• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a Folder Chassis

KnowNothing256

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 9, 2020
    Looking to get into a chassis, with the hope of something light enough for hunting but with adequate feature set, rigidity, and adaptability for the occasional competition. It'll be for the R700 SA footprint, right hand, and it needs to be a folder. Interested in thoughts on what's currently out there, including which is preferred when it comes to folding left vs right, ergonomics (I know it varies person to person, but I'm a pretty average sized fella), likes and dislikes with what you've used, etc. I expect I'll add weights at some point for balance, although it may not be critical as I'll be shooting suppressed mostly and that Ultra 7 should tip it forward a decent bit. I really like the look of the MPA Ultra Lite with an EVG and decent recoil pad, but I'm open to other suggestions in that price range. I don't like the looks of the HNT26 or Element Magnesium, so those are out for me.

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts y'all have.

I've been really happy with PDC Custom for a few years now. I've been through the Gen 4 Competition, then the X Project, and now the Gen5 Competition. Weight is reasonable (and weight kits are available if needed), I like the layout of the chassis, and the folding hinge on every one I have owned (5x different folders now) has locked up like a bank vault.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
    You can get KRG Bravo’s light (for a stock/chassis) and KRG Whiskey 3’s are heavier but still light for a chassis. Here’s a review by our own @Covertnoob5.

Poke around his channel for other chassis reviews.

I own the Whiskey folder chassis and like it. It’s really adjustable. You can put the Bravo butt on it to get it lighter for hunting.

You can get KRG Bravo’s light (for a stock/chassis) and KRG Whiskey 3’s are heavier but still light for a chassis. Here’s a review by our own @Covertnoob5.

Poke around his channel for other chassis reviews.

I own the Whiskey folder chassis and like it. It’s really adjustable. You can put the Bravo butt on it to get it lighter for hunting.
    Will it still fold with the Bravo butt installed?

I don’t believe so. But it would be good for hunting, and if you’re in a comp switch it out.

KRG took a lot of inspiration from Sako designs, which I like.
    Thanks for the info! Yeah, looking for folding functionality 100% of the time; I’ve lusted after the W3 for a long time and only the higher cost and weight keep me from buying one in the PX lol.

Look at the XLR Element 3.0 (now 4.0?). I have the magnesium version with folder and weight kit. I’ve used the same action and chassis for everything from PRS to the Tundra. It is easily converted from a heavy Comp chassis, then strip off the weight kits and take it hunting.

I do like a folder for hunting. When strapped to my pack (folded) the end of my suppressor barely sticks above my head. It makes maneuvering through brush much easier.

Just go 100% and buy an AI folder lol. I like those AIATs especially with the thumbholes, but maybe the AIAT-X is the way to go.

If they made a 223 bolt I’d probably do it (I shot 204), although not sure of those ergos. Never gotten behind one.

Heard AI is working on it and some fine fellow here has kits. I’m not a steel shooter, I shoot prairie dogs and the like.

Look at the XLR Element 3.0 (now 4.0?). I have the magnesium version with folder and weight kit. I’ve used the same action and chassis for everything from PRS to the Tundra. It is easily converted from a heavy Comp chassis, then strip off the weight kits and take it hunting.
    I think they’ve made a fine ultralight chassis, as far as weight and function go; unfortunately, I just utterly hate the look of it, and I don’t really like the HNT26 either. Wish I did, those are obvious choices if I could stand the aesthetics.

Just go 100% and buy an AI folder lol. I like those AIATs especially with the thumbholes, but maybe the AIAT-X is the way to go.

If they made a 223 bolt I’d probably do it (I shot 204), although not sure of those ergos. Never gotten behind one.

Heard AI is working on it and some fine fellow here has kits. I’m not a steel shooter, I shoot prairie dogs and the like.
    Any idea what the weight would be? I’m guessing it’s gonna be a fair bit more chunky, but can’t find the specs for some reason.

Any idea what the weight would be? I’m guessing it’s gonna be a fair bit more chunky, but can’t find the specs for some reason.

They say 12.6lbs but that strikes me as incorrect as the 24” barrel version lists the same weight. I always hear about how heavy they are. I’m no AI master, however. Mile High and Eurooptic carry them, and I’m sure other places too. Call ‘em.

I think they’ve made a fine ultralight chassis, as far as weight and function go; unfortunately, I just utterly hate the look of it, and I don’t really like the HNT26 either. Wish I did, those are obvious choices if I could stand the aesthetics.
    It may not suit your eye, but it meets your dual use requirement. I don’t know of any other folding chassis that go that light and that heavy. And it looks/feels better in the hand than online. At least that’s what she said. Magnesium 3.0 or 4.0 with carbon buttstock for hunting, then the heavier buttstock and weights kit for comps. Your targets won’t care what it looks like. It’s a tool.

Reactions: msstate56
    Honestly none of the chassis out there look as nice as say a Manners carbon fiber. But you won’t get light weight and a folder in anything but a chassis. I got over “looks” a long time ago. If my rifle functions how I need it to, that’s all that matters. I don’t sit back and admire the aesthetics, and I sure don’t care what it looks like when my cheek is on the cheek rest.

It may not suit your eye, but it meets your dual use requirement. I don’t know of any other folding chassis that go that light and that heavy. And it looks/feels better in the hand than online. At least that’s what she said. Magnesium 3.0 or 4.0 with carbon buttstock for hunting, then the heavier buttstock and weights kit for comps. Your targets won’t care what it looks like. It’s a tool.

Honestly none of the chassis out there look as nice as say a Manners carbon fiber. But you won’t get light weight and a folder in anything but a chassis. I got over “looks” a long time ago. If my rifle functions how I need it to, that’s all that matters. I don’t sit back and admire the aesthetics, and I sure don’t care what it looks like when my cheek is on the cheek rest.

I hear you both, and I appreciate the perspective. My functional needs will be served by all the normal offerings, I think, since pretty much all the mainstays have a solid reputation and many conversations about A vs. B end up coming down to personal ergonomics; weight is a clear differentiator since it's a fairly unambiguous number, but a lot of the rest of it is nuance or minutiae. Lighter is better as long as it doesn't compromise accuracy through flimsiness or poor contact, 100% agreed there.

Still, I'd wager I'm not alone in wanting something to be attractive as well as functional, and I understand that limits my options. Thanks for your thoughts though!

A Whiskey 3 with Bravo forend, a carbon barrel, ti or other lightweight action might interest you. With a suppressor I doubt you’d need much of any weight and the balance would be pretty spot on.

Manners do make folders, but I don’t know the weight. They also make short stocks for traveling with long extendable buttpads for when you want to shoot (for hunting). But adding weight may be problematic.

Their PRS stocks have ways to add some weight but not sure that system is transferable to their other stocks.

Anyway, things for you to look into., if you want.

Manners do make folders, but I don’t know the weight. They also make short stocks for traveling with long extendable buttpads for when you want to shoot (for hunting). But adding weight may be problematic.
    Their PRS stocks have ways to add some weight but not sure that system is transferable to their other stocks.

Anyway, things for you to look into., if you want.
    IIRC Manners folders are in the ballpark of 4.5lbs.

A Whiskey 3 with Bravo forend, a carbon barrel, ti or other lightweight action might interest you. With a suppressor I doubt you’d need much of any weight and the balance would be pretty spot on.
    I think you mean “Bravo buttstock” right? Because the W3 shares the forend with the Bravo, I believe.

I'd steered away from the W3 purely on weight, but I didn't realize you could lighten it up with a Bravo forend. Sounds like I'm calling KRG tomorrow haha

I just weighed a project sitting around to maybe give an idea:

W3 folder
    Bravo forend + KRG Arca rail + minimalist spigot
    Defiance Ruckus
    22” Proof Sendero
    Atlas Cal

10# on the dot.

Reactions: kRcu
    I have 2 chassis stocks and MDT and an XLR. I really like the XLR.

No and no. Backbone yes.
    Ahhh yes, I see now. KRG has so many options and configs it’s easy to get confused. Good idea! 1/2 lbs weight savings is nothing to sneeze at.

Now the Bravo buttstock fits on the W3 folder as well, right? So you could go bonkers on weight savings and fit that on there too, turning the W3 into a Bravo, no?

Absolutely and a lot of their stuff can be mixed and matched.

Yes and alternatively you can take a Bravo, purchase the TRG folding stock + new grip panels (700SA etc), and have a W3.

The only caveat is that in order to swap the rear action screw has to come out. Not a real big deal though.

Now the Bravo buttstock fits on the W3 folder as well, right?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no, at least not easily.

If someone wants a KRG folder, just buy a W-3 and be done. Don't know why anyone would want more complications.

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no, at least not easily.

If someone wants a KRG folder, just buy a W-3 and be done. Don't know why anyone would want more complications.

I own the W3 folder. The Bravo stock does fit on it. I’ve got an email into them about it fitting a folder, which I imagine will be no problem as they don’t call that out in the above link. I’m sure it takes a bit, maybe 5-30min of unscrewing a plethora of bolts (as a normal swap of anything on the W3).

The reason why someone might want to switch buttstocks is in the OP‘s original question. He wants to hunt and compete with one gun. From what I’ve gathered, the bravo buttstock is lighter than the one that is OEM to the W3.

I agree it would be a pain to be constantly switching back-and-forth. But, if it’s two or three switches a year, it’s not the end of the world. Personally, I’d buy another rifle!

My interest in the bravo buttstock revolves around the grip. My only real criticism about the W3 ergonomics is that the thumb shelf is too vertical or something, making it a wee bit uncomfy for me (I shoot off a bench). So, I just wrap my hand around the grip normally and forgo the thumb shelf.

The Bravo grip looks a little different in that area.

Last edited:
    KRG got back to me lightening fast. They said:

“The Bravo backend will work in the Whiskey-3 just fine. Our heavy LOP Spacers will work on the back end of the Bravo, plus we should have some internal weight kits coming in the next few months. The Beavo [ed: they meant Bravo] doesn’t have a thumb-shelf like the W3 as it is a bit more traditional in shape. It is closer to a TRG or McMillan than our other chassis.”

Sort of funny typo on their end (Beavo).

For the money and what you are describing I seriously look at the Magpul Pro. It folds and the plastic molded over the metal frame is much nicer to hold onto in cold temperatures. It sounds like it meets all your requirements.

Honestly they are all very good. Adjustability is a huge feature in my own mind but comes with a weight penalty. If you can find a chassis that fits you well without all the other adjustments you may have found the best option. Typically the folders are on the most expensive/adjustable chassis models though…

I own the W3 folder. The Bravo stock does fit on it. I’ve got an email into them about it fitting a folder, which I imagine will be no problem as they don’t call that out in the above link. I’m sure it takes a bit, maybe 5-30min of unscrewing a plethora of bolts (as a normal swap of anything on the W3).

The reason why someone might want to switch buttstocks is in the OP‘s original question. He wants to hunt and compete with one gun. From what I’ve gathered, the bravo buttstock is lighter than the one that is OEM to the W3.

I agree it would be a pain to be constantly switching back-and-forth. But, if it’s two or three switches a year, it’s not the end of the world. Personally, I’d buy another rifle!

My interest in the bravo buttstock revolves around the grip. My only real criticism about the W3 ergonomics is that the thumb shelf is too vertical or something, making it a wee bit uncomfy for me (I shoot off a bench). So, I just wrap my hand around the grip normally and forgo the thumb shelf.

The Bravo grip looks a little different in that area.
    Question : (I shoot lefty) as I'm in process of building another rifle and I like the 2 krg's that I have, but would really like this new one with a longer barrel to fold.

If I got a Bravo , with a whiskey 3 backbone , and got a whiskey 3 folder , couldn't I put it on that bravo ? When the folder folds, would it hit my bolt knob, since its on left not the right ?

Question : (I shoot lefty) as I'm in process of building another rifle and I like the 2 krg's that I have, but would really like this new one with a longer barrel to fold.

If I got a Bravo , with a whiskey 3 backbone , and got a whiskey 3 folder , couldn't I put it on that bravo ? When the folder folds, would it hit my bolt knob, since its on left not the right ?
    Just email KRG. They are very helpful and responsive.

Just email KRG. They are very helpful and responsive.
    Yeah I called them after I typed that message and did talk to them. Long story but yes, the folder will hit the bolt knob which is why they stopped offering that option on lefty chassis.

PDC does a left handed folder, if I remember right.

PDC does a left handed folder, if I remember right.
    I have looked at those a few times and the back of the rifle just doesn't suit me as well as krg and I have 2 other krg's as well as an extra enclosed forend so that's why I've been sort of stuck on it. It is possible to put a folder on the krg but I'd have to remove the bolt when I folded it.

Do you have a PDC? I'd like to know more about the cheek piece and the but stock pad adjustments. It looks like it's a lot like an mpa as far as the back of the rifle goes???

Just for the archives since the OP has proceeded past this: I have run an Element 1 for years, perfectly happy, and recently shot someone else's Element 4.0 in magnesium. He also had a carbon barrel and Ti receiver so a very good match for that, a very lightweight gun. I was also impressed at their upgrades. The folder and esp the tension system is improved, so I like XLR that much more now for the attention they pay to the details instead of just versioning for the hell of it.

I... am not tracking the aesthetics. They are chassis, so sorta post-industrial machinery anyway, and the Element is rather simpler and has cleaner lines than many of them to my eye so if I had to choose, I'd say I tend to like it, but I don't look at it too much.

I have looked at those a few times and the back of the rifle just doesn't suit me as well as krg and I have 2 other krg's as well as an extra enclosed forend so that's why I've been sort of stuck on it. It is possible to put a folder on the krg but I'd have to remove the bolt when I folded it.

Do you have a PDC? I'd like to know more about the cheek piece and the but stock pad adjustments. It looks like it's a lot like an mpa as far as the back of the rifle goes???

I have owned.... quite a few PDC chassis over the years. I currently have 4 of them (3x Gen5 Competition and 1x X Project). Three are tool free, one is a tool required adjustable buttstock. What would you like to know?

I have owned.... quite a few PDC chassis over the years. I currently have 4 of them (3x Gen5 Competition and 1x X Project). Three are tool free, one is a tool required adjustable buttstock. What would you like to know?
    The tool-less is one of the things I wanted to know but I think I'm settled on the krg at this point. I really prefer the cheek piece they have. Vs the shelf type cheek piece that most others have, as well as how easy it is to adjust. How the wheels lock and unlock just works really well vs the thumbscrews that are kind of difficult to use.

The tool-less is one of the things I wanted to know but I think I'm settled on the krg at this point. I really prefer the cheek piece they have. Vs the shelf type cheek piece that most others have, as well as how easy it is to adjust. How the wheels lock and unlock just works really well vs the thumbscrews that are kind of difficult to use.

The PDC tool less is a threaded rod, plus a wheel and detent, so no locking mechanism involved. In my experience, it's not needed anyway, as the PDC tool free adjustment doesn't move on its own. The PDC is pretty easy to adjust as needed, but I set mine and forget it. I go for tool free on most of mine due to the minute adjustment on LOP and cheek, and that everything stays secure once adjusted.

Cheek piece has two options for fore/aft position, and the rounded profile is comfortable either handed. I know he's been testing a cheek piece with lateral adjustment, but I am not sure if that's made it to the production models yet. I have one on the chassis on my B14R, but I have just left it centered and it's worked great for either hand for me.

Yeah I called them after I typed that message and did talk to them. Long story but yes, the folder will hit the bolt knob which is why they stopped offering that option on lefty chassis.
    Have you shot a w3 folder left handed yet? I had a gen 5 and when shooting same side thumb, it still felt cramped against the folding mechanism. I just ordered another gen6 but selected the fixed enclosed forend for that same reason. Sucked too cuz I loved the folder for hunting/packing.

also this was a right hand action. So I can’t comment on the bolt knob hitting, but I am sure it would

Have you shot a w3 folder left handed yet? I had a gen 5 and when shooting same side thumb, it still felt cramped against the folding mechanism. I just ordered another gen6 but selected the fixed enclosed forend for that same reason. Sucked too cuz I loved the folder for hunting/packing.

also this was a right hand action. So I can’t comment on the bolt knob hitting, but I am sure it would
    No not with a folder. I've not had a folder w-3. I'm not sure what you mean by it being cramped? It was cramped feeling when it was all the way out and locked up and you were shooting? I'd appreciate whatever else you can tell me about this.

Yeah when it wasn’t folded my thumb felt cramped/ touching the folding mechanism. It’s due to their design of the folder. Since it folds to the left side, the hinge is on that side. Which is weird because most folders fold to the right to capture the bolt. But then the chassis has to have a buttstock that is designed to clearance the bolt handle.

I have 2 of the W-3 fixed chassis and I love them, but I wanted a way to make my rifle shorter for putting it in my safe and for carrying it. When you get the longer barrels, it would really be nice to be able to make the stock fold, but I am kind of worried the folding mechanism will interfere with me running the bolt? I know it will hit the bolt knob , I talked to John at krg about it yesterday. That isn't as big of a deal though because I remove the bolt in those situations anyway. Of course if it interferes with me running the bolt, that's a huge issue and a deal breaker.