• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Received my New TR Today

jlopez

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Well gentleman I received my new TR Today. I am hoping to shooting latter on this morning. This gun is just like we saw at Shot Show. Got her cleaned but the bolt is not very smooth. Seems to hang up a little. How would I polish it up to make it smoother? Love the bolt knob. Trigger feels great (far better than other stock triggers). Feeds and ejects beautifully. Scope bases are just barely off level. Not any where nearly as bad as the guys on RFC. I have my Falcon menace scope mounted up. I will need to make a cheek piece and may still get a one piece base but otherwise she seems ready to rock. I just hope she shoots as good as she looks.
J

PS Click on the following link for a full article Savage Mark II Review

Re: Received my New TR Today

I got the 22 lr. I am headed to the range right now before I go to work. Will try to update but I have a match a 9am and I get home at 3am. So it may not show up until Monday morning.

I plan on grabbing one as soon as I can Looking forward to your review

I just pick up a MKII TR the other day too.

savage_001.jpg

Here is a quick report. It was a balmy 38 degrees in the mountains of Colorado at the elevation of 8000 ft. First things first take some pictures of the rifle. Alright brought the camera but plum forget the memory card. So sorry no pictures today. Will do some later. As stated earlier everything set and ready to go. Just attach the Harris bipod load a mag let see where she hits. Ammo for this outing was Winchester Super X High Velocity bulk pack. Wanted to see how she performed on the cheap stuff.
To zero the scope the target was set at 25 yd. The first five shots had a maximum spread of .73 with a vertical spread of .64 and a horizontal spread of .48.
TR1stshots.jpg

The best ten shot group at 25 yd had a maximum spread of .53 with a vertical spread of .54 and a horizontal spread of .44.
25ydbest.jpg

I also shot a 50 yd target with a ten shot group that had a maximum spread of 1.60 with a vertical spread of 1.26 and a horizontal spread of 1.43.
50ydbest.jpg
Eliminate me moving all around and worst five shots and this becomes maximum spread of .22 with a vertical spread of .21 and a horizontal spread of .19. I got way to excited and started throwing them every where. But the capability of the rifle is there. I can not wait to see what happens with the Wolff Match or the Eley Sport. I also plan on trying the CCI and some Remington Target. With my asthma and the cold weather and me in general not being the shot in the world I am sure this will be better for others.

Total Shots for the day was 150. I did experience 9 feed jams where the bullet actually got deformed. Will see if this continues with use of the other ammo. The bolt started working smother but if some one has a link on how to smooth this out it would be greatly appreciated. This is going to be a great little trainer. I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to finding out what this rifle will do as it breaks in.
J

i have the savage 17btvs thumbhole, and what i found to work the best on smoothing the bolt was just plane old tetra gun grease and working the action several hundred times, ie, when surfing the web, or watching a movie, just hold in the trigger and cycle the action... worked for me as now its almost as slick as my stainless howa .223(which is the smoothest action i have ever felt,) and similar to my rem 700 sps tac .308

best of luck mate, hope the new 22 shoots flys once it has settled in, now make with the pics so i can decide if i want one of these bad bad bad boys or the anschutz 64 msr i have been dreaming of (untill i saw the TR's)

full review would be very much looked forward to as well my friend as if history serves, it will be at least a year till we see them down under

cheers jimi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you break it in at all? </div></div>

.22s dont really need to be broken in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtRacer151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you break it in at all? </div></div>

.22s dont really need to be broken in </div></div>

Yes they do... Just no need for the cleaning every round... None of my .22 rifles would hit anything until after broken in, which just involves shooting it 200 or 300 rounds...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadwick122689</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtRacer151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you break it in at all? </div></div>

Yes they do... Just no need for the cleaning every round... None of my .22 rifles would hit anything until after broken in, which just involves shooting it 200 or 300 rounds... </div></div>

OK let me work it differently then. A 22 doesn't need to be broken in the same way a centerfire is done. Cleaning a 22 usually will cause more damage to the bore then good. My process with a new 22 is just taking my time and keeping the barrel cool. Once the barrel has been seasoned its usually non stop shooting forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtRacer151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadwick122689</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtRacer151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you break it in at all? </div></div>

Yes they do... Just no need for the cleaning every round... None of my .22 rifles would hit anything until after broken in, which just involves shooting it 200 or 300 rounds... </div></div>

OK let me work it differently then. A 22 doesn't need to be broken in the same way a centerfire is done. Cleaning a 22 usually will cause more damage to the bore then good. My process with a new 22 is just taking my time and keeping the barrel cool. Once the barrel has been seasoned its usually non stop shooting forever. </div></div>

That was the point I was getting at...

hey on my 308, i cycled it a bunch then took the bolt out and i could see where the black coating was wearing off on the contact areas. i used 600 wet/dry and polished it up in those areas. plus like others have said, the are pretty dry. i used oil and light grease sparingly

found out an interesting tidbit of info regarding the stocks on these.

a fella over at rimfirecentral emailed Boyds (who make all the laminate stocks for savage)asking what the stock was made of, be it wood, laminate timber or his own personal suspicion that it was like an MDF material.

Boyds emailed back saying it was indeed a laminate, because it is one tuff material, and that they will be offering the stock for sale to th general public in the not too distant future....

may just have to order one of these stocks for the BTVS if that is the case....but for a few hundred AUS $$$ i could have the .22aswell.....damn it, will have to talk to some local savage dealers here in AUS.....

cheers, hope this sheds some light somewhere useful..

jimi

I had read in several areas that 22's do not need breaking in. The first 150 shots were slow fire and the barrel was able to cool between each string of 10. It was a cold day and it did not take long. I presume the groups will tighten up as it is shot a little more and as I try different ammo. I am looking to shoot it in the morning again and see what happens. The stock is wood and very nice with very little twist. It was one of the main reasons I wanted to purchase this rifle. I plan on utilizing a sling and I definitely was not getting one of the plastic stocks. The length of pull is similar to my regular rifle and it has more heft but not real heavy. It is well balanced. The barrel is nicely free floated. I have not removed the stock to see if it needs any bedding. I think it is going to make a perfect little trainer. As you can all see my breathing needs work and so does my trigger control.

I paid $450 and that dealer said they would have it in 2 days. I was quoted $430 from another dealer but he could never get me an ETA (not from a lack of trying either). This was the same from all the big chains they all had them on order but did not know when they would arrive.

What else would you all like to know. I plan on writing this up as more of an article so please let me know what else should be included.

That's good to hear that the stock is laminate and feels like the "real" thing. I think this clinches it for me and I will have to see my dealer soon about getting one of these. Thanks for the info.

Did I break it in?

Only if, by break in, you mean load and shoot. I did pace my self and not heat the barrel up too much though.

Tried the different ammo today and I will post an amendment to the report. All I got to say is the more I shoot it the better it gets.

I will post tomorrow.

About .5 inch, 10 shot groups at 50 yards. Also, went 8 for 8 at 140 yards on, I think it was an 8 inch plate.

And that is using a Centerpoint scope from Wally World.

How do you like the Centerpoint? I just picked one up last night, but I don't have a rimfire yet to shoot with. Waiting on the gun shop to get a TR in.

Since I was spending quite bit of time reviewing this rifle I decided to write an article. I have included pictures and I will be updating a couple of things. I have no mention of the magazine and the scope base. Need to images images and write copy for them. When I get a chance I will reshoot the 50 yard targets and also shoot 100 yards. You may view the Savage Mark II TR Review by clicking on the link.

For $74.95 at Walmart with a set of rings included it seems to be good for .22 trainers for limited budgets. I'll run till it breaks and then reevaluate.