• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Recomendations for a new .40...

KRAKER

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
I'm looking for a new pistolie in .40SW. I have a Berretta model 96 chambered in .40 that I love, however as near as I can determine Berretta doesn't make it anymore, so if I shoot it up I could have a real hard time finding parts. So I've been shopping around for something I can shoot the piss out of an not care If I need to replace anything. I've been down to the local gunshop and finger fucked a few. I have decided that I will most likly chose a SW-MP.40 or a Sig226, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'm looking for resons why I should or shouldn't get the S&W-MP40 or Sig226. Thanks for your advice.

Re: Recomendations for a new .40...

I handled the Springfield and didn't care for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRAKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I handled the Springfield and didn't care for it. </div></div>

XD or XDm model? Just making sure...

Sig, S&W, Glock, HK, FN, Springfield are all good. Handle/shoot a few and see what you like best.

If you plan to shoot the shit out of why not get a 9mm??

My vote goes for the ultra reliable "plastic piece of shit"

Glock 22 if you gotta have the 40.

I've got a 92 that has lord knows how many rounds through it and it still runs good , I've only replaced the recoil spring I can't see you killing the 96

Unless the ability to conceal is needed, I vote Glock 35

I bought the 96 when it first came out over ten years ago just before the Clinton ban, at the time I was looking at the Browning High power but elected to go with the Beretta. I estimate I have over 10,000rds through it and never had a single stoppage, not even a stovepipe. As far as Glocks go I have a Kahr P9 for my carrygun, after owning a Kahr I won't even look at a Glock! That is to say the Kahr is so sweet! they just do the ploymer thing so much better. I'm leaning toward the Sig, all metal, range gun. An associate of mine is an air marshall, he has fired a Gazzillion rounds through his Sig.357 and never had a problem.

The Springfield I handled was full size, not sure of the nomenclature. Just didn't like the feel of it.

JJones75-It's not that I think I will kill the 96, I intend to own it forever. I'm looking for something I can treat like a bitch, and not give a shit about, and if it breaks getting it fixed will be no problem.

That was why I asked, the newer XDm, "m" being for "match" barrel etc, has a different grip and feel to it than the standard model. The Xdm's shoot REAL well and the 40 holds 16+1 rounds. Might want to at least hunt someone down in your area and shoot one, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

JM2C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless the ability to conceal is needed, I vote Glock 35 </div></div>

All you need to know!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRAKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Springfield I handled was full size, not sure of the nomenclature. Just didn't like the feel of it. </div></div>

There are two entirely different pistols which will have totally different "feel." I'd definitely suggest you check them out.

But at the end of the day, my pick would be the M&P. It has a better trigger and better ergonomics than the Glock.

Glock 23, best of all worlds. Tough, easy to carry, accurate, reliable, and a ton of Glock Armors out there, parts o plenty.
At the end of the day, 499.99 it is a whole lota pistola.
Jason

Without trying to sound like a dickhead, price is not an issue. When it comes to firearms you will soon forget the price, but never forget the quality, especially when you concider that someday my guns will belong to my sons and then thier sons. Its worth mentioning that I don't own any $10,000 Beretta over-under shotguns or anything of that sort.

Of those two you mentioned get the sig. But get the elite version with SRT and beavertail. Otherwise Id get a glock over the SW

+1 for the XDM. The M is important
smile.gif

I've had a glock 35, and I, personally, prefer the XDM.

Regards,
Nate

The 226Elite looks slick, I handled an Equinox at the local shop, but I have to say that I liked the polymer grips on the regular 226 over the wood grip on the Equinox. The wood grip is noticably fatter. Has anyone delt with Sig's custom shop? I wonder if they will build me what I want. I'd like to see a 226USPSA in .40 but it looks like they only make it in 9mm. Now if I could only find someone who will let me take thiers for a test drive.

I'm a big Glock fan so I say 35/22/23. Will this be a carry piece? If you like a bigger model the 35 is awesome with the longer sight radius, it also make the gun balance better for me. Glocks are great b/c of all the aftermarket parts and barrel swapability.. and barrels are less than $100each for a 9mm and .357sig. Plus only $500 for a great gun.

Sigs are hard to beat as well. They ride higher in the hand than the Glock but are built super tough. There are some pretty wicked variants of the 226 out now that I wouldn't mind owning.

Don't own any of the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI </div></div> <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">+1</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRAKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is "STI"? </div></div>
Really popular with IPSC/USPSA competitors. I bought mine used a few years ago and wish I'd done so a long time ago.
http://www.stiguns.com/

An older pic. The grip was red when I bought it and I Kryloned it. The red was starting to show through.
IMG_0857.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was why I asked, the newer XDm, "m" being for "match" barrel etc, has a different grip and feel to it than the standard model. The Xdm's shoot REAL well and the 40 holds 16+1 rounds. Might want to at least <span style="font-weight: bold">hunt someone down in your area and shoot one</span>, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

JM2C </div></div>

Drmarc, that's an interesting way of testing a gun. KIDDING! Completely joking.
laugh.gif

Seriously, my vote for a plastic gun would be the M&P. I have an M&P 40c (compact) and I love it. It fits my hand better than Glocks and points perfectly naturally.
If you're already used to the SA/DA setup and like the metal guns, you can't go wrong with a Sig IMO. I recently shot my granddad's P239 and it was extremely accurate, even with me shooting it. I didn't care overmuch for the muzzle flip versus what I'm used to with my M&P, but it was still a very nice gun to shoot.
It really depends on what your preference is. Those are two totally different guns, but both of them are nice. I can't speak for the reliability of Sigs personally, but I haven't ever heard anyone complaining about how unreliable they are.
My M&P hasn't hiccupped since I've owned it, and I bought it in February I think. I don't really keep count but I can figure on over 1,000 rounds of FMJ and probably 400 rounds of JHP of all brands and qualities and it's been great to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quit being such a pussy and step up to 10mm. </div></div>

LOL Beat me to it
smile.gif

Get a G20

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quit being such a pussy and step up to 10mm. </div></div>

LOL Beat me to it
smile.gif

Get a G20 </div></div>

And a G29! ( I have both!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quit being such a pussy and step up to 10mm. </div></div>

LOL Beat me to it
smile.gif

Get a G20 </div></div>

And a G29! ( I have both!)
</div></div>

Yep, me too. I bought the 20 and got hooked on the round, so I got the 29 to carry...

Sig or HK if cost isnt an issue.
I hear good stuff on the FNH pistols.
I like the XDs trigger
Glock if you find the grip n trigger comfortable.
Not too fond of the SW M&P trigger, and had the same issue with a Walther P99
I dont think its fair to the 1911 to chamber it in anyhting but .40 ACP

Go shoot a Sig if you haven't already. One of my buddies has used one in law enforcement for a long time and recommended I check one out. I fucking love it. High quality, super reliable, comfortable. I especially like how Sig didn't go overboard and put three different safeties on their pistols like some makers. The decocker is all you need.
P.S. its deadly accurate.

S&w sigma. Its styled after glock. Cheap as balls. Its light. And it always goes bang nomatter what in it. Buy it for 300. and shoot till toyr finger falls off.

Seriously though, the xdm 40 is HARD to beat. I like the xd 9 i have...

Glock 35/23 depending on what size you want and it's use. The glock is ugly, it's grip angle annoys some, but the things are simple and they flat out run. The only ones I've seen that don't run have been screwed with by their owners or had aftermarket parts shoved in them. Parts and mags are everywhere, lots of accessories, tons of holster options etc.

XDM is also hard to beat. SIG's are hard to beat, though my understanding is that SIG's QC has been slipping as of late and they are not quite up to what they used to be. There are lots of good reliable .40's these days.

If you are worried about shooting something up and not being able to get parts I still lean toward the glock. They have been on the market in massive numbers for 15+ years. Even if they stopped making them today you could find parts for them for another 20 years. My money is still on the glock if you want something to shoot, beat the piss out of, and never worry about.

So many out there that I don't think you can go wrong with any of them if you stick to the main companies (Glock, Springfield, S&W, Sig, CZ). I am a big Glock fan so I would say any of their line of .40's. My favorite is the G35 but it is big (well long). I have a sig 229 in .40 but would prefer to trade it for a 226. I just prefer full sized guns. Now for CCW.. a G23 or 27 would be perfect if you like something smaller. I hear very good things about the S&W and XD lines as well. Shoot them all and see what works best for your hand and intentions.

Good luck and happy holidays.

my votes for HK USPc .40

great gun, feels "right" in my hand.

.02c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRAKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a new pistolie in .40SW. I have a Berretta model 96 chambered in .40 that I love, however as near as I can determine Berretta doesn't make it anymore, so if I shoot it up I could have a real hard time finding parts. So I've been shopping around for something I can shoot the piss out of an not care If I need to replace anything. I've been down to the local gunshop and finger fucked a few. I have decided that I will most likly chose a SW-MP.40 or a Sig226, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'm looking for resons why I should or shouldn't get the S&W-MP40 or Sig226. Thanks for your advice. </div></div>

I'm not going to tell you what my favourite pistol is, rather, I'm going to try to give an answer that is responsive to the way you worded your question. Glock. I like the G35 if the size isn't an issue.

Contrary to some above, I can't stand the Springfield XD series and is one of the few pistols I don't own a variant of. I have an SW Sigma, as someone suggested, but think it is a POS and would never buy another. Note, that the XD isn't necessarily a POS, it just feels completely wrong to me, personally. The Sigma, on the other hand, is a POS that does not feed reliably, at least in the example I own.

Might I also suggest you simply work really hard so you can afford to buy one of each? It's a great solution for the indecisive.

I started with 92FS and moved to a S&W 4013TSW. If the M&P isn't your cup of joe, then I'd recommend the TSW line. Incredible accuracy in a fairly compact package. Great carry firearm.

Robert

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmcalhany</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started with 92FS and moved to a S&W 4013TSW. If the M&P isn't your cup of joe, then I'd recommend the TSW line. Incredible accuracy in a fairly compact package. Great carry firearm.

Robert </div></div>

All of S&W's steel frame automatics have been discontinued for years, and for good reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRAKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JJones75-It's not that I think I will kill the 96, I intend to own it forever. I'm looking for something I can treat like a bitch, and not give a shit about, and if it breaks getting it fixed will be no problem. </div></div>

You just described a Glock. I love my 35 but the other .40 Glock are good too. If you can wait a month or two you can get the new G22 Gen 4 after the SHOT show. I've owned or at least used pretty much everything that has been mentioned and the Glock fits your criteria better than anything else. Many of the others are good and have their place but in the "beat up, abuse and easy to repair" category, Glock is unbeatable as yet.

I've had a Sig Pro for a few years and have loved it. I don't think you can go wrong with Sig.

Have you tried the Cougar in 40? You can get the Beretta or the Stoeger. If you have big hands they feel pretty good with lazer grips. UD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI </div></div>

+1, or else BHP .40

Have I missed the obvious in a preceeding post?

You say you already love the pasta machines...

No brainer then, get another 96...

Or a 92, it'll last longer in 9 and parts will be less of any issue considering the M9 is still, for better or worse, our Service Pistol.

They're both still around and fairly cheap when you shop around.

You say you're happy with the Kahr for CCW as well, so size obvious isn't an issue...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyrolater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Para Ord P16

</div></div>

That's my run 'n gun....