• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebarrel Rem 700 .243 to .308 WIN-Worth it?

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Mountainside
    So I have a Remington 700 VLS chambered in .243 that I bought new in the mid 1990s. At the time, the .243 was all the rage. Believe it or not, the gun is still new and unfired. A couple of years ago I planned to finally shoot the rifle and added a Timney trigger and scope. But with the ammo scarcity and other guns to shoot, I just put it back in the safe and left it there. On to my question:

I understand it can be rebarreled to .308 WIN with just a barrel swap. Is this correct? I would probably go with a 20" barrel with threaded muzzle in the same "heavy varmint" contour it currently sports. The only reason I'm even considering it instead of just selling the rifle is because the quality of the wood stock and jeweled bolt is excellent. Super smooth action; I haven't seen anything from Remington in the last 20 years that is even remotely the same quality. I would definitely have a gunsmith do the work. From what I've researched, it seems barrel plus labor install is going to run around $600-$800 or so. So do you guys think it is worth it?
    P8092302.JPG

Attachments

• P8092309.JPG
      P8092309.JPG
      426 KB · Views: 79
    Last edited:
    Why do you want a 308 instead of 243?
    Because I have a ton of .308 factory ammo, including FGMM at hand. I don't reload, and I've never seen .243 match ammo readily available. It's mostly hunting ammo that I've seen.

Get a Remage barrel, There a several sources.
    And there are others. I have personally used these 3 and all are great to do business with.
    I have seen x-Caliber have a sale several times a year, but you will be waiting a good while.
    Anthony at CrownRidge Barrel Works has barrels in stock that he can chamber to order.
    Northland has barrels in stock also.
    The Remage is easier to install as it uses the locknut like a Savage. You will need to clearance the wood slightly for the new nut. Basically, Remove oid barrel, screw the new barrel on and set with a headspace gauge. Tighten the nut and your good to go. Any gunsmith should do it pretty reasonably

Edit: never mind, I see answers above.

What do you want to do with it, that you cannot do now?

243 is a good round and better than 308 for some things. Ammo is available and easy to reload for.

There are a bunch of other conversions you could also do like 6.5 creedmoor, 6mm creedmoor, 22-250, etc. Many consider 308 a dated design as well.

Why do you want to switch to 308?

Reactions: HaydenLane
    Because I have a ton of .308 factory ammo, including FGMM at hand. I don't reload, and I've never seen .243 match ammo readily available. It's mostly hunting ammo that I've seen.

Fair enough. If you love the stock and the action feels good, go for it. You’ll probably be money ahead selling it and building or buying exactly what you want, but there’s nothing wrong with a factory 700 that functions well.

That said, you could probably have Unknown Munitions make you some match .243 if you can’t find “hunting” ammo that it likes. If something shoots well consistently, just ignore what the box says.

Reactions: Arc Light
    Being worth it, depends on what you want. If all you want is a basic .308, then you may be better off buying a new, or nice used .308 rifle. If you want to start a semi-custom .308 build with your .243 action and stock, then go for it. Just realize it gets expensive, very quickly.

Reactions: DMP and Arc Light
    Thanks guys for the responses so far.

I've thought many times of just selling the rifle. There aren't too many listed for sale, especially new/unfired. Most of my shooting is 600-800 yards max. I figure the .308 can do that easily. I figured for let's say $1K, I can have a nice rifle with a quality barrel which I can build upon. For the same $1K I don't think I can get anything more than a basic, factory rifle from say Ruger, Savage, Howa, etc.

I've had both the 243 win and still have a PSS in 308 win. Both are great cartridges. I'd say since you have a bunch of 308 ammo Honestly I'd pull the barrel and save it. And then have a 308 win barrel installed but don't have the rifle blue printed. That way if you wanted to shoot a 243 for varmint hunting you could just unscrew the 308 win barrel and screw on the 243 win. You'd need an internal action wrench, barrel vice, and headspace gauges. If you don't want to hassle with all that or aren't into hunting then just sell the rifle and get a 308 win.

That “nice” wood stock probably isn’t going to lend itself to great accuracy so you’ll replace it and then you’ll also figure out the trigger is less than desirable and replace it also.

Some Remington collector will pay a premium for the rifle you have as it sits.

So…I’d sell the “new” rifle and start over with a Mack brothers action, trigger and stock/chassis of your choice and you’ll have less money in it and a better performing rig.

Last edited:
    Thanks guys for the responses so far.

I've thought many times of just selling the rifle. There aren't too many listed for sale, especially new/unfired. Most of my shooting is 600-800 yards max. I figure the .308 can do that easily. I figured for let's say $1K, I can have a nice rifle with a quality barrel which I can build upon. For the same $1K I don't think I can get anything more than a basic, factory rifle from say Ruger, Savage, Howa, etc.
    I think there's something to be said for keeping a classig r700 in original condition as a collectors item. But just know for around $1K you can get into a Tikka CTR and Bergara also makes some nice rifles at reasonable pricepoints, if you want to swap out the r700 for some entirely different setup. The only real negative IMHO of .243 is the volume of shooting you can do before replacing the barrel.

Get a Remage barrel, There a several sources.
    And there are others. I have personally used these 3 and all are great to do business with.
    I have seen x-Caliber have a sale several times a year, but you will be waiting a good while.
    Anthony at CrownRidge Barrel Works has barrels in stock that he can chamber to order.
    Northland has barrels in stock also.
    The Remage is easier to install as it uses the locknut like a Savage. You will need to clearance the wood slightly for the new nut. Basically, Remove oid barrel, screw the new barrel on and set with a headspace gauge. Tighten the nut and your good to go. Any gunsmith should do it pretty reasonably
    Appreciate the info.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any advantage to using a Remage prefit barrel if I am having a gunsmith do the work? I understand it makes swapping barrels much easier, but I doubt I would ever be doing that preferring to have a smith do the work.

Call Northland shooters supply. James can answer all your questions and supply the barrel, parts, and tools you might need. Their criterion barrels have always shot well for me

Appreciate the info.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any advantage to using a Remage prefit barrel if I am having a gunsmith do the work? I understand it makes swapping barrels much easier, but I doubt I would ever be doing that preferring to have a smith do the work.
    If you carry a AAA roadside emergency card...... Why would you want a car with a spare tire ?

Appreciate the info.

Check on youtube, there are videos on remage or savage barrel swaps. The advantage is you can swap barrels at home. If you are going to have a gunsmith install a barrel then you wouldn't want to go the remage route.

I think there's something to be said for keeping a classig r700 in original condition as a collectors item. But just know for around $1K you can get into a Tikka CTR and Bergara also makes some nice rifles at reasonable pricepoints, if you want to swap out the r700 for some entirely different setup. The only real negative IMHO of .243 is the volume of shooting you can do before replacing the barrel.
    Also a 20 year old Remington isn't going to be twisted fast enough to shoot 100g+ bullets.

Keep it as is or sell it.

I say sell and with the $ and your other funds you can have a dang nice rifle in .308.

I would be more likely to do a .308 over a barrel burner 6mm if I didnt reload too.

A good accurate .308 that you shoot a good bit and know is better than a .243 that sits unfired IMO.

A barrel nut would likely necessitate some changes to the nice wood stock.
    A shouldered barrel from my smith runs around $800, blank and work all done

Keep the barrel. Have a real gunsmith remove it. Remmage, shoot your inventory and still have a 9.25 twist 243.
    That's what I would do, but it's really up to what the OP wants. If he doesn't want or need a 243 Win then he's in a good position to sell a NIB rifle and get something like a Tikka CTR. He should probably got to the local gun store and see if they have some Tikka's he can handle. I'll say this, one advantage with the 308 Win is barrel life. Don't let the barrel get too hot and you can get a lot of rounds down the tube.

A mid 90s remington trigger should have sear and over travel adjustment screws. You should be able to bring it down to a crisp, clean, and SAFE 2-3 lb pull. Not the 8-14oz pull that is the rage in PRS. But, a god ‘field’ weight.

The OP likes his rifle and likely has a very good one. These were nice. The barrel would let him keep a nice rifle, shoot his ammo, and have options later. Wish I had kept mine.
    I get it since I have two Remington 700's. One is a first gen PSS and another that is an early 80's vintage. The PSS shoots great with probably 10k rounds through it. But it's exterior action dimensions are off as are the mounting screw holes. The 80's vintage short action is pretty good. So really the OP is in a good position with many options. Ultimately it's his choice and either way he'd be sitting pretty good.

I did the opposite. Changed out a 308 to a 6.5 CM. Yes I reload, but there is more 6.5 match ammo around than 308

You can probably find a new take-off as well, since all the man-buns hate 308. Many, if not most, stock 700 barrels in 308 shoot 1/2" or better, and they have a deep throat to be able to seat out and run like the BR guys. 75 bucks or so would be a good deal.

I'll add some - stock 700 5R, dialing in a load - not off the hood of my car though!

IMG_20201125_141052.jpgIMG_20201125_141042.jpgIMG_20201125_124544.jpg

Reactions: xsn10s
    A mid 90s remington trigger should have sear and over travel adjustment screws. You should be able to bring it down to a crisp, clean, and SAFE 2-3 lb pull. Not the 8-14oz pull that is the rage in PRS. But, a god ‘field’ weight.
    Forgot to mention that I installed a Timney trigger in the rifle a couple of years ago. I remember the original trigger being heavy as hell, the Timney breaks at about 1.5 lbs if I remember correctly. I thought I would finally shoot the thing, but never did.

Forgot to mention that I installed a Timney trigger in the rifle a couple of years ago. I remember the original trigger being heavy as hell, the Timney breaks at about 1.5 lbs if I remember correctly. I thought I would finally shoot the thing, but never did.
    I hope you kept the original trigger.

Appreciate the info.

If this is the only rifle you own that you plan on re-barrelling then get a gunsmith to do it for you.
    If you are handy with tools and know a bit about it and plan to build some more rifles it can be done pretty inexpensively.
    Personally I have found it to be a rabbit hole...It runs deep !

Do you already have a 308 rifle? You mention you already have ammo.

Honestly, I'd rather have it in 243 - especially if you already have a rifle in 308

It's a beauty of a rifle as it sits with that stock... if you really don't want 243, then sure, you could re-barrel. But for the money, you could probably sell it and pick up a nicely sorted semi custom used for the money you'll make and the extra you would give to a smith to rebarrel.

The OP likes his rifle and likely has a very good one. These were nice. The barrel would let him keep a nice rifle, shoot his ammo, and have options later. Wish I had kept mine.
    I would, too. A good gunsmith won't cost quite what the OP thinks -- I'd think for $600-800 you could get a fair barrel and action truing done as well. Maybe bedding, depending on how busy he is as hunting season's coming up.

Do you already have a 308 rifle? You mention you already have ammo.

Honestly, I'd rather have it in 243 - especially if you already have a rifle in 308

It's a beauty of a rifle as it sits with that stock... if you really don't want 243, then sure, you could re-barrel. But for the money, you could probably sell it and pick up a nicely sorted semi custom used for the money you'll make and the extra you would give to a smith to rebarrel.
    Yes I do, a Tikka M595 and a Winchester M70 both in .308. Plus a few AR10's also. I just like the caliber.

Maybe I will just leave it as is. Don't think I'll sell it after it's been with me 25 years at this point. I just wish there were more ammo selection, especially match ammo. There never has been, even back in the 90's it was all labled as "hunting ammo". Wish I did reload, but I don't.

take ur $800 and buy some reloading gear. 243 win components have been available for the most part.
    I've had really good luck with federal fusion hunting ammo, try it out.

Yes I do, a Tikka M595 and a Winchester M70 both in .308. Plus a few AR10's also. I just like the caliber.

Maybe I will just leave it as is. Don't think I'll sell it after it's been with me 25 years at this point. I just wish there were more ammo selection, especially match ammo. There never has been, even back in the 90's it was all labled as "hunting ammo". Wish I did reload, but I don't.
    Reloading isn't hard to learn. Plenty of good videos. Get a single stage press, dies, scale, and powder dropper and have at it. Run a ballistics computer with the 87 vmax and 95 Berger Classic Hunter going around 3100 fps. You'll be good to 800 yards.

You could have a 700 in 308 as well.

You've had it 25 years and haven't shot it. If it was a 308, would you? :)

Kinda late to start hand loading. Don't know if you'll find the 243 loads you want, or that will do the rifle justice.

You could have a 700 in 308 as well.

You've had it 25 years and haven't shot it. If it was a 308, would you? :)

Kinda late to start hand loading. Don't know if you'll find the 243 loads you want, or that will do the rifle justice.

Never too late to start handloading.

Grab some 95s and go.

That is the perfect rifle to accurize. Good action, lots of potential, great stock known for their ability to take a good solid bedding. Trigger possibilities are endless. Fact is you can make the stock trigger into a good one, quality gunsmith required. Accuracy is what we’re talking about here not different caliber/cartridges. You can end up with a lot of choices. 308 can be good. So can your 243. The 6 mm offers more than most calibers your considering. But the real story here is that you want a GOOD barrel installed on your rifle. Done right this will make your rifle more accurate regardless of cartridge you choose. Make sure you use a quality gunsmith. Not ,A GUY YOU KNOW OR A GUY SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS. Done right, true action, bed rifle correctly. Those items will make the finished product shoot 1/4” 5 shot groups at a hundred. As long as you are capable. Don’t do anything until you can afford the 3 things I just mention. Good barrel, true action completely and bed accordingly. You can also set it up as a switch barrel. This cost almost nothing extra from what I’ve already suggested. Then you can just screw on and off any barrel that fits the bolt face. And changing barrels is a easy as you can imagine. No measuring just screw on a barrel. Easy. Definitely explore the multitude of calibers available to you. There are many and you don’t want to limit yourself to just one. Your about to have a great and accurate rifle. Enjoy it.

barrels. There are many but ask and get their best. All Kriegers, Shilen select match, all Hart barrels, brut, Bartlien, Lilja, PacNor Super Match( these barrels have a reputation for being easier to clean due to their super lapping, Benchmark and others. Just make sure you get the right good barrel. They aren’t all made the same.

Last edited:
    So I have a Remington 700 VLS chambered in .243 that I bought new in the mid 1990s. At the time, the .243 was all the rage. Believe it or not, the gun is still new and unfired. A couple of years ago I planned to finally shoot the rifle and added a Timney trigger and scope. But with the ammo scarcity and other guns to shoot, I just put it back in the safe and left it there. On to my question:

I understand it can be rebarreled to .308 WIN with just a barrel swap. Is this correct? I would probably go with a 20" barrel with threaded muzzle in the same "heavy varmint" contour it currently sports. The only reason I'm even considering it instead of just selling the rifle is because the quality of the wood stock and jeweled bolt is excellent. Super smooth action; I haven't seen anything from Remington in the last 20 years that is even remotely the same quality. I would definitely have a gunsmith do the work. From what I've researched, it seems barrel plus labor install is going to run around $600-$800 or so. So do you guys think it is worth it?
    20 years ago I had my first custom rifle built. It was a Remington Model 7 action in .22-250, and once the barrel was shot-out, I rebarreled to .308 WIn. Best thing I ever did for that rifle. I would say go for it. 👍🏼

Or, if you reload and want something different, a 1:7 twist .25 Creedmoor, or 1:8 twist 7mm Creedmoor would be some cool options.

There are lots of options and folks to rebarrel it for you and many if not most will do a good job. But, with an unfired rifle, if money is not that tight, sell it and build exactly what you want. Who knows what it will actually bring, but the rifle you custom build will be a rifle your gonna love.

I understand it can be rebarreled to .308 WIN with just a barrel swap. Is this correct? I would probably go with a 20" barrel with threaded muzzle in the same "heavy varmint" contour it currently sports. The only reason I'm even considering it instead of just selling the rifle is because the quality of the wood stock and jeweled bolt is excellent. Super smooth action; I haven't seen anything from Remington in the last 20 years that is even remotely the same quality. I would definitely have a gunsmith do the work. From what I've researched, it seems barrel plus labor install is going to run around $600-$800 or so. So do you guys think it is worth it?View attachment 7930050

You have plenty of options, keep what you have put it back in the safe, or sell it, you can buy a new rifle in the caliber you want
    and its intended purpose " Hunting, long-range, Etc, Etc " only you know !!

You can re-barrel what you have be it with a REM-AGE yourself or a gunsmith-installed barrel, it's going to cost you, by the looks
    of your rifle's " condition " there are plenty out there that will buy it from you for big bucks, and then go shopping for a new rifle.

I understand it can be rebarreled to .308 WIN with just a barrel swap. Is this correct? I would probably go with a 20" barrel with threaded muzzle in the same "heavy varmint" contour it currently sports. The only reason I'm even considering it instead of just selling the rifle is because the quality of the wood stock and jeweled bolt is excellent. Super smooth action; I haven't seen anything from Remington in the last 20 years that is even remotely the same quality. I would definitely have a gunsmith do the work. From what I've researched, it seems barrel plus labor install is going to run around $600-$800 or so. So do you guys think it is worth it?View attachment 7930050
    I would keep the rifle as you have it and sell the 308 ammunition to purchase243 ammunition or a RCBS starter press for it. you already have a nice rifle.

Post it on a local sales forum and see what bites first. It's a nice factory rifle as is. I'd consider keeping it as is and letting someone else get a chance at it in its current form.

Once you start shooting it, you're going to swap out parts until you end up with nothing but the action and then buy a custom action.