• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recommend a decent solid carbide boring bar for pre-drill chambers

AnimalMother224

maybe steel go ding
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2014
east side
having a hard time sourcing a decent solid carbide boring bar that is still relatively affordable. anyone have a go to shop to get one from?

what diameter is the bore the bar needs to fit into and how deep do you have to bore?

these are from a michigan company ultradex

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 8.15.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 8.15.29 PM.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 8.13.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 8.13.49 PM.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 36
1/4" after you pre-drill?

Second the Micro-100 offerings, but those ultra-skinny carbide bars snap purty easily (no idea how I came to know this) so light cuts are best.
I don't usually drill/bore before reaming, but when I do I drill as large as possible so I can use the most rigid bar that'll fit...

1/4" after you pre-drill?

Second the Micro-100 offerings, but those ultra-skinny carbide bars snap purty easily (no idea how I came to know this) so light cuts are best.
I don't usually drill/bore before reaming, but when I do I drill as large as possible so I can use the most rigid bar that'll fit...

ill run a twist drill in to take the bulk out. .. make it round again with a boring bar then ream. unless im doing something wrong but id prefer to avoid the reamer following the shitty hold a twist drill leaves.

I'm not a gunsmith but sell cutting tools for over 40 years.
standard machining practice is to bore for location, ream for size. a reamer just follows the existing hole.

Reactions: 81STFACP