• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recipe for 155 Sierra Palma Bullet.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I have Winchester cases, CCI 200, Federal and Win large rifle primers, Winchester 760 powder and Varget. My rifle is a Savage Model 12 and currently the 155 grain Palma bullets kisses the lands at 2.822".

So far, I've had reasonable success (1 MOA average) with 48 grains of Win 760 and a bullet seat depth or 2.820" When I've gone a little hotter, they open up. I'm wondering if I should continue up in charge weight or should I know play around with seating depth.

Paul

Re: Recipe for 155 Sierra Palma Bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Winchester cases, CCI 200, Federal and Win large rifle primers, Winchester 760 powder and Varget. My rifle is a Savage Model 12 and currently the 155 grain Palma bullets kisses the lands at 2.822".

So far, I've had reasonable success (1 MOA average) with 48 grains of Win 760 and a bullet seat depth or 2.820" When I've gone a little hotter, they open up. I'm wondering if I should continue up in charge weight or should I know play around with seating depth.

Paul </div></div>

I was tinkering this week with 155 Palmas (older 1992s) and 155 Scenars. I shot/clocked them yesterday.

5x5 shot groups for each. Varget at 45.5grs, 210Ms, RA61 milsurp brass with 8 cycles on them and prepped a bit (no neck turning/weight sorting) and I seated the Palmas at 2.825" and the Scenars at about 2.850".

Rifle is a Savage 10FP with a 26" tube that has ~2700 rounds down it. Temp was close to 90* and I shot at 100yds with a slight breeze.

I clocked two strings of 10 and 15 rounds for the Palmas and 15 and 10 for the Scenars alternating between the two bullets. Barrel would get hot as I sometimes shoot like a retard banging away on a drum set, that is to say I can shoot quickly.

Group 1, 10 shots SMK Palmas (older version)"

2795 fps, SD: 18.9

Group 2, 15 shots Scenars

2840 fps, SD: 16.1

Group 3, 15 shots Palmas

2761 fps, SD: 17.3

Group 4, 10 shots Scenars

2775 fps, SD: 20.9

Group sizes for the SMKs were: 1", 1 1/16", 15/16", 7/8" and 1/2".

Group sizes for the Scenars were: 1/2", 11/16", 3/4", 9/16" and 3/4".

SDs weren't great and velocities were a tad faster with the Scenars, but it was a fun day with some interesting data.

Chris

I would seat the bullets back .01" incrementally in groups of 5 rounds. Did you work your way up to this charge already? If not, I would back it off 0.5 gr at a time and see if anything changes.

whiskey, what brass and primer are you using? ive been playiny with the palmas but havent found a good recipe yet. i have a 26" sps varmint 1/12 also

You are looking at an accuracy node that is at least two nodes down from fast. You should be able to get the 155s up into the 2925-2950 fps range (at least with Varget).

Try working up slowly to 47.8 gr in Win cases or 47.5 in Lapua cases, watching pressure signs along the way.

the newer palma mk never did shoot well in my 1-12 kreiger but the older 155mk, 155 scenar, 155a-max, and 175mk all shoot very well. i am sure the new mk would shout MOA but that is just not acceptable to me.

chuck

i lucked into a box of the older ones in the cabelas bargain cave but havent tried them yet, any ideas for recipes for my 1/12 26" sps?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whiskey, what brass and primer are you using? ive been playiny with the palmas but havent found a good recipe yet. i have a 26" sps varmint 1/12 also</div></div>

I'm keeping it real with Winchester's .308 Win. Palma brass and Fed 210 primers.

i ran a the older 155 palma and got decent results. Heres my load
Rock 1-10 twist 19 inch barrel
Win Brass
CCI BR2 Primer
Benchmark powder 43.7 gr
155 SMK Palma
OAL 2.895
it was running around 2750ish fps

It is a waste of time to shoot the 155s unless you're going to push them 2900 or faster from a 24".

47 grains of Varget in LC cases gets me there. Others have loaded hotter at longer COALS. I'm loading about 2.895".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a waste of time to shoot the 155s unless you're going to push them 2900 or faster from a 24".

47 grains of Varget in LC cases gets me there. Others have loaded hotter at longer COALS. I'm loading about 2.895". </div></div>

They seem to work pretty damn well for me, they have been out to 1K and back never a problem, only takes me about 7.8 mils to get to 1K, but its a complete waste of time to use them....man what was i thinking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a waste of time to shoot the 155s unless you're going to push them 2900 or faster from a 24".

47 grains of Varget in LC cases gets me there. Others have loaded hotter at longer COALS. I'm loading about 2.895". </div></div>

They seem to work pretty damn well for me, they have been out to 1K and back never a problem, only takes me about 7.8 mils to get to 1K, but its a complete waste of time to use them....man what was i thinking</div></div>

What kind of MV are you getting with 47g of Varget? Maybe I'll bump my next batch up to 47g instead of 46g.

44.5gr of Reloader 15 in RP brass at 2.820 COL with CCI BR2 primers was extremely accurate in my rifle.

I just got some of the new 2156's and measured my max OAL. I measured 3.03 to kiss the lands.

If I load them at 2.95 that'll give me a .08 jump.

Should I seat them a little deeper?

didnt have much luck with the new 2156's but the 2155's shoot bugholes in my 12 twist krieger.

chuck

Were you using the same load? I'm wondering if they are more finicky about seating depth or distance to the lands.

my reamer has .050 freebore so the old 155's will make the lands at 2.820 or so i think. i used the same load with the new bullets and they didnt shoot very well. they would have to be seated MUCH further out to make the lands so i didnt persue them any further when so many other bullets shoot so well and will make the lands at magazine length. i generally dont run in the lands but i dont like to be over .020 or so away.

chuck

im having great success with the new palmas out of my remmy SPS tac...

worked up to 46.5gr in half gr increments

this was in FL sized win brass and FGMM primers with ADI ar 2208 (varget) seated at 2.80"

hangs around 1/2inch at 100.

am toying with the load as getting those groups was a little too easy and i think it can do much better, hope this is of some use,

cheers lads,

jimi

I've loaded some at 45.5gr of AR2208 with OAL of 2.82"

In necksized winchester brass with CCI 200 primer.

shot 60 (50 with 10 V bulls) at 500 meters... can't ask for better than that.

I'm going to Hbn coat some today and then load some over RL17 and see.

I give up, my SPS V doesn't like the 2156. Ive tried everything from 44 to 48.5 varget, seating from 2.800 through 2.840 and br2s and WLRs. all charge weights .3 at a time and all seating changes .010 at a time.

I think it's time to try 168 AMAX unless anyone has any other ideas?

also, the sps has a B&C medalist skim bedded

At what length to you touch the lands?

I touch the lands in my chamber 3.03 inches with that bullet. I loaded up some today, Hbn coated over 48-49 grains of I4895 in .2 grain increments.

We shall see.

i can't get to the lands without the bullet almost falling out of the case, didn't measure because it wouldn't have enough bearing surface with the neck.

I did have one load that shot in the high .2s but it wouldn't repeat, so i think it was luck. and it was slower than i wanted at about 45.5g

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a waste of time to shoot the 155s unless you're going to push them 2900 or faster from a 24".

Bullshit.

The 155 (part # 2156) in a moderate handload at 2850 fps absolutely kicks the ass of Fed GMM 175s.

Handloading the 155 SMK makes it a great bullet. Heck even the old 2155 bullet, being not picky about the load and lighter on recoil, is an outstanding go-to bullet out of any barrel length 308.

Guess there are just lots of us "wasting our time" shooting 155 Scenars, 155.5 Bergers, 155 VLDs, and 155 Sierras. NOT.

The 2156, Scenar, and 155.5 take 2 MOA less elevation at 1k yards than the 2155, but they are still great shooting bullets at the effective ranges of the 308 chambering.

Can't comment from experience on the 760 powder, but put any of them on top of 46-46.5 grs of Varget and you got the makings of a good load.

47.0 Varget (slightly compressed), Win brass, CCI primers, moly coated 155 Palmas (not 155 Match King), 2.8" OAL.

Steyr SBS tactical, Swarovski Barrett 10x scope, GSI steel 1-piece base, KAC rings, 10 round detachable box magazines.

I only have 200 yards to shoot at, but generally get 5 shot 3/4" at 200 yards with this load.

It's a great rifle. It'll really put them through the same hole at 100 yards if I do my part. It likes the 155 Palmas better than 168, 175, or 180 SMKs.