• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recoil Lug questions

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
I just got my custom rifle back. It is chambered in 308, and I currently have a AICS 2.0 stock on it. I took off the AICS skins to get a better look at rifle, and saw that where the Recoil Lug is seated something may possibly be wrong. As you can see in the pictures there is ALOT of light that you can see. It looks as if there is not much contact area between the Lug and Receiver. Does this look normal to you guys, or is there something wrong?

Thanks!

1323312133410.jpg

1323312129693.jpg

1323312127805.jpg

13233121249291024x577.jpg

Re: Recoil Lug questions

Loosen the guard screws and pull the barreled action to the rear and torque it down. I use 65 inch pounds and have never had a problem. Your lug looks normal in the photo. The only way to really have a zero clearance fit is to bed the lug area. Just torque it, run it, be happy.

yep. start the screws and stand the rifle vertically resting on the butt pad. snug the front screw, snug the rear screw, torque the front screw and then finally torque the rear screw.

as long as the top is making contact, i wouldn't loose any sleep over it. the bottom of that lug isn't doing any work anyways.

Thanks Wnroscoe. I did what you said, and it appears the gaps are still the same. Im guessing as long as the Lug is touching somewhere on the receiver I should be GTG..... I hope lol.

If you cant get it to seat good with extra play in action screws you can always throw a little devcon or marine tex in and just bed the lug.