• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reccomendations for best semi .308 AR platform

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Hi folks,

I was hoping to start a thread on what people think is the best .308 semi auto platform on the market today. GAP, POF, LWRC, JP...Larue...there is a long list. Personally, I like the Larue Costa OBR but it's massively marked up.

I'm going to look at all of them and try to narrow down the list. I would prefer a piston gun because I strictly shoot suppressed and don't want to be spending as much time cleaning as I do shooting. We don't need to have the accuracy debate since all of these high end platforms have a pretty minimal impact shift when comparing DI to piston.

So, in a 20in barrel who would you want to build your rig? It has to be indestructible and go bang every time. Feel free to chime in.....I know everybody thinks their rig is the best some post some pics of groups and yardage so we can all see.

I plan on shooting out to a max of 800 plus and would like to be able to hit a 14x14 plate steel at 1000 if I do my job right. Optics selection will,probably be USO or S&B.

Thanks!

Re: Reccomendations for best semi .308 AR platform

If you want the piston, then LWRC and POF are your only two options of the ones you listed.

Not trying to sound like an asshole. Just use the search button and do some research on your own. Every weapon in the .308 category has its positives and negatives that will reflect in different ways to different shooters.

I'm just tired of the piston vs DI debate. You don't want to spend time on cleaning your rifle when shooting suppressed then don't shoot a DI and narrow down your rifles to piston only.

A few brands for piston are F&D, PWS, Sig Sauer, POF, Hogan, and LWRC. I own a LMT MWS and it has performed greatly for me and for the Brits on the two way range. I do agree with you that it's a pain in the ass to clean a DI after shooting suppressed but the LMT MWS shines in ease of cleaning and maintenance. Just pull the barrel out and you have plenty of room to give the rifle a white glove inspection.

I think you have a good idea on what you want so try to find the best deal and least amount of waiting on it and get it.

Or just shoot your REPR...you know, the one you claim can hit playing cards at will at 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or just shoot your REPR...you know, the one you claim can hit playing cards at will at 1000 yards. </div></div>

Same thing I was thinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or just shoot your REPR...you know, the one you claim can hit playing cards at will at 1000 yards. </div></div>

Same think I was thinking. </div></div>

+1

I'd be tempted to build a franken gun if I had to do it again.

Mega makes a nice upper and Lower, JP makes a good bolt, DPMS carrier is probably fine. Krieger or on the Lower end a DPMS heavy barrel cut and aftermarket threaded to 18" may do well.

The quality bolt is going to be JP or LMT, but I wouldn't want to slave myself to the barrel from LMT again.

I'd want something that would take a Magpul Mag, I'd probably do a PRS stock because it wouldn't wobble. A good trigger is probably a fairly good idea, and I think MaTens will take an Ar trigger meaning you might get off the hook cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or just shoot your REPR...you know, the one you claim can hit playing cards at will at 1000 yards. </div></div>

I can wipe the collard greens off of the monitor...

but I think I just tinkled a little bit in my pants.

I would build it if it were me. Your options are pretty limited if you want piston.

Forget what everyone has or wants to push build it yourself its not about what everyone else wants its what fits you what you feel comfortable with what sights you like only you can tell you what feels best

The KAC SR-25 ER isn't a bad choice for the price now, which is much less than the EMR line of last year. I've been very pleased with my SR-25 EMC since purchasing it, and with an AAC SDN6 it still prints 1/2 - 3/4 MOA five round groups. Not many KAC fans here though...too bad. They're running about the same price as the LWRC REPR. If you're on a budget...I'd start with a Mega upper/lower and a Noveske barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cms81586</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The KAC SR-25 ER isn't a bad choice for the price now, which is much less than the EMR line of last year. I've been very pleased with my SR-25 EMC since purchasing it, and with an AAC SDN6 it still prints 1/2 - 3/4 MOA five round groups. Not many KAC fans here though...too bad. They're running about the same price as the LWRC REPR. If you're on a budget...I'd start with a Mega upper/lower and a Noveske barrel. </div></div>

I don't think KAC is short of fans. I just think the economy is in a bad place and they are priced out of most budgets.

I've had good experiences with KAC products, I would expect 1.2MOA 5 round groups. I have a friend who is a good shooter and mentioned having issues getting his EMC to group better than 1.75MOA so that would seem to suggest there are some worse guns out there.

My experience is with the M110 and SR25, and both of those shot about 1.2MOA with M118LR. The SR25 I was shooting was at Tiger Valley and they were saying it had 20,000 rounds through it. The M110 I was shooting was new and shot about the same as the SR25, so I'm not sure whether to believe the 20,000 rounds, or to just think that SR started life as a more accurate gun and the barrel was really holding on well.

Not sure what "best" means as that subjective term is predicated on budgetary constraints and shooter objectives, but after light years of research and analyzing range reports the GAP-10 (.308) gets my vote.

2013 will be the year a GAP-10 custom finds its way to NOVA.

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch! Bet that'll leave a mark!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unreconstructed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or just shoot your REPR...you know, the one you claim can hit playing cards at will at 1000 yards. </div></div>

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch! Bet that'll leave a mark!!!!! </div></div>

Marks on both the playing cards and the shooter!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DavidAR10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or just shoot your REPR...you know, the one you claim can hit playing cards at will at 1000 yards. </div></div>

I can wipe the collard greens off of the monitor...

but I think I just tinkled a little bit in my pants.</div></div>

Good one

I would vote LMT MWS, GAP-10, or LaRue for a 308.

J P Enterprise or Gap-10 or Larue OBR, I do a lot of research and have shot many different rifles. These were the top 3 for ME.

I would wait and get the larue predatobr 7.62

Our 7.62 OBR just arrived but we haven't shot it yet. When we previously T&E'd an 18" 7.62 OBR, it was sub-moa using FGMM 168g.

Our 18" 5.56 OBR is .5 moa or better at 100 yds using 62g X-Tac 5.56 (not match grade ammo).

I find either platform using an Atlas, PRS, and S&B PM II to be "boringly accurate". Haven't had a range long enough to challenge either one as max distance is only 400 yds at our primary range. It pretty much feels like cheating engaging anything larger than 4-6 inches. At 100 yds, a one inch shoot-n-see is plenty big enough.

To answer your question, if you bought a LaRue OBR, I'm sure you'd be pleased with the performance.

Black Rain Ordnance, I run a 22 5/8" barrel on mine.
2nd JP
Larue, good out of the box but too much of a pain to modify
GAP- no experience with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or just shoot your REPR...you know, the one you claim can hit playing cards at will at 1000 yards. </div></div>

BWAAAHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2659852&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...370#Post2540370 </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And sniper ammo is a bit different than regular fmj ammo....it's designed for max penetration and shooting flatter for longer distance. Problem is it's not cheap.</div></div>

Wow. Can't believe I missed this stuff his first time around...