• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recoil Lug Newb ?

GreyShirts

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
Oklahoma
I recently purchased a NIB Remmy .308 5R, but I'm buying aftermarket parts to make it "better". I'm thinking about replacing the current(factory) recoil lug. My question is.... will any recoil lug other than what came from the factory change the head spacing or cause me to change something else? I don't claim to know a lot about how guns work, internals, ect., but I do know how to use them. If I'm asking the question wrong or am completely off base please help me to understand better. The reason I ask is because someone told me "if you change the recoil lug, it will change your head spacing, and require mil work." Thanks in advance for the insight.

Re: Recoil Lug Newb ?

unless your new lug is the same thickness as your old one, then you will most likely need to cut the shoulder of your barrel back and thread the barrel longer to make up for the difference, unless of course the new lug is thinner, then you will need to cut your chamber deeper to reset your head space. Bear in mind I am still learning myself and there is a high probability that I am wrong so don't take my word for it.

first of all, why would you want to change your recoil lug when you aren't doing other barrel work? that is a part you either have surface ground or replaced when you install a new barrel. you are not going to gain anything by changing the factory lug when using a factory barrel.

next, although not the only thing that does, the thickness of the lug certainly does affect headspace. if you changed a recoil lug to anything other than the exact same thickness as what you are replacing, headspace will be different.

my advice is to leave it alone and shoot it. before you go changing parts, know what is the defect and how the part you are installing is going to fix it. don't just go changing parts blindly.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not just changing parts blindly. I have been consulting a smith before every purchase and putting a lot of consideration into it. I was on the fence about the recoil lug, and knew it was one of those unneeded upgrades unless I was doing more with the barrel side of it. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding him correctly.

If the lug was thicker it would change the head spacing and require machine work on the barrel tenon. If you are having a new barrel installed have the recoil lug for you gunsmith to account for the takeout when he is cutting the threads.

What's wrong with the 0.50-0.75MOA that most people are getting from their 5Rs?

I've had a 700 5-R Milspec in .308 for over three years now. The LAST thing I'd change to make it better would be the recoil lug.

Out of the box mine was shooting .250" groups at 100 yards, once I found "it's load".

Since then the only things I've done is to replace the factory X-Mark Pro trigger with a Timney as I couldn't stand the adjusting screw rubbing on my finger and bedding the action.

Yeah, I know, those aluminum action blocks are supposed to eliminate the need but funny thing, when I added "riser shims" to the action screw holes and bedded the action, including an area 2" forward of the recoil lug my best group was suddenly .191" or a 25% improvement.