• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing rechamber question

Jedi

Team AndiCapp
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2003
Mountains
can a rifle chambered in 6.5x47 be re-reamed into 6.5x55, without setting barrel back more than an inch?
Standard min spec match 6.5x55 throated for 140berger, or would 6.5gap be a better fit based on previous chamber of 6.5x47

Re: rechamber question

Are you buying your 6.5x47 barrel back off of Mark?:)

Nah but i,m just trying to ensure performance goals i have are met,
6.5GAP is sooooooooooo tempting
but until i,m proved wrong 6.5L should do what i need

Just researching in advance, wanna known my options

The question is, and not bashing anyone or any make, can you outshoot either caliber to know the difference? Me personally, no. If you are a better shooter, then yes you can tell the difference. 6.5X47L is one of my favorites. I get alot of people telling me that 6X "Insert Flavor" or 6.5X "Insert Flavor" is the best. When my sorry ass can tell the difference, I will then know better.

what i,m looking for is 2950fps 140berger

i know both 6.5x55 and 6.5gap will do this

will 6.5x47?? hell if i get close i will be happy if shoots good enuff for F class

Weren't you claiming some astronomical speed from a 18-22 inch 6.5x47L a while back, and now its research?

Bro go back and reread posts

your error will become obvious

but incase ya miss it 20" 123 scenar

31" 140berger

thnx for your worthless input

jedi,

The 6.5x47 has too wide of a shoulder to do a straight chamber extension to 6.5x55 Swede. You would have to set the barrel back or go to a case with a wider midpoint such as the .260.

FWIW, I'm finding I can't push the same bullets out as fast with a 7x57 (with similar case taper to a 6.5x55) as I can the 7mm-08 because of bolt thrust. My suggestion is to go with a case that has straighter case walls. I'm not familiar with the 6.5 GAP but that is what I would look at.

If you needed a little more power, I would look at the 6.5 Bobcat (.250 SAV case necked up and improved{6.5x49}), the .260 Rem/.260 imp., 6.5x55 improved, and 6.5-284.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Edit:
6.5 Creedmoor is in there too</span>

One of the guys where I shoot in the winter made a 'new' .260 imp. Instead of just blowing the shoulder forward, he pushed the shoulder back to give a longer neck. It helps with barrel life some. He had success with it.

I have all the cal. you listed except the 6.5 GAP. I love them all ( I guess I love any 6.5 just about). But I would reccomend the straight .260 to you. Thats what I shoot on a daily basis and love it. I love my x47 as I shot it yesterday but If your gonna have one the .260 has alot less drawbacks being that it's not a wildcat and the performance is about the same. Your not limited to certain kinds of brass and it likes the heavies a little better in my book. 6.5x284 is awesome but be ready to cut that bbl back alot sooner. I think that you will really like the .260. I have not found one thing the others can do that it cannot. except burn bbls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have all the cal. you listed except the 6.5 GAP. I love them all ( I guess I love any 6.5 just about). <span style="font-weight: bold">But I would reccomend the straight .260 to you.</span> Thats what I shoot on a daily basis and love it. I love my x47 as I shot it yesterday but If your gonna have one the .260 has alot less drawbacks being that it's not a wildcat and the performance is about the same. Your not limited to certain kinds of brass and it likes the heavies a little better in my book. 6.5x284 is awesome but be ready to cut that bbl back alot sooner. I think that you will really like the .260. I have not found one thing the others can do that it cannot. except burn bbls</div></div>

+1 Exactly!

There's a lot to be said about standardization from that case. You can make .243, .260, 7mm-08 and .338 Fed out of the .308 Case.

You will get everything you need and then some with no hassles.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Edit:

You can also make .224 .257 and .277 wildcat variants of that case. Plenty of bullets in those calibers to make a real show of it.</span>

Before I cut my barrel down I tried to get a 139 Scenar to 2900 and failed. Too much pressure in that little case. At 22 inches it shoots 2780 with really good accuracy and no pressure signs. I only shoot to 800 routinely so I don't need more speed.

Above comments in reference to the scalpel Preston made for me in 6.5x 47L