• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rebate on 700 SPS Varmint - first gun...

BlindRacer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
I've been lurking for over a year, and am finally preparing to buy my first rifle.

From all the information acquired here, I've decided on a Remington 700, with a 24-26" heavy barrel, in .308. The SPS Varmint looks to fit the bill.

I know the stock is crap, but other than that, would this make for a good base rifle to start my build from? I plan on changing the stock, so I'm not concerned about that part of the rifle.

The reason why I'm looking deeper at this particular gun, is that Remington has a $75 rebate on it for the Spring, so it looks like I can get it for $499 + tax/dros/etc.

If this is a good rifle to start my build with, is there anything I should be concerned about with it?

I think my only concern so far, is the finish. I've read that the black oxide finish isn't very durable...is this true?

Anyways, thanks for help with this. I know my questions are pretty basic, so I hope they haven't been asked a thousand times.

Re: Rebate on 700 SPS Varmint - first gun...

it worked as a base for my first build, you will notice the finish will wear kindda wuick in stress areas but nothing that a green T finish or carakote would take care of if you really are that concerned about it. and besides the stock being switched out i would get rid of that Death Mark Pro(X-Mark Pro) trigger. It didnt tickle my fancy so much as a Jewell did. Timineys are great too. Right out of the box though i was very impressed at how well it did shoot so i would say go for it essecially with that rebate action and trigger along new cost 350 from Brownells

it would be a very good base to start from, and the finish isn't bad, guns get used and they will show wear.

I've got one of them, the finish isn't very bad as far as looks but I am not a big fan of its durability (rust prevention, etc).

So, as far as rust goes, that's something to watch out for? I want this thing to last as long as possible. What exactly is the black oxide finish? Is it just hot bluing or something?

Don't get me started on what it is, I don't know. That isn't my specialty.

I live in Texas. It is very, (VERY!!) humid where I am from. I cleaned my rifle up, took it to the range and within a day or two of that I pulled it out to clean it, and had a considerable ammount of rust on various parts of the rifle. Now, guns getting light surface rust on them is nothing new, especially around here, but it just happend so fast. There was also considerably more rust than I have EVER had on any of my rifles (even the "beaters" that I carry hunting and forget about for weeks at a time).

If it were to get some surface rust, is it something that can be cleaned and maybe duracoated or something? I'm in southern California, and it doesn't get overly humid here. Especially were I shoot in the desert.

Basically, as long as I keep the rust away, I'm not going to regret getting this? I just don't want to make the wrong decision on the base rifle before I start the rest of the build.

Ive got the exact same rifle you are looking at getting..26" Rem 700 SPS Varmint chambered for the .308

The stock, well, it's not a favorite of mine, thats for sure, and Im looking to have it replaced soon enough with a B&C.

The rifle has posted up great groups from the get go, and from day one, has been sub MOA. It's ate everything from 150 grain up to 180 grain (and in between) fromall different makers...Win, Rem, Fed, Hor, Black Hills, etc..

Only issue's Ive had so far is if I work the bolt TO easy, sometimes will have a hard time feeding. But, if I work the bolt with any kind of authority, no problems.

Also, I topped it off with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, and with base (EGW 20MOA) and rings(Warne Permanent lows), I have just a smidge over $1000 in teh whole setup, and for a sub MOA (with it's preference, Hornady 168 BTHP, will group 1/2" at 100 yards all day long) rifle, thats a bargain.

Best part? The Rem 700 is like the 69 Camaro, or 55-57 Chevy, EVERYONE works on 'em, and makes parts for 'em. You cant go wrong with the Rem 700...Here is mine

DSCN1967-1.jpg

DSCN1966.jpg

Oh, I live in Pearland (right oustide of Houston), down by the Gulf Of Mexico, and is as humid as anywhere in the country, and I havent had a problem at all with rust...

Edit:

The pics above, the scope is sitting in a set of mediums. I was thinking that with teh 44mm bell, lows might be too low. Well, I was wrong. Not only that, with teh lows on it now, I could STILL go lower...

You will be very happy with that rifle. I got the same model in December and have loved it from day one. I switched the stock out to a B&C A3, put in a Shilen competition trigger, and topped it off with a 8.5-25x50mm Leupold VX-3 Long Range scope. It shoots 1/2MOA with factory Hornady 168 AMAX Match ammo consistently. The only other thing I am considering doing to it is having the barrel cut back to around 22" and putting a suppressor on it.