• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Recoil springs and limp wristing.

Natep

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2009
Central, MO
I have a buddy that has a Beretta 92 and his wife always limp wrists it and it has a malfunction. Does anybody know if replacing the recoil spring with a heavier one can help with this problem? Thanks guys.

Re: Recoil springs and limp wristing.

I'm no pistol smith but I'd actually think it would need a lighter, not a heavier spring. Limp wristing is not giving the pistol the proper platform to recoil against, and any change to the platform would only be a waste of time and money not to mention being unsafe.

I have a lot of time teaching new shooters with the M9/92FS pistols and limp wristing is one of the only things that causes the pistols to malfunction (along with no oil). Teach the shooter how to do it right, not put a crutch on bad technique to further reinforce piss poor fundamentals.

I honestly am not completely sure, but it seems to me if you put a heavier recoil spring in, you'd get worse malfunction problems because her hand is following the gun backwards so a heavier spring would make the issue worse if i'm thinking is correct... Best bet is to make her practice more until she doesn't limp wrist, can't tune a gun around something as inconsistent as limp wristing...

I was thinking the exact same thing! However i thought id see if anybody here has any experience with this. Maybe a lighter recoil spring?

Like I said earlier, I have a lot of experience with it. I've trained hundreds of shooters, male and female of varying nationalities with that pistol. Train the shooter to shoot it right. I absolutely would not lighten the recoil spring as that can cause an unsafe condition with the weapon or at the least quicken the wear and tear on it.

Whenever teaching a new pistol shooter in how to shoot, I always start with proper grip as without that the rest of the fundamentals are meaningless.

A lighter recoil spring is not going to make it unsafe unless the lockup is super sloppy. Also, a recoil spring isn't really designed to slow the slide down that much as it moves rearward, so it's not going to increase the wear and tear on the pistol in any significant way--that comes more from choice of ammo than anything else.

I do think that a lighter spring makes the gun LESS reliable though. A spring stores energy. A lighter spring will store less energy to help it feed.

A heavier spring will decrease reliability IF the spring is already so heavy that the slide doesn't cycle all the way, but my experience with tiny, blowback guns with very light slides suggests that even a brutally heavy recoil spring will allow the slide to cycle all the way, and it's therefore unlikely that a recoil spring, unless grossly extreme, could be heavy enough to cause short-stroking.

There are other consequences from springs that are too heavy though, with respect to timing and felt recoil.

I'd probably clean the gun and install a new, factory-weight recoil spring, and consider hotter ammo.

As mentioned a "heavier" recoil spring would most likely make the condition worse. Yes, you could tune the pistol with a lighter recoil spring and it would help the pistol cycle more effectively if she is indeed limp wristing. That's why you'll find a broad range of recoil spring weights in used 1911 pistols. More importantly, as mentioned she really needs to correct her technique with the firearm as modifying the pistol only treats the symptom, not the cause. Proper grip/grip pressure, stance, and follow through would be a permanent solution she could use with any handgun.