• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RECALL of ALL Remington 597's in 17HMR

beaglestorm

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2009
El Paso, TX
I can't believe this. They are re-calling all the guns with no option to fix them. Their offering just a smal 200-250 Remington credit twords another one of their guns. I paid 325 for mine. Does this sound reasonable?

DO NOT USE REMINGTON 17 HMR AMMUNITION IN SEMI-AUTOMATIC FIREARMS.

DO NOT USE THE REMINGTON MODEL 597 HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLE.

Remington has been notified by its supplier of 17 HMR ammunition that 17 HMR ammunition is not suitable for use in semi-automatic firearms. The use of this ammunition in a semi-automatic firearm could result in property damage or serious personal injury.

If you have a semi-automatic firearm chambered for 17 HMR ammunition, immediately discontinue use of Remington 17 HMR ammunition. If you have any Remington 17 HMR ammunition that you wish to return to Remington contact the Remington Consumer Service number below.

Do not return the ammunition to the dealer. Remington will provide you with a $10.00 coupon for each complete box of 50 rounds of Remington branded 17 HMR ammunition you return to Remington. This coupon will be good for the purchase of any Remington ammunition at your local dealer.

In light of the ammunition manufacturer’s notice, it is very important that you immediately stop using your Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle. If you own a Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle and wish to return it to Remington please contact the below Remington Consumer Service Number. In return for your Remington Model 597 17 HMR synthetic stock semi-automatic rifle, Remington will provide you a coupon valued at $200.00 good for the purchase of a replacement Remington firearm. If you have a laminate stock Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle, Remington will provide you a coupon valued at $250.00 good for the purchase of a replacement Remington firearm. Remington will also reimburse you for the actual postage to return your Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle to Remington.

Please allow up to 6 weeks after Remington receives your Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle or your Remington branded 17 HMR ammunition for the appropriate coupons to arrive. Instructions for redemption of the coupons will be contained on the coupon.

For any consumer questions or instructions on how to return of your Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle or your Remington branded 17 HMR ammunition, please contact the Remington Consumer Service Department at 1-800-243-9700, Prompt #3.

I found the link here:

Remington 597 Recall Notice

Re: RECALL of ALL Remington 597's in 17HMR

Unbelievable that they refund not even below MSRP, but below retail as well... what is the logic in that?

That's completely unreasonable in my opinion.

Probably a bean counter that decided to only give back whatever dealer cost is.

That is what it sounds like to me.

Sounds like time for one of them laywers to get rich. Can anyone say CLASS ACTION?

lol,
Mark

Let's look at it this way. Either:
A) Return our product for a loss (we will still be making money off the sale) or
B) Continue to use our product and either blind or kill yourself, which is probably about a $3 million lawsuit

You would think that they would go ahead and take the loss. If I had one of their rifles blow up on me, I think the poor recall would actually help my case... so they are getting the worst of both worlds. They are exposing themselves to lawsuits while at the same time, having to pay for the recall.

If you are going to do a recall, don't half-ass it.

What is the problem with the rifle? Is it not strong enough to withstand the magnum cartridge? I would send it in, but not for $250.

Ruger was having the same problem with their 10/17. They were getting blow-ups. I think its problem is that the gas is just not consistent enough to run a gas gun reliably... but that is a guess.

If it was $250 cash I could possibly justify doing it as the gun is worthless now, but a $250 Remington credit??? Cash is tight for almost eveyone right now. Depending on how and who will take the credit, I think it will be hard to replace it with another rifle with out having to put in a fair amount more money... Unless you want an air gun those are $225 or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ruger was having the same problem with their 10/17. They were getting blow-ups. I think its problem is that the gas is just not consistent enough to run a gas gun reliably... but that is a guess. </div></div>

Are these gas operated or blowback?I wonder if this is a problem with Ruger 10/22 Mags converted to 17 HMR also_Or should I say,this is probably why I can't find a conversion kit to 17 HMR for the 10/22 Mag.

Yes,there are problems.
I had a Magnum Research, built on a 10/22 mag.Ruger receiver.
They sent letters to their customers offering a refund with proof of purchase.
I sent mine in about two weeks ago with a copy of the receipt and am waiting for my refund.
Magnum Research did not limit the refund to a specific amount.
Their letter said there were problems with .17HMR ammo being over-pressure or something like that.

Remington SUCKS on customer service, had a similar thing with a brand new 700 LVSS, they wanted to "refund" me a credit of $300 on a $500+ gun. Had it out with them for a while, finally got them to send me a different rifle ("we don't produce that rifle in 308, it was a limited run"- guess Remington doesn't employ anybody that can pull a barrel and put it on a different receiver!) and when it arrived it had a cracked stock and rust all over it, had to pay to ship it back and wait another month before the new one showed up. I figure I lost $200+, have not bought many Remingtons since...

From what I gather from RFC the real problem with 17HMR in a semi is the chamber getting dirty and the shell stopping short and the 597 firing OOB. I don't know about the other guns.

I knew there was a reason I didn't sell my 22 mag! Does this mean all semi 17's are out? Or is it just until they build guns specifically for them?

D

It has all started at CCI (a la ATK) where they have decided NO semi auto 17HMR is safe with ANY 17HMR ammo. Since ATK makes it all, and just supplies the other brand names with thier ammo, they can effectively kill all semi 17HMRs with one stroke. And apperantly that is what they are doing. Remington is just reacting (abliet poorly) to ATKs decision.

I think I'll keep my VQs though, they haven't had problems for me. In fact, if any of you own Volquartsen 17HMRs and are afraid of shooting them now, I'll personally give you $400
grin.gif
for it! I learned my economics from Remington!

I wonder if this extends to the .17 MACHII?I haven't looked to see if Midway is still selling the conversion parts for the 10/22 to 17 MACHII.

This is some BS. I bought a 597 laminated bull barrel for a lot more than %250.00. Plus what about the extra mags I bought for it and hell I got a scope and Volq hammer for the damn thing too. I checked out Magnum Research's site and they said they will reimburse purchase price.
This is seriously FUCKED UP!

$10 for an unopened box of 50 rounds that even when bought by the case costs $12.50-13.50, and a solid hit on the cost of the rifle? Remington is going to get their asses in a crack on this one, and if it's not because of a lawsuit, it's going to be people getting pissed and walking away from the company.

Very few (if any) of their products do not have a competitor at the same price point and the same capability which can't just snap up the disenchanted.

Hard to believe--pretty un-Remington like. If the owner had a receipt supporting the amount paid--that should be the amount they refund. I could understand a ceiling if you didn't have a reciept...

heard of one story where remington replaced one with the new model five in 17 hmr......ugly thing it is. what about the 22 mag???

I have heard that Volquartsen, ruger etc. have all stopped production of their 17's due to the ammo issue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gbp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard that Volquartsen, ruger etc. have all stopped production of their 17's due to the ammo issue </div></div>

I don't know that Volquartsen has stopped 17HMRs yet. I have been looking at thier website for updates, but I don't see anything. Does anyone know if they have <span style="font-weight: bold">officially </span>commented on this yet? I know they have over 3000 17 HMRs sold, and at $1200+ each, that would make for a nasty recall.

I have never heard of a VQ having a problem yet. Maybe they have the secret to sucess with the HMR?

Yeah it sucks, however if one were to sell their "used" gun one usually doesn't get full retail for it or the ammo.
Just a thought, but yeah does suck...would be nice if they'd swap it for a 22 mag.

well i keep my two 10/22 mags converted to 17 hmr clean and have never had any problems with probably a 1k rounds through each and will continue to shoot them even have extra barrels for when i wear the current ones out

I just received a 17 from Volquartsen last week. They dont seem to worried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis_in_VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to Gander Mtn here in Roanoke yesterday and had noticed that they had pulled ALL of the 17HMR ammo.

</div></div>

None at the store in lbk as well.

This is interesting to read. It's similar to HK and their deal with I believe the HK 300 (the .22 version of their semi-auto sporting rifles NOT the 22 Mag).
Any 300 that comes back to them for service, the company buys it from the owner and will not return it.
There were some OOB firing cases with these rifles... company believes it was from people not cleaning them well enough....but it was the same deal... they couldn't risk somebody letting it get that dirty, and having the gun blow a round and take an eye, etc.

Was not able to make over tho Volq. but I did send them a email and this is there response.

We are still producing our .17 HMR semi-auto rifles and have no plans to discontinue them. I think there are a lot of underlying issues out there in regard to some other rifles that has caused this but unfortunately attorneys write all this stuff up and end up giving our rifles a bad name.

I don't plan on selling my hmr anytime soon as I know it will function.

Oh and if anyone wants to sell me there remington 17 hmr premier ammo at $10 a box I'll be glad to take it off your hands
whistle.gif

I was on the Federal Ammunition site a few days ago due to an unrelated ammunition issue and they also have a notice saying their .17HMR ammo is unsafe for use in semi-autos.

Thought I would pass it along.

I had bought a box of fed hmr ammo a few years ago and you could visually see different seating depths in the same box! Funny thing about it though was that it shot both the best groups out of the ammo I tried but also shot the worst too. Sorry for getting off topic.

Playing devil's advocate: Its a recall on ammo, but an option on returning the guns.

We can't have them over here so don't affect me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Playing devil's advocate: Its a recall on ammo, but an option on returning the guns.

We can't have them over here so don't affect me. </div></div>

Re-read the recall. Not only are they recalling Remington ammo, they are telling you NOT to fire the gun and giving you the option to return it for a fraction of its price and value.

How good is a gun to you for which the ammo has been recalled and you're being told not to fire it for safety reasons? It's quite the awkward paperweight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Playing devil's advocate: Its a recall on ammo, but an option on returning the guns.

According to the British Home Office Page,it won't be long before you guys aren't allowed to even have knives.

Mine blew up last summer on a hunting trip. I returned it to them and got a great deal on the 547 in 17. I was on my first day of the hunt when the rifle slam fired or fired out of battery. The case blew the mag out the bottom and destroyed it and blew out the extractor. Being left handed I got peppered up pretty good. I was pissed, but lucky that I didnt get hurt. It took a few weeks of bithcing and had to sign a release not to sue. They gave my a $800 credit. I bet mine was one the first to go. I can't believe they waited a whole yr. Pretty stupid on their part.

Funny.... my 22lr fired OOB on me, amongst other problems.

Personally, I think the rifles themselves are junk. I've yet to see a 597 in person that wasn't a complete POS, and they show up from time to time around here. Remmy really screwed the pooch on that whole deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Playing devil's advocate: Its a recall on ammo, but an option on returning the guns.

According to the British Home Office Page,it won't be long before you guys aren't allowed to even have knives.

</div></div>

We can't... we have to prove a defence to carry pretty much anything.

I've had a Ruger 10/22 fire OOB on 3 different occasions. All with Remington cheap 22lr ammo, the kind that comes 550 to a milk carton. I am no longer buying anything with Remington's name on it. After what I have seen and what others have experienced, it is just too plain to see that they are producing junk. The problem is that they now own so many previously good companies. I hope their corporate culture doesn't spill over onto these other companies.

Remington is owned by Cerberus Capital, the same outfit that delivered the coup de grace to Chrysler. The company's "suits" (read: attorneys and accountants) obviously are directing this program; they seem to want to get Remington out of its jam as cheaply as possible. My 597 .17 has shot flawlessly to this point however I will follow the prudent course and not use it anymore. I bought it new for just under $400 two years ago and have no intention of returning it for a $200 voucher usable only for another Remington product. In the past three years I've bought four new Remingtons (an 870 and 597s in each of the three available calibers). I had (past tense emphasized) plans to add another Remmy or two; no more. And since they now own Marlin, DPMS and Bushmaster, among others, my boycott list is getting longer. I think it just a matter of time before a class action suit emerges and I'll be sorely tempted to join it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had no idea that they own Marlin now as well... shit, that really only leaves Savage </div></div>

Remington also now owns H&R aswell.