not sure what caliber though. This is a pure fun gun, was thinking about a 300Blk dedicated subsonic. I have plenty of .30 suppressors and a Silencerco Hybrid .46 if I want to go bigger. Any other good subsonic options staying with the 223 bolt face? 223-338, 350 legend, something else?

Help me plan a fun gun. I reload, dont mind forming wildcat brass, restrictions are:
    223 bolt face, AICS SA mag, pre-fit barrel and subsonic suppressed.
    Thanks for playing...

If you do the swap yourself, be prepared to cuss a lot. Broke a wrench getting the barrel off. I'd estimate it finally gave at close to 400ft/lbs. Had what appears to be red lock tite on it.
    72194592065__92603831-B58E-4707-9C89-E727118BA60D.jpeg

If you do the swap yourself, be prepared to cuss a lot. Broke a wrench getting the barrel off. I'd estimate it finally gave at close to 400ft/lbs. Had what appears to be red lock tite on it. View attachment 8278140
    I've heard that a lot. I have a lathe, if need I'll do a cut to relieve the tension. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for playing....
    7.62x45 and 6mm Mx don't feel like a good fit for subsonic suppressed.

With a 223 setup, and wanting subsonic suppressed, I’d say 300 blk all day. Really only needs a 9” barrel, so makes a very handy suppressed rig.
    Yea, I keep fantasizing about something in 338, but it makes no sense. Everything subsonic will have about the same trajectory, blackout is about as quiet as you can get and if I ever take it hunting the 200g Maker bullet would probably out perform any of the 338 bullets anyway. I know you are right, I have 4 blackout SBR gas guns, had a single shot for a bit also. Miss how stupid quiet blackout is with no port noise.

Reactions: Gwak2006
    Yea, I keep fantasizing about something in 338, but it makes no sense. Everything subsonic will have about the same trajectory, blackout is about as quiet as you can get and if I ever take it hunting the 200g Maker bullet would probably out perform any of the 338 bullets anyway. I know you are right, I have 4 blackout SBR gas guns, had a single shot for a bit also. Miss how stupid quiet blackout is with no port noise.
    One of these days I’ll get around the playing with a 338 (8.6 blackout). 300 blackout is the Creedmoor man bun of subsonic, but like Creedmoor, they work and work well! But something about slugging a 338 bullet is appealing. I’ve got some 500gr bullets and a hybrid .46 ready for whenever I get around to doing a threaded 45/70. That will be a fun subsonic round.

One of these days I’ll get around the playing with a 338 (8.6 blackout). 300 blackout is the Creedmoor man bun of subsonic, but like Creedmoor, they work and work well! But something about slugging a 338 bullet is appealing. I’ve got some 500gr bullets and a hybrid .46 ready for whenever I get around to doing a threaded 45/70. That will be a fun subsonic round.
    I've got a 458 Socom I suppressed, still very loud, but shooting with the break was simply unpleasant so still glad I did it. Fun to shoot a gun that pushes back, but not girly shooter giggles like 300Blk from a bolt action.

And I have thought about a "45-70 Short" Contender Barel, I think less powder capacity may do the trick.

Have you looked at 375 Raptor? Necked up 308 case.

I've got a 458 Socom I suppressed, still very loud, but shooting with the break was simply unpleasant so still glad I did it. Fun to shoot a gun that pushes back, but not girly shooter giggles like 300Blk from a bolt action.

And I have thought about a "45-70 Short" Contender Barel, I think less powder capacity may do the trick.

Have you looked at 375 Raptor? Necked up 308 case.
    I have. I think I like the idea of the 375 raptor more than the 8.6, but I think the 8.6 will prove to be around longer, brass support, etc. But who knows.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
    Heard pretty mixed reviews when suppressed, but no personal experience. I heard louder than blackout and accuracy issues. Any personal experience with it?

Not in a bolt gun but the suppressed load from Winchester was quiet in my AR man I need a can for that now lol

I like your idea of 300 BLK. It's a fun round and very quiet in a bolt gun with a fast powder like TiteGroup... but don't double or triple charge! I like the supersonic Barnes 110 for hunting as well.

Yep my 223 Tikka is one of my favorites to shoot. If you want a quiet gun get yourself a CZ457.

Reactions: Eo12
    I decided to go 300 blackout and ordered a barrel. Now just a few months wait and the fun will start!

Reactions: Eo12
    I have. I think I like the idea of the 375 raptor more than the 8.6, but I think the 8.6 will prove to be around longer, brass support, etc. But who knows.
    There is growing support for the raptor. I have heard headstamped brass is in the works and maybe even complete uppers. Some loaded ammo, too. It's pretty easy to make the brass if you have to.

Lots of people say the same thing you have, that they prefer the idea of the raptor over the 8.6. The raptor didn't get big marketing, yet it has kinda grown more popular on its own.

Regarding the tikka rebarrel, I think 300blk sounds like alot of fun. I am tempted to get 300blk bolt gun for shooting things here on the farm without spooking the beef.