• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebarrel Vudoo?

hacabrera071

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2019
McAllen, TX
Guys, any experience replacing the barrel in Vudoos? My use case is mainly PRS and ELR up to about 400 yds. While my Vudoo (20” MTU Gen 2) shoots good with a tuner (using Center-X, lot tested serval lots, picked the best one from the bunch), I’m wondering if changing the barrel may bring in extra gains.

Any experience changing the barrel? What did you chose (barrel wise) that made your Vudoo shoot better? 22”? 24” barrel? Any chamber specs?

I’m all about precision, and if I have to pay to play I’m ok with that, I’m now a proponent of the buy once cry once mentality 😂

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Hegre
I shoot my 18" past 500 yards and matches to 400 or so without issue and accurately. I think you are chasing your tail and wasting money changing the barrel. The barrels that come on them are excellent and it will take a lot of rounds before it's shot out. I would focus more on shooting than changing the barrel.

I shoot my 18" past 500 yards and matches to 400 or so without issue and accurately. I think you are chasing your tail and wasting money changing the barrel. The barrels that come on them are excellent and it will take a lot of rounds before it's shot out. I would focus more on shooting than changing the barrel.
I very well may be @Rob01 lol, I tend to go after data and I’m always looking for an edge on hardware… always trying to improve the arrow 😂 it may be time to find a place where I can train more instead of spending more on hardware.

Cheers!

-Eddie

LOL You have a Vudoo. That's your edge ;) Yup spend that money you would have spent on rebarreling on some ammo and go shoot. That will help a lot. I can always tell when I haven't shot enough and it's not a rifle issue. LOL

Guys, any experience replacing the barrel in Vudoos? My use case is mainly PRS and ELR up to about 400 yds. While my Vudoo (20” MTU Gen 2) shoots good with a tuner (using Center-X, lot tested serval lots, picked the best one from the bunch), I’m wondering if changing the barrel may bring in extra gains.

Any experience changing the barrel? What did you chose (barrel wise) that made your Vudoo shoot better? 22”? 24” barrel? Any chamber specs?

I’m all about precision, and if I have to pay to play I’m ok with that, I’m now a proponent of the buy once cry once mentality 😂

Thanks in advance!

If you really care about tiny groups at 400y, then maybe talk to MB about getting a 1:9/1:12 done for you.

I am currently having mine rebarrelled right now with DI Precision. I am gonna keep my 20” Kukri but I mainly wanted a barrel and rifle weight that matched my PRS rifle more closely. I am getting a 24” Mullerworks MTU profile and its going to Lapua for testing before I get it back. I went back with the 1:16 twist.

I am currently having mine rebarrelled right now with DI Precision. I am gonna keep my 20” Kukri but I mainly wanted a barrel and rifle weight that matched my PRS rifle more closely. I am getting a 24” Mullerworks MTU profile and its going to Lapua for testing before I get it back. I went back with the 1:16 twist.
DI rebarreled my 1:9 for me after I got tired of trying to magically make it shoot. They did a great job.

Reactions: DI Precision
LOL You have a Vudoo. That's your edge ;) Yup spend that money you would have spent on rebarreling on some ammo and go shoot. That will help a lot. I can always tell when I haven't shot enough and it's not a rifle issue. LOL
👆🏻This…
At long range nothing will net more benefits than experience.

I have heard good things abt them. I would have sent it to Vudoo if they could have done the same barrel.

I have heard good things abt them. I would have sent it to Vudoo if they could have done the same barrel.
I don’t know why Vudoo doesn’t offer heavier barrels. I sent Vudoo my 1:9 barrel for them to chamber so it is an option to have them chamber something other than what they offer. DI’s turn around time was much faster

I don’t know why Vudoo doesn’t offer heavier barrels. I sent Vudoo my 1:9 barrel for them to chamber so it is an option to have them chamber something other than what they offer. DI’s turn around time was much faster
Derek told me 3-4 weeks and probably another week or so for Lapua to lot test. I’m pretty excited to get it back.

Reactions: CBeck
I had a 1:9 spun up last year. I wouldn’t recommend it lol
What didn't you like about the 1:9 ?

I've considered building a 10/22 with that twist.

My vudoo shoots too good to mess with.

It’s hard to argue with what vudoo offers. I have right around 15,500-16,000 rounds through mine now and it’s just hammering!!

That said I have a new one on the way with an IBI 1:12 twist 22” to try. Should be ready shortly, and I have a 1:10 twist ks arms barrel I’m going try on either one of the vudoo’s or a deuce

What didn't you like about the 1:9 ?

I've considered building a 10/22 with that twist.

My vudoo shoots too good to mess with.
In short when I sent it to the lapua test center they recommended I contact Vudoo based on how bad it shot. I bought some ammo anyway and my real word groups were better than theirs but it was just consistently inconsistent. It would seem like it was going to shoot then throw a shot or two way out. Shooting it side by side at 100 with my 1:16 was no comparison and finally when I gave up on it. I put thousands of rounds through it trying to convince myself it was going to shoot but it never did.

In short when I sent it to the lapua test center they recommended I contact Vudoo based on how bad it shot. I bought some ammo anyway and my real word groups were better than theirs but it was just consistently inconsistent. It would seem like it was going to shoot then throw a shot or two way out. Shooting it side by side at 100 with my 1:16 was no comparison and finally when I gave up on it. I put thousands of rounds through it trying to convince myself it was going to shoot but it never did.
Interesting. I thought I had read on here somewhere that the head honcho from vudoo had said the 1:9 was showing real promise at the longer distances.

I guess I'm going to have to do some more research on twist rates before I commit to a barrel for my 10/22.

Interesting. I thought I had read on here somewhere that the head honcho from vudoo had said the 1:9 was showing real promise at the longer distances.

I guess I'm going to have to do some more research on twist rates before I commit to a barrel for my 10/22.
You did read that on another thread here, but there’s a lot more going on there that isn’t being publicized. I talked to VGW about it months back, and they basically said that the fast-twist barrels could outperform standard 1:16 barrels if everything went just right, but a) they were highly picky with ammo, and b) didn’t like muzzle threads. I didn’t get much info on item (b), but with ammo availability still being a pain and my desire to run a can, it immediately killed my interest in it. I didn’t talk to @RAVAGE88 directly, but I figure if he had the secret sauce recipe dialed we’d be hearing about it haha

If they ever get it figured out and can run broad ranges of ammo types and suppressors, they’ll change the rimfire world (again). Until then, I’ll take them at their word when they recommend 1:16” as their preferred option.

Reactions: XP1K
You did read that on another thread here, but there’s a lot more going on there that isn’t being publicized. I talked to VGW about it months back, and they basically said that the fast-twist barrels could outperform standard 1:16 barrels if everything went just right, but a) they were highly picky with ammo, and b) didn’t like muzzle threads. I didn’t get much info on item (b), but with ammo availability still being a pain and my desire to run a can, it immediately killed my interest in it. I didn’t talk to @RAVAGE88 directly, but I figure if he had the secret sauce recipe dialed we’d be hearing about it haha

If they ever get it figured out and can run broad ranges of ammo types and suppressors, they’ll change the rimfire world (again). Until then, I’ll take them at their word when they recommend 1:16” as their preferred option.
Crazy how threading the muzzle would have that much effect on it. I was wanting to build a 10/22 with the 1:9 to shoot the 60gr aguilla subs.

I know lilja offers 9,12 and 16 twist barrels. I may try to get in touch with lilja and see what he has to say on it.

Funny thing, when I ordered my vudoo I inquired as to why they didn't offer lilja barrels. I was told they didn't meet VGW's requirements for accuracy. I kind of had to laugh at that one. Ended up going with the ace and I have no complaints.

Crazy how threading the muzzle would have that much effect on it. I was wanting to build a 10/22 with the 1:9 to shoot the 60gr aguilla subs.

I know lilja offers 9,12 and 16 twist barrels. I may try to get in touch with lilja and see what he has to say on it.

Funny thing, when I ordered my vudoo I inquired as to why they didn't offer lilja barrels. I was told they didn't meet VGW's requirements for accuracy. I kind of had to laugh at that one. Ended up going with the ace and I have no complaints.
You will find Lilja barrels on a lot of very top level rifles. But from my limit exposure to them they are either very good or not impressive at all. I have had a few duds from Lilja. That doesn’t mean they were shotgun pattern but they just never were capable of the highest level of accuracy. Maybe this was VGWs findings as well…

Ahh, I didn’t realize you were thinking about the 60gr rounds. A 1:9 makes more sense for that, and accuracy expectations from that cartridge should be pretty low anyway haha

I read all the same hype but my experience was not the same. It was a 360 with a 1:9 24” non threaded Bartlein chambered by Vudoo shooting lot tested lapua so I gave it an honest try.

Reactions: XP1K
Ahh, I didn’t realize you were thinking about the 60gr rounds. A 1:9 makes more sense for that, and accuracy expectations from that cartridge should be pretty low anyway haha
Lol yeah I remember the first time I ever shot them, probably 20 years ago, I shot them out of a plain Jane 22. They were hitting sideways at 30 yards. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: KnowNothing256

This is a general response and not directed specifically at the quoted post above or the author of the quoted post above.

Just to inject a bit of perspective based on my years spent working on the fast twist project as there's so much more to it than what has been speculated by many. In actuality, the nine twist barrels (in particular) are not highly picky with ammo and muzzle threads affect every barrel, not just nine twist barrels.

Simply stated, when it comes to building a nine twist 22LR that performs the way it should, the approach has to be far different. This approach has to be based on a willingness to invest actual effort into understanding the goals, but instead, many are confused about what the goals are and want to stick with the same approach as with the 16 twist barrels.

Muzzle threads, suppressors, shorter barrels, not understanding proper barrel prep and on and on. Bottom line is, a higher degree of performance requires a higher adherence to very specific details, but I get it, familiar is comfortable. In addition, data points have to be different and when one sees something that doesn't agree with what they've always thought, then it HAS to be, "well, it's not working the way the 16 twist always has, so it has to be because it's a nine twist, and therefore, the nine twist won't work." This mentality is a failure to recognize an opportunity to expand one's knowledge base and we end up with, "it's highly ammo picky and it doesn't like muzzle threads." Meanwhile, I have many nine twist rifles I built in the lab that perform far outside the dabbling of effort from others based on the familiar approach. These rifles have spent a few years in the hands of third party testers and have fired 10's of thousands of rounds of ammo and generated pages upon pages of data.

So, with all this, I'm asked to share this data and when taking people through the details what I get is, "you don't have to do all that, just do it this way!" I hear that because for them, familiar is easy, familiar takes less or no additional effort, familiar is cheaper and after adhering to familiar, they quickly find themselves in a place to say, "the nine twist barrels don't work because they're ammo picky and you can't do muzzle threads." So, now, where I find myself with it is, when people are ready to listen, I'll talk....

Hope this helps....

MB

Last edited: