• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rebarreling Question

Runamuk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Southern IN
I was a bit torn on where to post this but I figured by posting it here maybe some of the Barrel manufacturers (Mr. Green) and gunsmiths were more likely to see it and weigh in.

I’m rebarreling one of my AE’s to from 308 to 7-08, I shoot suppressed most of the time and I’m wondering if this is something I should consider when selecting a proper contour? My other AE has a Bartlein in .260 finished at 26” and I believe it’s a Heavy Varmint, I ordered it from Mile-high as a .260 so I didn’t have much choice in selecting a contour. This barrel shoots great suppressed or unsuppressed but it’s a bit on the heavy side for my liking when paired up with the already heavy AI stock so I’m looking to cut the weight down, but not so much that it limits me or the rifle in anyway.
Currently I’m leaning toward a much lighter #13 Bartlein Rem. Varmint/Sendero contour 1 in 8.4, finished out at 26” and trying out the 162gr A-Max or the 168 Matchkings. Anyone see a downside to this contour when shooting suppressed or relatively long strings of fire? My cans are titanium so they don’t add much weight, I’m not even sure if this is a concern but thought I’d ask prior to making the purchase in the hopes someone has some first hand experience to offer.

/r

No not really but as a suggestion that I would make is run the straight portion on the breech end in front of the receiver longer. Say add another +2" to the straight section before threading etc...So you will have approx. 3" out in front of the receiver and I would make the muzzle .900 instead of the .830 muzzle. Your still cutting weight off of the straight taper barrel you have now on the .260.

Give me the dimensions off of your straight taper barrel.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Mr. Green

Measured from the front of the recoil lug total length is 24.5", at 23.5" outside OD measures .954 (barrel is painted), I measured at 23.5 due to the barrel being threaded and capped so this measurement is just behind the cap. Also at the lug it's 1.257 again painted so 1.250.
If I unserstand your post correctly this is very close to the contour you recommend? If so I'm not displeased in anyway with this profile other than being a bit heavy, the barrel has been a hammer since I first took it out of the box while shootiing 142gr matchkings at 2870 for over 2300 rounds and still going strong. I'm also a bit embarrassed not knowing the length is 24.5 from the front of the lug, all this time I had just gone with the 26" number based on my ordering. Which now has me wondering where exactly to measure from, is it a 26" barrel or a 24.5" barrel?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated

/r
Don