• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil Management/NPA

Quest1000

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
I went to the range yesterday to practice my fundamentals. I was shooting prone at 500 yards with a Harris bipod on concrete and a rear bag. Not ideal situation but the best option I have. I’m shooting a Savage model 10T (Cabela’s) 6.5 Creedmoor sitting in an XLR Element chassis. This is a non brake rifle.

I would get the rifle on target, close my eyes for a breathe cycle then open. If the reticle was in the same spot I would take the shot. After the shot the the reticle would consistently be on the left edge of the 12” plate, which again is at 500 yards.

I had my shoulders relaxed, pulled the rifle into the pocket and had my support hand holding the bag and pinching the rifle butt stock. I was able to see the impacts.

Is this a result of not being able to load the bipod and shooting on concrete or is it my fundamentals? Is this typical margin of error with this situation? Would having an atlas bipod help return the reticle to center? I’m looking at getting the PSR version.

My vertical spread was under an inch, but the wind was gusting so the horizontal varied. First time shooting with that type of wind.

Assuming youre a right handed shooter. Could the rifle be moving backward after the shot or is it possible that you could have added shoulder presure (trying to load the bipods) after the shot.

A positional change from center to 1moa left isnt a lot and can be worked with.

I do believe that the overall issue lies somewhere with consstant shoulder pressure and rifle position (jump/recoil). So solutions? With out seeing you shoot, make sure you’re straight behind the rifle and that your body is relaxed before and after shooting. Recoil is going to happen so allow it to happen and don't try to “manage” it to the pont where your are trying to be a vise for the rifle.

Reactions: Quest1000
Thanks for the input!

It’s possible I’m not directly behind the rifle and maybe driving with my shoulder. I will be sure to watch those two points. Especially loading with my core.

I will get someone to take a pic or video to help study what’s going on.

I started my long range journey about two years ago. Every range session I’m trying to apply something new I’ve learnt, gathering equipment as I go!

Reactions: Wlfdg
You're not that far off. It'll never be always perfect on recoil.

Test to see if your torso is square to the gun by watching where your elbows are when you go to pull the gun into your shoulder and dead weight it forward. Your shoulders/elbows should be square; I used to catch myself cheating by increasing the shoulder angle this way.

Good advice here. Hint: a brake will help a lot more than an Atlas bipod. If you already have a brake, don't bother changing bipods, change yourself.

Reactions: Quest1000
You're not that far off. It'll never be always perfect on recoil.

That’s good to hear. I wasn’t sure if this was close or not. I will pay attention to my elbow placement on the shots. Sometimes My left elbow will creep forward.

Good point. I should get a brake.
My only warning with this would be the type of brake you get should be dictated by how you handle rifle concussion. Some people flinch because of recoil and some flinch because of concussion. An aggressive brake like an APA Fat Bastard will cut down on recoil by a bunch but will increase the concussion you experience a lot too. I happen to dislike aggressive brakes because of the added concussion, but it varies by shooter. Many people swear by the Area 419 Hellfire for instance.

To elaborate, by aggressive I mean that the brake has ports angled back at an angle towards the shooter. Some brakes have their ports facing at a 90 degree angle to the shooter and you will experience less concussion because of that. Some brakes, such as the Hellfire or APA, have ports facing back at an angle (say 30 degrees for instance) and will do slightly better on recoil but will increase the sound/concussion at the shooter's ear.

I personally used an Insite Arms Heathen brake (first port is 90 degrees) when I used a muzzle brake and I liked it a lot. I now exclusively use suppressors for any shooting I do.

Thanks for the information. I really haven’t looked into brakes before, so that is very valuable. I was looking at the area419 brakes. I’ve never shot a brakes rifle so I don’t know how it will affect my flinch.