• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

recoil .260 vs .308

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
getting things ready for a build. This will be my do all rifle deer paper ghogs and shoot for beer money rig. But most of all I plan on spending alot of time shoting with my daughter. She is min of pie plate with her pink cricket. But she just turned 5 and is doing well. So I'm keeping her in mind with this build. I don't want to give accuarcy up at all. My worry is recoil the platform will be a McMillian HTG stock and 20" barrel. I would like to know from the .260 owners what recoil is like? If I go with .308 I would probably look at one of the better brakes. Would really like to spot our own hits with this rig, almost no recoil. The contour of barrel will be sendero weight of rig around 10 lbs. Just seeing what you guys think?

Re: recoil .260 vs .308

The recoil is pretty close to the same between these 2. If you were going to put a break on the 308 for her then I would do the same for the 260.

When I started my 2 sons. I did not run brakes or anything. I just made sure they was ready first by shooting 22s a lot. Once they could shoot groups. I moved on to bigger and better things. A 20" gun will have more muzzle blast. I don't know but at the age of 5, I would think but don't know. You mostly want to have fun. A 223 would be my first choice at that age. I let my first son shoot out a 243 first. Then I built him a 260.

My point is buy a factory 223 with a cheaper scope with turrets to dial. And start them on dialing they turrets and cheaper to shoot. The big thing at that age is trigger time. They can shoot a 223 all day and not get tried. This is my 2 cents. Good luck and Glad to see you helping the younger generation.

I've shot a lot of .260, and the question has a lot of answers; as many as the differences between shooting 142gr bullets at 1000yd and 95gr bullets at 300-400. With the .260, this is a real set of options. For others, maybe not so much.

IMHO, your real issue is going to relate to LOP.

Greg

I say my .260 has half the recoil of my 5R. 50 rounds through the 5R and I feel it for a day or two. I think I could shoot the barrel out of my .260 before my shoulder was sore.

Wieght of the rifle has a big difference in felt recoil, my 700p when brand new used to beat me up pretty good, I added 4lbs of lead shot to the hollow cavity in the HS-P stock, and it turned into a cream puff, my rebuilt 308 now tips the scale around 15lbs and my 260 is around 16.5lbs, both have Tubb T2K muzzle brakes, with the brake off my 260 kicks about the same as my 308 with brake on, my 260 with my Shark Surppressor on has slightly more recoil than with the Tubb brake on. So add wieght, and a muzzle brake, and recoil for a child will be a none issue.

I think you're pushing.

In 5 or 7 years, a downloaded .260 with a gooey recoil pad will be fine, and there's a significant jump in recoil to .308.

For a 5 year old, or for the next several years, a Hornet, .221 Fireball, or lightly loaded .223 will be best (or I hear Savage is about to start shipping two different 5.7s).

Or save a bunch of money. A .308 will be the last gun you ever have to buy her.

She'll only shoot it once, but you'll save a bunch of money.

A .260 is going to be a little to mush IMO. My .260 doesn't kick that much less (with 142smk) than my .308 (with 168smk). I would look into a .22 or .223 at the most. Just my opinion.

Gotta 22" 260 Rem 700 DM Mountain (very light and compact rifle skinny barrel) it's still nice to shoot compared to my .308 700P. I don't think I'd let anyones daughter under 12 shoot it though. And even then I'd let them shoot a 95 gr vmax with a minimum charge. However she could shoot an AR (223) today. Just one guys opinion....

My eight-year old son loves shooting his .22lr rifle (CZ 452 Scout). One afternoon while shooting together, he insisted that he wanted to shoot my .223 AI. Since it's kinda heavy (never weighed it; A-3/5, 24" Varmint contour, Leupy 4.5-14 Mark 4, Badger M-5 DBM, etc.) I thought it might be okay, but the LOP is WAY off for him. Showed him how it still doesn't quite fit, and promised to give it to him after he buys his first car. Now he's happy. Wouldn't dream of putting him behind the .260 or .308 yet.

The best hearing protection you can muster is absolutely essential! Keep the shooting sessions short, so they are still lots of fun, and not something to get tired of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott E White</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My eight-year old son loves shooting his .22lr rifle (CZ 452 Scout). One afternoon while shooting together, he insisted that he wanted to shoot my .223 AI. Since it's kinda heavy (never weighed it; A-3/5, 24" Varmint contour, Leupy 4.5-14 Mark 4, Badger M-5 DBM, etc.) I thought it might be okay, but the LOP is WAY off for him. Showed him how it still doesn't quite fit, and promised to give it to him after he buys his first car. Now he's happy. Wouldn't dream of putting him behind the .260 or .308 yet.

The best hearing protection you can muster is absolutely essential! Keep the shooting sessions short, so they are still lots of fun, and not something to get tired of. </div></div>

+1
My son just turned 7 and he is no where near being able to shoot a .260 let alone a .308win.

He has been shooting a 22lr since he was 4. He has shot a 223 a few times, but he is not quite ready for a 223 range session. We usually do some 22lr with either a few rounds of 22WMR or 17HMR mixed in.
But whatever you decide make sure that you get some great earmuffs, muzzle blast and noise are what effects him the most.

He will have a few rifles to choose from when he is ready. But that probably wont be for a few more years to come.

You have a good point my 5 yr old boy can pull the trigger on my Ar out in the middle of nowhere (accomplishing nothing other than to satisfy his curiosity) but a range session would never work at a " Range " and my girls 8 & 9 still can't see through a scoped Savage .17 HMR very well. The stock is just way to big and they can't get behind it. Looks like I need a cricket or something similar.

You should look at the CZ Scout. It looks and feels like a real rifle. Nothing like a cricket.

Here's some recoil numbers on the 2 calibers with your 10 lb rifle:

260 with 140 grain at 2850
11 ft lbs at 8 fps
For a 120 grain at 2950, it's 10 ft lbs at 8 fps

308 with 175 at 2700
14 ft lbs at 9 fps
(same recoil numbers with a 155 at 2900 fps)

You can check the recoil numbers HERE

To reduce recoil, you have to decrease bullet weight and speed. In this case, the reduction in bullet weight for the 260 is decreasing the recoil. There is a noticable difference in recoil shooting a 308 vs. a 260. It's not bad for either one (since I like magnums anyway), but the 308 has more felt recoil.

Not a huge difference, but I can shoot a 260 heavy barreled rifle all day and a 308 for maybe 100 or so rounds.

Reduced Recoil Loads for kids and new shooters!!!

My sons first game rifle was a 30-06. He was small for his size when he got it but I found some reduced load data and he shoots it all day like its a 22lr.
If you want some real light loads try Trail Boss Powder. It will tame almost any caliber. Its almost too light for the 30-06 as there is no recoil with it.

What ever you do, don't buy those light weight single shot rifles like the Rossi youth 20g/243win combo's for a young shooter. The recoil of the light weight rifle with 20g and 243 made it very painful for even me to shoot. I wondered why the boy started to cry after one shot...and after I shot it it went back to the gun store.

The trick is to start with a load like Trail Boss and work your way up to full loads over a number of years. My son chose to use full load factory 30-06 loads this year. Last year he used Rem Reduced Recoil loads and he said the recoil was not bad with full loads. Now if he was to at a young age shoot the 30-06 with a full load, he most likely would not want a 30-06 now.

I sold my 308's as I didn't care for the recoil. I wanted a 260 but settled with a 6.5x55 and could not be happier. I can shoot the 6.5x55 all day long.

Thanks guys I think we will just shoot the lights out of this cricket and then go to a small .223 Then well see how she does with that, and if she doesn't get into boys to yound and still wants to hunt will go for there. Kind of feel like the clock is ticking for what time she'll spend with me and think shooting is cool.

The 260 has a little less recoil in my experience, but not enoug to make that much of a difference.

If you base the project on a commonly available rifle model, you might want to consider buying a second inexpensive stock that can be cut down to accomodate the youngster's shorter LOP requirements. Cut it back short enough to cap it off with a slip-on recoil pad. Later, when they grow out of it, put the original back on. Might be a good investment.

Greg

100 Ballistic tips, 2600-2700 fps, no more, and likely less than the same gun in 243........

That will kill to 200 yds or so w/shot placement. Practice can be done w/85s.

Yep, that's 260. I never owned a 308, never needed one for what I do, nor it's recoil.

YMMV

I don't step in often, but because I have a young daughter that instantly became infatuated with shooting I want to add my 2 cents worth. She started on a Gamo springer and rapidly moved on to an old "Monkey Wards" .22 that I restored to better than new for her. She is currently working that gun and I will move her on to my Savage .17HMR which is plenty of gun for a sub 10 yr old and one of my personal favorites as well. Then the .223 etc. etc. etc. I am a firm beliver of "baby steps" so the shooter never becomes intimadated and loses interest.....but if by age 14 she isn't shooting the .308 she must not be mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boboss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....but if by age 14 she isn't shooting the .308 she must not be mine. </div></div>

Hilarious!!!!
laugh.gif

FWIW, alot of folks have used 223s w/Barnes TSX bullets with great success on deer. If one has a 223, it's a low recoil option to hunt...and effectively to sane ranges w/shot placement.

One could build a 308 load if that is cartridge at hand, using a 125 Ballistic tip, or even the 125 Corelokt. Used in TC Contender around 2,000 mv, the BTs will blow on anything semi-tough, but broadside in deer, they'd wipe out the lungs. I'd load fairly mild based on my test thru a mix of media. The CL likely will hold up better, as would the Speer 130 Magtips. All capable on deer in reduced loads.

125BT or 130 Speer HP @ 2400fps are great on chest shots on Texas whitetails to 200yd. These are over max loads in 20' Ruger77MKII 7.62x39. Cases didn't set back until max loads were arrived at. I went higher, but nothing changed, just a little primer flattening, so I went back down close to "max".