• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil on 338LM rifles

rpk762

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Little town now east of Bismarck
I have been reading a lot on this forum and I keep seeing where people say the 33LM recoils much more than the average person needs. I have seen lots of vids on YouTube and it looks like the AW and TRG, rem 700 rifles in 338LM do have quite a bit of recoil. That could easily be poor position.

I have a AR-30 in 338LM and it has a metal butt plate. It recoils less, far less than my rem700 .308Winchester in an AICS stock. I have fired a rem700 that was chambered in 338LM that did have a good push. It did not have such a recoil that would prevent me from shooting 10 or 20 shots. The dust it kicked up would prevent me from shooting it that many times.

So how do these other rifles rate on recoil?

Re: Recoil on 338LM rifles

In my limited experience with precision rifles, I'd say there are two aspects of the firing event that influence the shooter:

Recoil
Muzzle blast

Obviously, the recoil is the rifle reacting opposite the mass that just accelerated and launched out of the barrel. The blast is really only perceived, and isn't a force or impulse that acts on the shooter.

However, I've found that blast DOES affect me. I think it affects me as much as recoil, perhaps more!

The Remmy 700 in 338LM that I have has fairly heavy recoil, and the brake creates a shockwave of blast that hits me in the face and is VERY disruptive. I find it very difficult to overcome this blast and shoot the rifle well.

The TRG42 in 338LM I have has serious recoil without the brake, and I find I can fire it 5-10 times unbraked before I start to get uncomfortable and develop a flinch. I have the NEAR brake for it, which I find to be an excellent brake. It reduces the recoil impulse almost to zero. The blast it creates is significant, but does a good job at directing it away from the shooter. I feel it influences me very little, if at all.

Hope this helps.

My GAP .338LM has a Badger FTE brake, and pushes kinda like a 12g. Not bad at all. Lightweight deer rifles are worse when it comes to recoil.

The muzzle blast, on the other hand, is no fun - even if I'm wearing both plugs and muffs.

Easiest way to tame recoil on the 338LM is to shoot light bullets 200 to 250 grains and use a good break and soft buttpad. You can wimp it down pretty good for the little guys. Of course you aren't going to get the downrange ballistics that you would pushing a 300 grain bullet at 2800 FPS.
laugh.gif

I see it is muzzel blast that people must be talking about. I shoot a almost max load of H1000 and a 300gr SMK out of mine. The break on a AR-30 is outstanding and it is actualy feels like a 223. The blast is also directed away from me so it does not seem that bad.

I wonder if the people who say the 338LM kicks too much have even shot one?

Recoil is an INCREDIBLY SUBJECTIVE thing. I know plenty of folks who believe that a .308 Win is enough recoil to make shooting unpleasant after 15-20 rounds whereas I personally think the .308 is prettymuch a softy when it comes to recoil. Perception = Reality.

The same thing is true, to a certain extent, with the larger, heavier recoiling magnums (whether 300WM, 300 Weatherby, 338WM, 338LM, etc.). Yes...there is unquestionably MORE actual, and most of the time, more perceived recoil than with smaller cartridges shooting lighter bullets.

Many things effect the amount of perceived recoil, including:

1) individual shooting the rifle(s) (and their level of experience with heavier recoiling rifles, their level of training in general which will effect how they setup on the rifle and how well they are positioned on the rifle to deal with the recoil, etc.);
2) weight of the rifle;
3) type of muzzle device (none, brake...good vs. poor design, suppressor);
4) length of barrel (shorter barrels on larger magnum rifles can create a LOT more noise/muzzle blast/blowback that can make recoil seem substantially greater);
5) kind of ammo being used (whether factory, handloads...and how hot they are being pushed...and what weight bullets are being used...heavier bullet generally = more perceived recoil).

As for the "338LM recoils much more than the average person needs..." comment...well that is again a pretty subjective and a broad, sweeping generalization.

Three things you should contemplate.

F=MA

KE = 1/2 MVV

and

M1V1 = M2V2

A gun that launches a projectile with 5,000 ft-lbs of Muzzle Energy is going to have a LOT of "recoil" A heavy gun will "absorb" that recoil better. There are other methods of distributing and diminishing that recoil (brakes, thick sorbothane butt pads), it's all what you're used to.

I have a Savage 110 BA in .338LM and the recoil is about the same as my .308 Win.

The 110 BA is about 15 pounds which helps. Also the muzzle break cuts recoil by about 35% (I believe).

The muzzle break on the Savage diverts the gas upwards, so that it does not kick up dust. It also helps prevent muzzle flip.

When I am behind the gun, I never feel a hot blast and can barely hear the gun. Other shooters tell me their is quite a blast and it is loud, but that muzzle break keep it away from me.

The gun is a joy to shoot. If someone paid for my ammo and was willing to buy me a new barrel, I would shoot it all day.

I am surprised that by this point no one has mentioned supressors.

I have a Surgeon Remedy in 338LM that I shot while waiting on my supressor. No brake, heavy, heavy rifle ~23 pounds. Still was not pleasant to shoot and could only do about 15 or so rounds at a sitting without starting to flinch. I put around 150 rounds total through the rifle while waiting for the supressor paperwork to clear. After getting the supressor it is like shooting an unbraked .308. I can shoot it all day until my money/ammo runs out.

The other thing with the supressor is it completely cuts out the overpressure issues with the .338. After firing 20 or so rounds unsupressed and unbraked I would be getting a splitting headache - I have some significant sinus issues, and the overpressure was killing me.Oh and this was double plugged(custom ear plugs and -28db muffs over top)

Now, supressed, no headache and like I said I can shoot until the ammo runs out without headaches.

I highly suggest looking into a supressor and getting the paperwork started. You can waste time and money in the interim trying to find a decent brake and recoil pad, but the supressor WILL fix the issues with recoil and muzzle overpressure when it finally arrives. That is assuming you get a quality can.

madd0c

personally i have a AI AW in 338lm with a 2 stage muzzle brake and i could shoot all day long w/o a problem

i guess one can truly only judge once they have proper experience