• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebarrel options for a long action 270

Overflow10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2009
Rancho Murieta, CA
Hi Guys

I have been toying with the idea of rebarreling my Tikka T3 270. It is a good rifle but the first two shots are really different than the next 3-5 as the barrel seems to really heat up fast.

I like the Tikka action so I was thinking about rebarreling it but in a different caliber for both hunting/long range target. Something I could hunt deer, elk, pigs with but have a nice bullet selection for LR target etc out to 600 and even 1000yds (the 270 does not seem to be that many good LR bullets). The cartridges I was thinking about are 6.5x55, 280 Rem, and 30-06. The current mag should work with all of these.

My initial thought is the 280. I can go as low as a 120gr bullet but up to 175 for hunting. And it looks like Berger and Sierra have some match grade bullets with decent BCs.

This will be my first time rebarreling a rifle. I would like to keep the barrel length on the shorter side - say 18-22 inches. Any thoughts on caliber/twist rates, barrel length, and contour are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PS - I reload so I am not worried abut having to use factory ammo.

SG

Re: Rebarrel options for a long action 270

If you are stuck with factory mags, I think that rules out 284 as it would be too fat. I think an 280 Ackley Improved would be a great round.

Forgot to add that almost any long action cartridge would want a longish barrel to go with it.

On barrel weight, if you are carrying it up a mountain, go thin. If you are shooting long range, go fat.

The 280 or 280 Ackley would be great but I would go 24" min. and preferably 26"+.

The 30-06 will probably be the cheapest to reload for, but that may not be the highest priority for you.

If you are wanting a shorter barrel, then something like the 6.5x55 or 260 remington (almost the same cartridge as the 6.5x55) would be a better LR round, since in proportion to the bore, the barrel would longer than in a bigger bore. Although, a 22 inch 30-06 or 280 Remington are still reasonable.

But, you're the buyer and the driver.

Consider 6.5-06. 142SK at 2900ish FPS with trying hard. Run virgin Winchester brand .25-06 Rem brass through a FL die and load normally.

Down side is barrel life if you run it hot.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider 6.5-06. 142SK at 2900ish FPS with trying hard. Run virgin Winchester brand .25-06 Rem brass through a FL die and load normally.

Down side is barrel life if you run it hot.

Good luck

Jerry </div></div>

I agree, for a long range round, it's quite a performer. At 22" long the performance will suffer and it's going to be somewhat of a fire-breather.

I have a friend with a 27.5" barreled rifle that slings 140 Bergers at 3050fps with a soft load, he's still doing load testing to see just how fast they will run, but the drop data at 350y is indicating that our initial goal of 3200 fps is easily reached.

I had a 1000 yard benchrest rifle chambered in 6.5-06 about 10 years ago, it had a 30" tube on it, I shot berger 140's and 142 smk's at around 3100, I could push them 3250, but wasn't really gaining much, just burning the barrel up. I was using reloader 25, I don't remember how much though. It was a good shooting rifle, I took it out west and shot prarie dogs with it. I think the best I did at a match was probably a 6 or 7 inch group at a 1000. I especially liked the fact, I could use easily attainable components. I used wilson 25-06 inline dies w/ neck bushings and never had any problems.

.30-'06/.280 Rem, each has its appeal. 26" and heavier than sporter barrel profile.

Thanks for the replies. Thoughts so far:

- the 280 certainly feels right at this point
- talked with guys at Bartlien today and they thought 24" was the shortest to go with 1:9 twist and could still use 180gr.
- hmmm. Had not even thought about 6.5-06. My only qualm is that using 6.5 for hogs is small (have always thought 270 is about as small as I want to go).
- looked around factory offerings and saw a number of 30-06 in 20 & 22"offerings.
- I have a 700 R5 in 308. The weight as it came stock is about as heavy as I want to hunt with (it has a AICS on it now which I would not want to lug around). I measured the barrel near the muzzle and it measures about 0.830 in which seems somewhat like a varmint/sendero contour?
- but even though the 280 WIN at 24" is feeling right although a 22" 30-06 might be a nice handy rig too. What twist would be good with a 22" 30-06??

I'd be surprised that a hog would stand up to a 160gr RN from a 6.5-06

I wouldn't advocate shooting them with a soft skinned SMK or Berger, but a good bonded core RN from Hornady in 160gr would probably pass through the thing if you wanted it to.

1000yard- Do you have any of your RL25 data written down somewhere? I'm sure my friend with the 6.5-06 would like to pick your brain on it.

I built a 280AI on a whim, momma got me a 7mm barrel for X-mas and thats what I went with. Turns out to be a great little round.

The downside is the initial investment on dies and brass. I think the dies were like $70 for normal redding dies, and the brass seemed expensive also for the nosler brass. I am sure it could be done cheaper but I have got a preference for redding over rcbs on dies anymore.

i would go with a 24"+ 280 or 280AI if it will feed through the mag the 9 twist is perfect and run the 175gr Sierra MatchKings for everything get the barrel in a fluted varmint profile to cut the weight down and fit a break you will have an awsome rifle out to a mile then. the 30-06 would work at 22" and a 10 twist but the 280 blows it away with balistics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would go with a 24"+ 280 or 280AI if it will feed through the mag the 9 twist is perfect and run the 175gr Sierra MatchKings for everything get the barrel in a fluted varmint profile to cut the weight down and fit a break you will have an awsome rifle out to a mile then. the 30-06 would work at 22" and a 10 twist but the 280 blows it away with balistics.

</div></div>

Mine is feeding fine out of the mag, thought about upgrading to a badger system on it.

A HDY 6.5mm 140SST would do a hog in a .260, in a 6.5-'06, all the more. The 6.5-'06 has a loyal following, but it doesn't include me. For that case capacity I like a larger bore, and would not go smaller than 7mm (the .280 Rem).

My .30-'06 bolt gun is an M70 with a 22" 1:10" sporter weight factory barrel. All-up weight under 8lb. Don't sell sporter barrels short, this rifle took 4th in the 1997 NJ State Sniper Championships using Fed FGMM 168gr loads.

Greg

What about the sweede 6.5x55 has long history hunting across the pond and you can get some good lapua brass.

Dustin