• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebedding an AICS

dpodgurs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2010
Peoria, AZ
About this time last year I picked up and AICS 2.0 on the forum here. It was already bedded for a Surgeon 591 and I purchased it with the intention on rebedding it to my action. I've finally got the time to do the job, so I ordered some Devcon 10610 and picked up some Kiwi neutral shoe polish. I'm all set to dremel out what I need to of the existing bedding material. Where I am stuck is if I need to keep the skins on while I set the barreled action in the new bedding compound or if I should take them off?

You've all been very helpful in the past..there definitely is a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks in advance.

You could bed them with the skins on or off. They should be taking any of the bedding anyway. I'd take them off to prevent slipping and dremelling them or getting devcon on them.

Take them off.
Personally I would remove the bedding and shoot it as is. Unless the action is tweaked or something. I guess it falls under can't hurt to bed it but if bedding is needed on that chassis something else is wrong.

Personally I would remove the bedding and shoot it as is. Unless the action is tweaked or something. I guess it falls under can't hurt to bed it but if bedding is needed on that chassis something else is wrong.

I have to disagree with this. If you can get ALL the bedding off, as in back to original condition, then go ahead and skip the rebedding. The chassis was designed to hold the action very, very firmly. I doubt you'll be able to get it back to this condition, though. You'll most likely still have a fair bit of bedding material with an inconsistently dremeled surface. This is not a good interface for the action to sit on. In that case, rebedding is a necessity in my opinion.

Oh, and I'd remove the skins in case you get bedding compound leaking somewhere where it's not supposed to be.

its designed for a perfect action. the original owner should have left it. if you are putting a rem700 action in it then bedding shoud help because not many of them are actually round.

Thanks guys. I know I'm going to have to rebed because there was some modifications done to the stock and it will never be in 'new' condition again.