• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recomendations on air rifle for backyard pest control. Located in town.

I am going to get on my soap box a bit. As someone that has done this longer then most. IMHO mammals over squirrel size should be taken with something over .22. Everyone with a tick of honest in them will say they have a "flyer" once and a while even with the best guns.

It is not so much the gun or just the ammo, but everything added together.

There is also the ethical nature of a "clean kill". With a pellet gun you need to hit something in the animal that will hit the off switch. The hydrostatic shock of a pellet gun is nothing like a rimfire.

My personal limits are a .30 for larger mammals from above squirrel and top out at groundhog.....and I see groundhog as iffy, depending on the size of them. I have a real fat bastard....or one about to have babies I am after and that will be done with rimfire. The only place I used air rifles is inside the barns for starlings and mice.

Now people do it all day, 177 on whatever pest, all I am saying for me this is my limits. I will also only take the shot at or inside the range where 25 shots will go into a quarter sized target, get outside of that, well that specific rifle is limited to a range under that.

I use an old Crosman .22 multipump for inside the barn. It is easy to vary the power of the rifle so I don't go through the animal and damage the equipment behind.

All that said just my two bits, and I would check with your town, people are correct in some places shooting a red ryder is no different from shooting a 50bmg. If that is your area, check on cross bows as well, and again you don't need much to do what you want to do.

CCI Quiet segmented hollow point is quieter than a pellet gun out of a 20" or so barrel. Really need a good backstop as it will go through a gallon milk jug of water. Devastating wound channel as it segments into 3 pieces. Bang / flop.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
I live in a neighborhood and ain't about to shoot a firearm off, every one suggesting use a .22... lol

200w.gif

cops-im-calling-the-cops.gif

• Haha
Reactions: vinniedelpino
I have a Ruger Blackhawk Elite springer that is really fairly quiet with the right pellets and it's a tack driver at 25 yds. or so.It does have a muzzle device that I guess acts sort of like a suppressor.

Y’all are really shooting pests with a .177?

I shot a squirrel with a crossman once. Hit him right in front of the eyes. He jumped up about two feet, scurried around a fence and went up a tree.

I also caught a rat in a trap, put the muzzle of the pellet gun right to the back of its head and fired. Same thing. I wound up drowning him.

As far as I’m concerned, those things are useless for everything but dispatching beer cans and maybe small birds.

You might be thinking of BB gun/pellet gun multi pumps. These are around 8 fpe, maybe a hair more. More appropriate for birds, rats, etc, at close range.

Nowadays there are various power levels in 17 cal, along with heavier pellets, and slugs which are lead bullets.
I know of a 16gr pellet but I use a 13.4gr pellet for FT and used to use a 10.5gr pellet. It's a 19.8 fpe gun.
I used 7.9gr flat nose for paper in my lowest power Olympic match pellet guns which are almost 6fpe.
A Red Ryder BB gun is around 3 fpe to get a gauge on the power levels.

In the UK they are restricted to no more than 11.9 fpe unless licensed otherwise. That is enough power to kill various small game. They often do brain shots on rabbits.

A friend has a .17 cal Redwolf that sends 20.2 grain slugs at 975 fps. These would kill something as large as a coyote just fine. It's way more powerful than one might think. In fact he had no problem hitting my steel which is 14" tall x 10" wide at 200Y. Even hitting the 2" paddle on it occasionally.

Reactions: JJMoody