• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rebated Rim 338 Lapua to fit 308 Bolt Face

Gee

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hi,

Re:- Wildcat Rebated Rim on 338 Lapua to fit 308 Bolt face.

If the 6.5-284 and 450 Bushmaster can use a rebated rim, surely there is some ability to bring this to other cartridges ?

I actually wish to be able to do this:-

1. Rebate 338 Lapua to 308 bolt face
2. Neck 338 up to .50 to shoot 50 Peacekeeper
3. Do this by single loading in a none magnum Accuracy International AW rifle.
4. I do not wish to purchase another bolt to open the 308 bolt face up to fit 338.
5. I am presuming the action of this rifle is strong enough.
6. I do not know if the 338 Lapua case is strong enough to be safely rebated to 308 ?
7. I presume, I would get less case life, before primer pockets expanded ?
8. I was going to shoot 510 Whisper in this rebated rim format, but feel that with powders like Trail Boss there is no need for the smaller case to achieve good subsonic performance, the full length case giving much greater supersonic capability.
9. If this works, it would make a very compact 50 Calibre package.
10. If I deep seat 338 round nose heads, I can even feed from the none magnum length magazine.
11. To unload an unfired 50 Peacekeeper, I would have to remove the bolt.
12. Many 308 actions would not be strong enough to contemplate this. How do I know that the AW is ?

Gee

Re: Rebated Rim 338 Lapua to fit 308 Bolt Face

The Peacekeeper is based off of the 460 Weatherby and not the 338 Lapua. 308 actions are just as strong as any action suitable for the 338 Lapua. Why would you go through the aggravation of rebating the Lapua rim and have to take out bolt each time? I just don`t get it. I have designed many wildcats and you will find out it`s not worth it. Just buy another action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Peacekeeper is based off of the 460 Weatherby and not the 338 Lapua. 308 actions are just as strong as any action suitable for the 338 Lapua. <span style="font-weight: bold">Why would you go through the aggravation of rebating</span> the Lapua rim and have to take out bolt each time? I just don`t get it. I have designed many wildcats and <span style="font-weight: bold">you will find out it`s not worth it. Just buy another action.</span> </div></div>

Agreed.

Hi,

My understanding is that both the 338 Lapua and the 460 Weatherby case, have been used to neck up to 50 cal., by SSK, to create both the 510 Whisper and 50 Peacekeeper.

I have no desire to buy another action, as the barrels on an AW are quite quick and easy to change, it is a desire to seek maximum versatility and push the envelope.

There is no need to remove the bolt every time, unless a live round has been chambered in 50 Peacekeeper and one decides not to fire it. Unfired live rounds in 338 Lapua will eject fine. And 338 Lapua will I believe even feed from the 308 magazine box if round nose heads are deep seated.

So, imagine moving from long range VLD shooting with a 1-8 Twist 22-250, in five minutes change the barrel, and your same rifle is now shooting 750gr Hornady A Max. That is some versatility.

Gee

Hi Ratburt,

Having a quick change barrel facility on the AW encourages one to use it to the fullest extent, in order to receive the most enjoyment by having variety, and it saves on having to buy more and more rifles. However, there is also a lot to be recomended from limiting oneself to one rifle in one calibre in order to become most proficient with it.

Gee

A year or so ago the local Cabellas had an atrosity built on a Sako TRG action.

Same sort of scenario. A 338LM necked down to 30 cal with the .590" case head turned down to a std .545" magnum bolt face.

You shot it by pulling the bolt, inserting the cartridge into the bolt face, and loading the "assembly".

It worked, but it just struck me as a poor way to force the issue out of such a great action/gun.

One thing to consider is the pressures involved. I'm not familiar at all with the cartridge you want to turn this into, so you may very well be fine.

However:

It's one thing to buzz a .590" head to .545". Basically all your doing is removing .0225" from the OD of the rim. Hardly anything.

Going from .590" to .480" is close to an 1/8" inch off of the OD. In theory it should work, but I would use extreme caution when at the reloading bench. Be very diligent and realistic when developing loads. If pressures are elevated you'll likely wear out the primer pocket in short order.

Just be careful and have fun.

Good luck,

C.

This sounds as well thought out as the time I decided to pee on the electric fence to see if it was on. I learned my lesson on that one too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Dad use to tell me "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should" </div></div>
My dad always used to tell me something similar; "if that [idea] worked, somebody would have already done it." Maaaaaaybe not in this particular case (pun intended).

Hello Gentlemen,

Regarding your earlier comments on my post:-

I don't think fitting a barrel on an AW, a five minute job, is much of a modification burden, nor is custom rebating a couple of hundred 338 Lapua cases to fit a 308 bolt head. JD Jones of SSK felt it would be OK to rebate the 510 Whisper rim to fit the 308 bolt face on the AW, I just forget to ask how he felt about doing similar in 50 Peacekeeper.

The 308 bolt face on the AW is capable of being opened up to take 338 Lap, so that might be an option. I could just get another "bolt head" instead of a whole bolt, but changing the bolt head on an AW is unfortunately too much work. I'd rather get a 2nd bolt, though I hate to think what AI would charge for a whole bolt assembly.

The DTA SRS is a good thing, and I should consider it, as I like bullpups and have a few already, though not yet a DTA. My feelings about some bullpups, are the lack of ease in maintaining ones exact firing position when manipulating a bolt so close to ones shoulder, and whether extra linkage in the trigger mechanism degrades the feel and may make field cleaning difficult, or in the case of a Sommer & Ockenfuss - impossible.
Regardless of centre fire calibre, rifle or pistol, I like to clip my rounds into a magazine simply by pressing down, without having to hold down a previous round, then feed a new round in under the magazine lips. My preferred method requires a double column mag, which the DTA magazine may not have ?

Of course, I could sell the AW and buy a PSR-AX Multi Caliber System, which would address all concerns, except perhaps those of my wallet.

Perhaps the best reason to ever do something in life, is when people say it can't be done.

As to the gentelman who was relieving himself upon an electric cattle fence, I think thats definately one to try at least once in life. Better a live electric cattle fence than a metal hand rail in a lighting storm, a strike which I believe causes ones stream to vapourise and ones member explode.

Gee