• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rechambering

Familydude

Spending my kids’ paltry inheritance on hobbies
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2020
    California
    Don’t kill me on what is probably a stupid question: Looking at buying a barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor. Already have a 6.5 barrel. Can I rechamber one of the barrels in either .308 or 300 winmag?

.300 WM takes a large action the 6.5 CM and .308 are short actions fyi
    If you don't already have a barreled action in mind, get a .308 barreled action that can utilize your 6.5 CM barrel you already own

Don’t kill me on what is probably a stupid question: Looking at buying a barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor. Already have a 6.5 barrel. Can I rechamber one of the barrels in either .308 or 300 winmag?
    The short answer is, technically, yes.
    However, you would have to have it rebored to the proper dimensions, then rifled.
    Finally, it will be rechambered.
    It is cost prohibitive and the results tend to be lackluster.

Not recommended...however, depending on what action you have there’s options available to you.

Best option is to grab a 30 cal barrel blank and have it chambered for 308 OR 300 WM. Now, the 300 WM requires a long action (magnum bolt face) due to overall length of the cartridge and case head size. The 6.5 and 308 win run in the same short action and bolt face along with a laundry list or other calibers.

3 things. Length of action (308 is short action, 300winmag is long action.

Diameter of bolt face. Magnum vs standard (308 is 0.473" dial, magnum is .532" ).

Diameter of bullet. 6.5mm is .264" barrel, 308 is.. well 300/308 (bore and lands diameter.)

Get those 3 matches to what you want, you are on your way.