• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rechamber .22 LR to .22 Mag? Is it possible?

kpgman79

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2023
Texas
Hi guys,
I have a pretty old tired .22 LR single shot I would like to have rechambered to .22 magnum. Is this possible with just a chamber reamer? I am pretty sure the action is up to the task (Remington Model 33). If this is in fact possible, does anyone have a recommendation for a .22 gunsmith who excels in this type work? Thanks in advance!

m33%5B1%5D.jpg

Yes and no.

Yes

Bore diameter is larger for .22 WMR. In the mid 70’s S&W came out with 22 LR kit gun in stainless I wanted one in a conversion set up. I gained access to 8-10 of them. Slugged the bores on all of them. Kept the largest one. Bought a new cylinder, fitted it, rechambered it to .22 mag.
Still shoots fine. Then S&W came out with the same gun in 22 Mag.

No

It is very unlikely your gun has a bore large enough to shoot accurately or keep pressures in line. Remember the .22 mag actually has a jacketed bullet not a copper washed lead slug. It’s also unlikely your action will withstand the pressures. Bolt face will need to be altered. It is also likely that the firing pin and spring are too light to fire the heavier rimmed 22 mag with consistent results.

Much better to simply find a 22 mag you like. Ithaca, Marlin, Brno, Winchester, HK Kimber Cooper and others depending on your budget.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I have a pretty old tired .22 LR single shot I would like to have rechambered to .22 magnum. Is this possible with just a chamber reamer? I am pretty sure the action is up to the task (Remington Model 33). If this is in fact possible, does anyone have a recommendation for a .22 gunsmith who excels in this type work? Thanks in advance!

m33%5B1%5D.jpg
Possible, in steps yes, however the twist rate (16-20+) would likely be too slow for the magnum rounds. If you must save the barrel’s exterior, lining would likely be a better option.

I say NO. Based on bore dia, and what I have read.
I have witnessed 22LR fired from a 22WMR rifle, and it was far from impressive, like not making it to the target past 50 yards. Don't ask, LOL

Reactions: RTH1800
I rechambered a BSA martini to .22 mag. No problems and it shoots very well.

Reactions: obx22
It used to be fairly common to see .22lr rechambered to .22 magnum,
Have heard all the don't do it talk before but never heard of an issue with a rifle that had been rechambered either

A older gentleman I know has rechambered well over 40 various rifles from 22lr to 22mag. 99% shoot better. The titgherbore may have an accurizing effect somehow. It wasn't just his stories, I was a witness and tester for a few. Now as always, YMMV

Reactions: kpgman79
Will a 22 mag drop into the reciever port or is it too long?

I was thinking you could have a smith yank out barrel and probably glue in a 17mach2 custom tube in there.

Wouldn't be cheap. Barrel being probably at least $300 and labor being almost as much or more.

Probably also have to mount a front sight or have reciever drilled and tapped for some Weaver bases easily enough. Not to spend for that really.

I would just go find a new/used 22mag instead and be well ahead if it were me.

Reactions: RTH1800
I know this is an old post but I found this exact same question asked on RFC forum back in 2008. Almost word for word. Check out this screen shot.

Untitled.jpg

I say NO. Based on bore dia, and what I have read.
I have witnessed 22LR fired from a 22WMR rifle, and it was far from impressive, like not making it to the target past 50 yards. Don't ask, LOL
I would say that any issues there would be chamber related and not bore related.

The single action convertible model pistols which shoot both .22lr and .22wmr down the same barrel such as the Rugers the barrel bores are slightly oversized for the wmr round size and the .22lr shoot fine.