• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil comparison

jig-n-pop

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2022
NC
Hi all - new to rifle shooting and found a lot of great info on this site (thanks for that!). I have a specific question that I can't seem to find the answer to after a lot of searching. I've read (a lot) of articles that say 6.5 CM has less recoil than 308 and my thought is that has to do with the fact that 308 is capable of much higher grain bullets. So now the question - if I had the same model rifle shooting a 150gr 308 and the other shooting 147gr 6.5CM, would there be a noticeable difference in recoil? I did notice 308 shoots that round about 100fps faster so is that why 308 will aways have higher recoil?

For all practical purposes, I do not think you are going to notice any difference. To figure out the recoil, I would look at data on energy a the muzzle, or even at 100 yards, not the speed. But, all things being equal, E=(MV^2)/2, so the velocity has quite a bit to do with Energy, as it is squared. Here, your mass is relatively the same, and you have a small change in velocity, so the .308 has greater energy, which will give it greater recoil in the same weight gun. But, not much.

0130F5D6-E5EA-4DF7-AAFD-0CC3772EC5D0.png
6356B1E0-C9D5-47C1-ADDF-AF49FF58105D.png

Reactions: DJL2
This is great, thanks! However, my only experience is with an AR so no idea on the difference between 13.19 vs 11.49lbs. Is 1.7lbs significant? I guess this also assumes what ever rifle I buy "likes" 150gr ammo.
Whats significant to me is that you can hardly find a 140+ grain 6.5 bullet that has a bc anywhere near as shitty as the best 150 gr .308 bullets. So while recoil numbers will be similar, drop and drift numbers will not be.

Reactions: AllenOne1
Take a 308 AR and load 175g and 155g in the same mag. Youll instantly be able to tell wich is wich. Not sure it would be ad drastic with a bolt gun due to dwell time with the gas system.

I should have mentioned it's a 5.56 AR, and the new range I joined maxes out at 450yds

Ever think about a .243 if recoil is of a concern? It should be able to take down hogs.

Also there is a difference 'felt' in 'free recoil' force between a light rifle and a heavy rifle.

Case in point, way back when, there was a fellow shooter that came to a couple matches with a 300 meter International rifle that weighed less than the 5.5kg. which was the maximum allowed for that discipline. It was a beautiful rifle that most likely should have been in a show case but instead it was on the firing line a target next to me. He was shooting M118 White Box (the old 173 gr FMJ BT) and voiced his displeasure with the recoil making his shoulder sore and after two days of shooting he had a noticeable bruise starting to form on his shoulder. In retrospect I remember thinking his rifle' jumped' a bit upon firing and also he was wearing a canvas shooting coat over a t-shirt as opposed to a leather coat over a heavier shirt like a sweater.

I was shooting the same caliber, .308 but with heavier bullets at the 600 yr. stage and had not such shoulder discomfort or bruise. It could have been the difference in his equipment or the way he held the rifle against his shoulder that affected him that way.

Thanks. The rifles I'm looking at are around 9lbs and seems 6.5CM and 308 most popular. My main concern with recoil has to do many cortisone shots in the shoulder over the years and hoping my kids enjoy it so lighter recoil would be a bonus. They may or may not like shooting regardless of caliber so if I ignore recoil, then it's a matter of barrel life and less expensive plinking ammo for the 308 vs 6.5 CM. Match grade ammo seems to be same price for either caliber.

You might want to try holding the butt of the rifle a little closer to the left or on the fat/muscle pad a bit off center from the nook/cranny that most people put the rifle butt into. Maybe a change in position on your shoulder might be more comfortable.

Also at the 200 yard stage of a match (both slow and rapid fire) I shoot the Speer 130 grain HP flat base. I bough a bunch of them when other weight bullets were in short supply, go figure, and as luck would have it they shot great with the added benefit of being cheaper and noticing less recoil especially during the off hand stage.

You might want to try holding the butt of the rifle a little closer to the left or on the fat/muscle pad a bit off center from the nook/cranny that most people put the rifle butt into. Maybe a change in position on your shoulder might be more comfortable.

Also at the 200 yard stage of a match (both slow and rapid fire) I shoot the Speer 130 grain HP flat base. I bough a bunch of them when other weight bullets were in short supply, go figure, and as luck would have it they shot great with the added benefit of being cheaper and noticing less recoil especially during the off hand stage.
Will try that.

Now if you Really want to go down the rabbit hole, and who doesn't, go with a slower burning powder as opposed to a faster one. There was once a line of thinking that a faster burning powder would spike/kick quicker and hence 'harder' because it consumed itself 'faster' where as the slower powder kind of 'eased' into ignition, therefore allowed the bullet to sort of 'saunter' down the barrel and not kick as hard.

I have no empirical data on that only what a number of learned shooters and barrel makers would talk about in the pits or after a match while sitting around the camp fire sipping a beer.

I'll be buying off the shelf for awhile. That said, if I get into this half as much as offshore fishing, I'm sure reloading is in my future.

I had the same dilemma 10 years ago. Bought Tikka varmint in 308. The recoil was awful even with the muzzle brake. Sold it and built a custom rifle- 16lbs in 6.5CM with a muzzle brake. Recoil is not a problem any more.

Reactions: jig-n-pop
Thanks everyone. Seems 6.5CM is the way to go.

Now I'll get stuck in analysis paralysis figuring out if I want the Bergara HMR or Savage Axis II Precision. 😀

Savage Axis II Precision.
🤢

I’m a Bergara Premier fan (not B14), but even a Premier compared to a Tikka, I’d get a Tikka. The Tikka action is made with accurately enough that one can buy prefits for it (no gunsmith to change barrels).

Different Tikka bolts can be bought by Ling Rifles Inc (LRI). I used to not be a fan, but now I am.

Get a new Super Varmint for ~$1550 and be happy. Here’s one vendor, comes in different calibers, obviously (6.5cm OOS at the moment): https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x...65-CM-PIC-SS-237-MT-5rd-Rifle-JRTXRSV382.aspx

Reactions: Oldmauser
Saw Tikka in my searches and read great things (I like the UPR), but limiting myself to $1k

Recoil is not a factor when choosing between 308 and 6.5. I've got several of both and its just not a thing. Especially as the rifles get heavier.

Even with the calculator its only a 10% difference. If you can "feel" that difference, you are probably selling something because between my ARs, M1As, and Bolts, its all about the same.

Pick a caliber on ballistics and use case. Right now its tough to find a use case for 308 Win.

You don't want a Savage. Get a Tikka. If you want to stick your head in the sand, get the Bergara. Its not bad, its just Tikka will be better for the same price. Yes its over your budget. But only by $100. You'll spend that on rings.

Reactions: carbonbased
I tried a hellfire brake on a 6.5 Creed Bergara Approach. I didn't care for it. Maybe it was mostly the sound, but I thought it made the recoil more of a snap than a thump, but it didn't feel like less to me.

That was my assumption and hard to know w/o firing both. Some say there's a significant difference and others say there isn't. 308 plinking ammo is 25% less than 6.5 so I was leaning 308 so I could shoot more, but if 308 kicks a lot more than my old man shoulder wouldn't like it.

I wish Tikka was same price as Bergara. From what I see the Bergara HMR in 6.5 CM can be had for under $1k on GunBroker. Tikka UPR are $1300+ if you're lucky.

That was my assumption and hard to know w/o firing both. Some say there's a significant difference and others say there isn't. 308 plinking ammo is 25% less than 6.5 so I was leaning 308 so I could shoot more, but if 308 kicks a lot more than my old man shoulder wouldn't like it.

I wish Tikka was same price as Bergara. From what I see the Bergara HMR in 6.5 CM can be had for under $1k on GunBroker. Tikka UPR are $1300+ if you're lucky.
Like DocRds said, pick based on ballistics. You have a short range available to you, so no need to even consider the 147. Shoot 120’s, recoil goes down, speed goes way up, and the Bc is still better than the 308/150 combo. Even with the light bullet, it wipes the floor with the 308.

Thanks everyone. Seems 6.5CM is the way to go.

Now I'll get stuck in analysis paralysis figuring out if I want the Bergara HMR or Savage Axis II Precision. 😀
Just go 6.5 CM running 140 ELDM's around 2800-2850, and shoot as much as you can afford to. Everything else will take care of itself