• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

recipes for lightweight hunting builds using proof carbon prefit barrels

davsco

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
so what prefit components (barrel, action, stock, bottom metal) are the lightest options, both for short and long action calibers? does anything touch the tikka t3 lite in terms of being lightweight?

i have a tl3, proof carbon and krg bravo and it's a solid 2# over my tikka.

an anti-x action should save 6oz and a mesa carbon stock should save 22oz but would need bottom metal approx 16oz for a net of <1# at a large cost.

Your components in an MDT HNT26 chassis (non-folding) would come close. The lightest version of the HNT26 is about .2# lighter than most factory plastic stocks. Pricey though, and if you go with the folder I believe it’s heavier than a factory stock.

Personally i would go with a Bartlein carbon barrel. I know it isnt prefit but I had a bad proof carbon barrel and I know of a few other that did too.
I had a similar experience

You’re probably not get a carbon barrel as light as a tikka contour of equal length. The lightest barrels are always going to be steel only, by nature carbon barrels are thin steel barrels with carbon added.

IIRC a tikka lite barrel is ~2.5 pounds at 24” and a sendero light will need to be 20” to match it

It all adds up quickly... as an example (action, barrel, bottom metal, stock, rings, sling, sling swivels):

Mack Bros short action: steel ~ 28.5 ounces, Ti ~20 ounces (just as an example - Lone Peak Razor would be another option here)
Proof Tikka pre-fit (just as a reference point): CF 22" 7 SAUM ~ 2 lbs 12 ounces (44 ounces)
Hawkins hunter DBM - 2.8 ounces (SA)
Seekins CF magazine - 1.4 ounces (SA)
Manners LRH - 30 ounces
Leupold Backcountry rings: ~3.5 ounces
Magpul RLS sling: 4.4 ounces
GrovTec swivels: ~3 ounces

Total (minus optics) - 109.1 ounces, or 6.82 lbs

That's not a true lightweight rig by today's standards. A manufacturer who is purpose building a lightweight rig as a package can beat that (a Barrett Fieldcraft or Seekins Havak, for example) weight (and perhaps cost) without difficulty. Obviously, you could do a lighter steel barrel or an even lighter stock if you're willing to make the compromises that come with those choices.

Since you said a lightweight hunting build guessing you would be Ok with a more traditional style stock?? If so take a look at the Proof stocks, they come in around 19 ozs and are a nice stock already inlet for a CF wrapped barrel. I had 2 rifles built using a Defiance Machine Rebel action - if you order it right its about 25 ozs for a short action. I went with a Hawkins bottom metal and a Bartlein #4 contour CF barrel for the build and the rifle naked come in just under 6 lbs so its doable if you pick the right parts. With a Nightforce NXS compact I'm still only at 7.5lbs so pretty good for a all out hunting rig.

Just got my Tikka T3 hunter set done a couple months ago. Bartlien CF 22" #4 in 6.5CM, XLR Element 4.0 folder, Timney CE, Spuhr direct fit 34mm hunting mount, 3x15 Steiner M5XI (could get something lighter but it's bomb proof), Spartan tall adjustable bipod with Arc mag. w/o ammo just under 10lbs total It's a hammer thanks to DMR, group of a pet load used for brake in. (other photo w/4x16 P series but swapped on M5)

Attachments

• KIMG0128.JPG
    KIMG0128.JPG
    527.5 KB · Views: 54
  • KIMG0091.JPG
    KIMG0091.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 54